An Atheist Candidate for U.S. President?
Posted: 05 May 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-05-05

I just nominated Rep Pete Stark, the first openly atheist member of Congress for President in AmericansElect. I really don’t think he’ll become a 3rd party candidate, but, with your support we can, hopefully, deliver a message that a naturalist and nonbeliever can be a bona fide candidate for our highest office in the land. If you agree, please join me:

http://www.americanselect.org/candidate/widget/235340

Cliff Andrew

Posted: 10 May 2012 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-05

Join in while there’s still time. Our favorite atheist in Congress now boasts Presidential supporters from 6 states: more than Rob Portman, Eric Cantor, Rush Limbaugh, and Samuel L Jackson!?!

Nominate Pete Stark on Americans Elect

Posted: 10 May 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

don-quixote.gif?w=300&h=254

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 10 May 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Excellent non-verbal reply, F-I-K.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 10 May 2012 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-05

@FIK>

Image Attachments
Edmund Burke.jpg

Posted: 11 May 2012 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Touché, Neuro. However, I did not mean to imply that we should sit idly by.  I just think it is more important to choose our battles carefully than to just do anything because something needs to be done. There are plenty of good battles to be fought against the real giants.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-05

Well, KY, then we’ll have to disagree on this one. Just keep in mind that your windmill may be someone else’s cause.

I believe there are too many atheists out there just sitting in their basements grumbling about the fact that there is no god, or spending their time in front of laptops talking to other atheists on chat rooms, rather than going out there and actually doing something about it in the real world!

Neuro

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-05

P.S.

Click here to let the rest of the world know that there is, indeed, a self-proclaimed atheist in congress

excaim

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
neuro - 11 May 2012 06:05 AM

Well, KY, then we’ll have to disagree on this one. Just keep in mind that your windmill may be someone else’s cause.

I believe there are too many atheists out there just sitting in their basements grumbling about the fact that there is no god, or spending their time in front of laptops talking to other atheists on chat rooms, rather than going out there and actually doing something about it in the real world!

That may be true. But please don’t assume that those of us who don’t join your cause are like those guys sitting around in the basement. (And I’ll try to do the same.  wink  )

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 13 May 2012 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
FreeInKy - 11 May 2012 06:38 AM
neuro - 11 May 2012 06:05 AM

That may be true. But please don’t assume that those of us who don’t join your cause are like those guys sitting around in the basement. (And I’ll try to do the same.  wink  )

Do we atheists resemble this basement dweller?

Image Attachments
1438.jpg
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 May 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-05

You all can forget about this.

Apparently, Americans Elect could not get any good third party candidates to get enough support (1000 votes in 5 states) to qualify. The response nationwide was much like seen on this discussion forum.

So now I can get out and work on getting the only President to mention the word “nonbelievers” in an Inaugural Address reelectged. I’ll work Virginia and Pennsylvania this year!

neuro

Posted: 21 May 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
neuro - 21 May 2012 09:02 AM

So now I can get out and work on getting the only President to mention the word “nonbelievers” in an Inaugural Address reelectged. I’ll work Virginia and Pennsylvania this year!

Now that’s an effort I can (and do) get behind!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 21 May 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3216
Joined  2011-08-15

We’re going to have a hard time in the political sphere as most Americans rank us with rapists! Apparently, philanderers, thieves, closet homosexuals, et. al are allowed in congress but not the atheists. Sounds like a scene from the “Blazing Saddles” movie.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-10/religion-atheism/51777612/1

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 May 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-05
Thevillageatheist - 21 May 2012 10:16 AM

...Apparently, philanderers, thieves, closet homosexuals, et. al are allowed in congress but not the atheists…

Cap’t Jack

To quote Jerry Seinfeld “Not that there’s anything wrong…” with closet homosexuals except that most of them are hypocritical Republicans!

neuro

Posted: 21 May 2012 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3216
Joined  2011-08-15

Not that there’s anything wrong…” with closet homosexuals except that most of them are hypocritical Republicans

My point exactly! wink

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine