3 of 3
Ohio Terrorism
Posted: 23 May 2012 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  2011-11-04
zmullin - 23 May 2012 11:54 AM

The occupy protests are getting ridiculous. People make a point of living beyond their means and going into debt, they should pay back that debt with interest.

The Occupy movement protests the social, political, and economic inequalities in the power structure for the very richest vs. the rest of society.  You know from personal experience that the wealthy can play by a different set of rules.  That is typically accepted in capitalistic societies until things get too far out of balance.  Things are getting too far out of balance.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-05-23

im not saying there shouldnt be some sort of change. I am saying that defecating on police vehicles, shutting down public parks, and encouraging people to go delinquent on their obligations is wrong.

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  2011-11-04
zmullin - 23 May 2012 12:38 PM

im not saying there shouldnt be some sort of change. I am saying that defecating on police vehicles, shutting down public parks, and encouraging people to go delinquent on their obligations is wrong.

Well there’s wrong and then there is WRONG.  The movement is right about protesting a larger WRONG in society, while a small minority of those associated with the movement have done some wrong things as part of their protest.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
TimB - 23 May 2012 12:47 PM
zmullin - 23 May 2012 12:38 PM

Well there’s wrong and then there is WRONG.  The movement is right about protesting a larger WRONG in society, while a small minority of those associated with the movement have done some wrong things as part of their protest.

Right. In every movement there are extremists. Don’t be distracted by them. Focus on the message.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 23 May 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I don’t think you’ll find anybody seriously disputing that. The problem as I see it is on a lot of levels, and not just the consumers living beyond their means but a system which encourages it.

We have an incredibly massive industry which thrives on selling people debt....mountains and mountains of debt. E-Z credit, title loans, “You Are Pre-Approved For The Hypermatter/Antimatter Visa Ultra Classic Super Platinum” (Or variations thereof which tries to make the rube feel like one of The Elite while being sold on going into ever more debt.)

Even worse is a bizaar system which rewards failure, mismanagement and incompatance. In this regard, I’m speaking of…just as an example…CEO’s who take on companys which are “Too Big To Fail”,

- mismanages them to the point where they do fail,

- cause the whole world economy to tank when they go under, and then

- collect multi-million dollar seperations packages and pensions when they get fired.

There is something seriously jacked up about that, and the Occupy Wallstreet people are trying to call attention to the fact. We don’t have to take the fringe types seriously, but the core part of the message is something we would do very well to listen to.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 24 May 2012 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

Nice post E.O.C

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 24 May 2012 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Jeciron - 24 May 2012 02:26 AM

Nice post E.O.C

Ditto that.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

3 of 3