Have Republicans become plain mean-spirited?  Take AZ’s Jan Brewer for example
Posted: 05 May 2012 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4405
Joined  2010-08-15

Arizona bans funding to Planned Parenthood in abortion fight
ReutersBy David Schwartz |  May 5, 2012
PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a bill banning abortion providers like Planned Parenthood from receiving money through the state, her office said in a statement.

The Republican-backed Whole Woman’s Health Funding Priority Act cuts off funding for family planning and health services delivered by Planned Parenthood clinics and other organizations offering abortions.

By signing this measure into law I stand with the majority of Americans who oppose the use of taxpayer funds for abortion,” Brewer said in a statement.

Arizona joins six other states with similar laws, officials said. But three of those states—Indiana, Kansas and North Carolina—are facing legal challenges.

Monday, Feb 6, 2012 11:00 AM MST
Arizona’s vicious war on workers
http://www.salon.com/2012/02/06/arizonas_vicious_war_on_workers/

Gov. Jan Brewer is pushing a radical anti-union bill that makes Wisconsin’s law look lax
By Sarah Jaffe, Alternet
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

—By Andy Kroll
| Tue Feb. 7, 2012 10:47 AM PST
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/coen-brothers-afscme-arizona-collective-bargaining

In Arizona, Republican Gov. Jan Brewer and state GOP lawmakers have taken a cue from Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker by taking aim at the collective bargaining rights of public sector unions. Except Arizona’s assault on workers’ rights is more extreme than Wisconsin’s. The bills introduced in the state senate there would eliminate all collective bargaining for public employees at the state, city, and county levels.

[ Edited: 05 May 2012 06:27 AM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 05 May 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
citizenschallenge.pm - 05 May 2012 05:39 AM

Arizona bans funding to Planned Parenthood in abortion fight
ReutersBy David Schwartz |  May 5, 2012
PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a bill banning abortion providers like Planned Parenthood from receiving money through the state, her office said in a statement.

The Republican-backed Whole Woman’s Health Funding Priority Act cuts off funding for family planning and health services delivered by Planned Parenthood clinics and other organizations offering abortions.

By signing this measure into law I stand with the majority of Americans who oppose the use of taxpayer funds for abortion,” Brewer said in a statement.

Arizona joins six other states with similar laws, officials said. But three of those states—Indiana, Kansas and North Carolina—are facing legal challenges.

Monday, Feb 6, 2012 11:00 AM MST
Arizona’s vicious war on workers
http://www.salon.com/2012/02/06/arizonas_vicious_war_on_workers/

Gov. Jan Brewer is pushing a radical anti-union bill that makes Wisconsin’s law look lax
By Sarah Jaffe, Alternet
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

—By Andy Kroll
| Tue Feb. 7, 2012 10:47 AM PST
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/coen-brothers-afscme-arizona-collective-bargaining

In Arizona, Republican Gov. Jan Brewer and state GOP lawmakers have taken a cue from Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker by taking aim at the collective bargaining rights of public sector unions. Except Arizona’s assault on workers’ rights is more extreme than Wisconsin’s. The bills introduced in the state senate there would eliminate all collective bargaining for public employees at the state, city, and county levels.

What mean-spiritedness are you referring to here? Brewer’s position concerning Planned Parenthood funding?

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 05 May 2012 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Cloak - 05 May 2012 06:32 PM

What mean-spiritedness are you referring to here? Brewer’s position concerning Planned Parenthood funding?

The whole “let them eat cake” attitude.

Trying to cripple PlannedParenthood, the attack on collective bargaining.
The love affair with guns and serious demonization of perceived enemies
It’s like they despise anyone who isn’t feeding them…

The absolutism…
The intolerance that goes beyond insults and venting down to a profound level of resentment of anyone who seems like threat…
And thanks to the Roves & Brewers and who-all that paranoia is being feed by the shovel fulls.

Signature 

Posted: 06 May 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I think you are saying the same thing Mother Jones Mag recently said. LINK

The cover says it all, WTF GOP?

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 06 May 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  451
Joined  2012-02-02

I can’t link to it as I’m on my phone, but the Governator just wrote an editorial where he said that the GOP is becoming too focused on maintaining ideological purity for its own good.  It reminds me of the Communists in the months before the Berlin Wall fell saying that those who were fleeing East Germany were only making East Germany stronger.

In a two party state like the US, when one party “goes off the rails” as the GOP is at risk of doing, both parties, and the nation as a whole, suffer greatly.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 07 May 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3351
Joined  2011-11-04
Coldheart Tucker - 06 May 2012 01:15 PM

I can’t link to it as I’m on my phone, but the Governator just wrote an editorial where he said that the GOP is becoming too focused on maintaining ideological purity for its own good.  It reminds me of the Communists in the months before the Berlin Wall fell saying that those who were fleeing East Germany were only making East Germany stronger.

In a two party state like the US, when one party “goes off the rails” as the GOP is at risk of doing, both parties, and the nation as a whole, suffer greatly.

IMO, the GOP has “gone off the rails”. and the nation is suffering.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 May 2012 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
TimB - 07 May 2012 09:38 AM
Coldheart Tucker - 06 May 2012 01:15 PM

IMO, the GOP has “gone off the rails”. and the nation is suffering.

And the Democrats have gotten too fat and lazy and bought off to do anything about it   downer

{yes, i’m a registered and sporadically active Democrat, but it don’t mean i like ‘em}

Signature 

Posted: 07 May 2012 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Unfortunately, the 1% has taken over most of the information sources and forced the politicians to cave to their requirements.  An Eisenhauer, a Goldwater, a Nixon, and even a Reagan would be considered far too liberal for present day Republicans.  Similarly, an F.D. Roosevelt, an Adelai Stevenson or a Lyndon Johnson would all be considered too liberal for the present day Democrats.  All we can do is remember the phrase, “The perfect is the enemy of the good”, vote for the lesser of two evils, and hope that the 1% gets carried way and steps in their own poo.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 May 2012 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3351
Joined  2011-11-04

The Republicans are (thanks to Karl Rove) experts at attacking their competitor on their own greatest weaknesses.  e.g., The economy is presented as Obama’s weakness.  The Republicans present themselves as the ones who can save us from certain economic doom.  (This despite the George W. administrations part in giving us the greatest economic downturn since the Great Depression).  Should the Republicans win this cycle, it is likely that the economic policies that the reactionary party, that they have become, will return us to pre-New Deal days.  The extreme gap between the haves and   have-nots will continue to grow unabated, and social safety nets for the poor will continue to shrivel.  Another economic collapse could lead to a Great Depression that makes the 1st one look like a picnic. 

This could happen under the Democrats, as well, though probably more gradually, unless we pressure them to act after they are elected, e.g., to do things like re-enact the Glass-Steagle Act.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.