2 of 3
Ohio Terrorism
Posted: 19 May 2012 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
Occam. - 19 May 2012 12:31 PM

And, of course, the fanatics and demagogues (a few of which we have in this forum) on either side have no ability to recognize anything reasonable in the concerns of the other but rather tar them all with the same brush and come up with “clever” words to villify and belittle the other such as “Tea baggers” or “Occupoopers”.

Occam

Suddenly you have issue with a clever mid-word alliteration/alteration?  Perhaps you could refresh my memory on all the other times* you criticized the bigoted and homophobic slur “tea baggers” on this forum even when there have been no known cases of Tea Partiers tea bagging anyone?  I mean, if there were multiple cases of Tea Partiers tea bagging out in public, then by all means, slap that label on them because it would be well-deserved in that case!
grin 

*Not counting this one time when you think you must criticize both for fear of being labeled a hypocrite.

The difference, of course, is that the Tea Partiers didn’t tea bag anyone in public, but when it comes to OWS, their obsession with public feces is well documented:

From the infamous defecating on a police car…

Occupoop1.jpg

…and their other public defecation acts…

Occupoop2.jpg

(Stay classy OWS!)

…to the times they have thrown feces. 

Occupoop4.jpg

(At least it helps prove evolution as they are not that much different than monkeys!)

And the time they dumped Buckets of human waste inside a bank as seen here:

Occupoop3.jpg

If ever the moniker of “Occupooper” was deserved this is the case.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 19 May 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Ah yes, the Tu Quoque (You do it, too) critical thinking fallacy to justify one’s actions.  As I recall the Tea Party group called themselves “Tea Baggers” and even had hats with tea bags dangling down from the rims until they learned what the street meaning of the term was.  And, I’ve noticed that those in opposition have stopped using that term.

I can’t help but smile when I see a moderately objective statement that doesn’t attempt to justify either side met with a furious attack by someone who doesn’t seem to recognize the difference between rational argument and a contest pointing out the excesses of a few on the other side.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 May 2012 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3202
Joined  2011-11-04

It seems out of proportion to me to be so upset about some individuals in the 99% movement crapping in public while showing no outrage at all re: what the movement stands against:  Wall Street greed and an unfettered banking system that almost destroyed our entire economic system a few years ago, and did untlod more damge than a little bit of feces here or there.

Our government has done very little to change the underlying dynamics that led to our economic collapse.  Lobbyists have done much to insure this. 

IMO, the occupy movement is one small voice that is speaking out to counter the control of our government by powerful corporate interests and the wealthy. 

Republicans have co-opted the Tea Party movement, so they are no longer such a voice.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 May 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
TimB - 21 May 2012 11:43 AM

It seems out of proportion to me to be so upset about some individuals in the 99% movement crapping in public while showing no outrage at all re: what the movement stands against:  Wall Street greed and an unfettered banking system that almost destroyed our entire economic system a few years ago, and did untlod more damge than a little bit of feces here or there.

Well said! But that is a favorite tactic of those who would maintain the status quo: distract and change the subject.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 21 May 2012 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

Uggghhh!  sick  I find the public crapping more offensive then wall street greed, or banking shenanigans;  It’s no suprise that those institutions can’t really be trusted, but having upper middle class protesters drop a load in public - in order to grab attention, is unforgivable.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 22 May 2012 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15400
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 21 May 2012 08:14 PM

I find the public crapping more offensive then wall street greed, or banking shenanigans;  It’s no suprise that those institutions can’t really be trusted, but having upper middle class protesters drop a load in public - in order to grab attention, is unforgivable.

I assume you’re joking.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 May 2012 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

This reminds me of a story from my Christian days that I still love. A young idealistic preacher was speaking before a stuffy, well-heeled congregation and he decided to rock the boat a bit. He said something like this: “One third of the world will go to bed tonight hungry and I’d hazard a guess that most of you don’t give a shit.’ [Uncomfortable pause].  “And furthermore, most of you are at this moment more concerned that I just said the word ‘shit’ than you are about the 2 billion starving people.” Well, he was right about that.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 22 May 2012 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

“And furthermore, most of you are at this moment more concerned that I just said the word ‘shit’ than you are about the 2 billion starving people.” Well, he was right about that.

Funny thing is, I had a pastor of mine do exactly that during the course of a sermon he was delivering. (Back in my “Believer daze.”) This was in a Lutheran church which was fairly well heeled, albit predominantly liberal rather then conservative, but the base issues were exactly the same.

He did have a funny habit of giving people something to think about.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 22 May 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 22 May 2012 05:26 AM

“And furthermore, most of you are at this moment more concerned that I just said the word ‘shit’ than you are about the 2 billion starving people.” Well, he was right about that.

Funny thing is, I had a pastor of mine do exactly that during the course of a sermon he was delivering. (Back in my “Believer daze.”) This was in a Lutheran church which was fairly well heeled, albit predominantly liberal rather then conservative, but the base issues were exactly the same.

He did have a funny habit of giving people something to think about.

Yeah, I have heard that story so many times I’m sure it must be in the Manual for Radical Preachers or something.  wink

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 22 May 2012 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
dougsmith - 22 May 2012 04:04 AM
mid atlantic - 21 May 2012 08:14 PM

I find the public crapping more offensive then wall street greed, or banking shenanigans;  It’s no suprise that those institutions can’t really be trusted, but having upper middle class protesters drop a load in public - in order to grab attention, is unforgivable.

I assume you’re joking.

I’m joking a little, but the behavior of those individual protesters irritates me more.

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2012 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
FreeInKy - 22 May 2012 04:30 AM

This reminds me of a story from my Christian days that I still love. A young idealistic preacher was speaking before a stuffy, well-heeled congregation and he decided to rock the boat a bit. He said something like this: “One third of the world will go to bed tonight hungry and I’d hazard a guess that most of you don’t give a shit.’ [Uncomfortable pause].  “And furthermore, most of you are at this moment more concerned that I just said the word ‘shit’ than you are about the 2 billion starving people.” Well, he was right about that.

Clever way of getting his stupid point across - did the congregation break out in tears?

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2012 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 22 May 2012 05:18 PM

Clever way of getting his stupid point across - did the congregation break out in tears?

My guess is that the congregation, briefly and bemusedly reflected on the irony of their own hypocrisy, then continued on, still not caring about 2 billion starving people, but having a good story to tell about the preacher saying “shit”.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 23 May 2012 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
TimB - 23 May 2012 08:14 AM

My guess is that the congregation, briefly and bemusedly reflected on the irony of their own hypocrisy, then continued on, still not caring about 2 billion starving people, but having a good story to tell about the preacher saying “shit”.

If it had been my old congregation, they would have totally missed the irony and the deacons would have called a special meeting to apply some “church discipline” to that preacher.  rolleyes

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 23 May 2012 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
FreeInKy - 23 May 2012 08:28 AM
TimB - 23 May 2012 08:14 AM

If it had been my old congregation, they would have totally missed the irony and the deacons would have called a special meeting to apply some “church discipline” to that preacher.  rolleyes

Perhaps I was giving the staunch Protestant church-going type too much credit.

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-05-23

The occupy protests are getting ridiculous. People make a point of living beyond their means and going into debt, they should pay back that debt with interest.

2 of 3