reflections with Maurice Sendak, {kids book author & illustrator}, in four acts
Posted: 08 May 2012 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

Those of you who have had kids are familiar with Maurice Sendak’s kids books, and wild artwork.
Sad to report he died this morning at 83.

Terri Gross at WHYY’s Fresh Air interviewed Sendak four times and commemorated this evenings show to exerts from those interviews.
Great interviews and as I’ve come to expect from Terri Gross she brings out conversation and aspects of the man that other interviewers were blind to.

Even more fun for over here, listen up

All you happy atheists out there, Sandak has some most interesting reflections towards the end of the third interview and sprinkled throughout his last interview when he is looking death in the eye…

Worth the listen,  trust me on this one. . . . . . .   cheese

May 8, 2012
http://www.npr.org/2012/05/08/152248901/fresh-air-remembers-author-maurice-sendak
Author and illustrator Maurice Sendak, whose classic children’s book Where the Wild Things Are became a perennial and award-winning favorite for generations of children, died this morning (5/8/12). He was 83.

and most recently Bumble-ardy

exerts from interviews in: 1989 ~ 1993 ~ 2003 ~ September 2011

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 09 May 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

What a great commentary on the great Sendak.  I’ve always been a great promoter of grand opera and was thrilled when Sendak was hired by the N.Y. Met Opera Company to design their next production of “The Magic Flute.”  It became a perfect match with the music, costumes and his own set designs.

When I had a bookstore on the central coast of California, my Christmas windows were filled with all the doll designs found of the Wild Things he wrote about.  It was a winner for me.  I did not sell the dolls but my supply of his books sold out. 

Thank you for the thread.