10 of 10
Raising Secular Humanist Kids
Posted: 01 October 2008 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4097
Joined  2006-11-28

Sorry Occam, I disagree.

The shift came with George’s ambiguous sigh and sad smiley (Post #70), which I took to be a comment on Mriana’s point, which did seem to be that she thought her deliberate exposure of her kids to a variety of points of view helped them to fight off the local hypereligious culture’s influence (was this not part of your point, Mriana?). She and erasmus asked what George’s post meant, and I took advantage of the opportunity to clarify and simultaneously tweak George about an ongoing difference of opinion we have. Erasmus, George, Mriana, vanessa, and I then followed the digression (still related to the original subject) until post #112, where my fellow Moderator Occam hijacked it with a cryptic yet pointedly acerbic comment about the ongoing discussion. Blame enough to go around, boys and girls. grin

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 01 October 2008 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
mckenzievmd - 01 October 2008 06:12 PM

...until post #112, where my fellow Moderator Occam hijacked it with a cryptic yet pointedly acerbic comment about the ongoing discussion.

LOL  LOL

Teasing Occam is also fun!

Posted: 01 October 2008 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Total Posts:  7597
Joined  2007-03-02
mckenzievmd - 01 October 2008 06:12 PM

Sorry Occam, I disagree.

The shift came with George’s ambiguous sigh and sad smiley (Post #70), which I took to be a comment on Mriana’s point, which did seem to be that she thought her deliberate exposure of her kids to a variety of points of view helped them to fight off the local hypereligious culture’s influence (was this not part of your point, Mriana?). She and erasmus asked what George’s post meant, and I took advantage of the opportunity to clarify and simultaneously tweak George about an ongoing difference of opinion we have. Erasmus, George, Mriana, vanessa, and I then followed the digression (still related to the original subject) until post #112, where my fellow Moderator Occam hijacked it with a cryptic yet pointedly acerbic comment about the ongoing discussion. Blame enough to go around, boys and girls. grin

Actually, they weren’t exposed to a variety of POVs as you are thinking (or I’m assuming you are thinking).  I said I avoided Evangelical Fundamentalism like the plague for starters.  The only religious POV they were exposed to was Episcopalian.  I read a lot of different things to them,  including religious and mythical texts.  My older son wasn’t exposed to Buddhist text until he was a teenager (at 19 he still is).  So over the years they were exposed to different mythical texts, but it was over a period of years, not all in their childhood.  However, not everything as I pointed out in post #68 was religious and/or mythical.  There was quite a bit of science too, as well as plenty of other literature.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

10 of 10