1 of 2
Obama says he supports same-sex marriage
Posted: 09 May 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Wow!

“At a certain point, I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to affirm same-sex couples should be able to get married,” Obama said in an interview with ABC News.

Obama was “disappointed” by Tuesday’s vote on the issue in North Carolina, which he described as discriminatory against gays and lesbians, a spokesman said earlier Wednesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/09/politics/obama-same-sex-marriage/

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 09 May 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29

I guess Obama & company must have calculated that this is the right move. Considering the large number of hispanics who oppose gay marriage, though, I am having a hard time following Obama’s strategy here.

Posted: 09 May 2012 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Maybe Obama is trying to pump up Hollywood to get their help…(?).

Posted: 09 May 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2750
Joined  2011-11-04

I imagine that he has personally, been in favor of gay marriage rights for some time.  But being pragmatic and politically a centrist (compared to most progressives) he has mainly voiced support, only for comparable rights, such as theoretically could be afforded in civil unions.

I think that, in addition to a large number of hispanics who oppose gay marriage, there are a large number of African Americans who oppose it, also.  I doubt, however, that Obama will lose many votes among African Americans for this one issue.  Among other groups, those who would vote against him for this particular issue, would probably be voting against him anyway.  So he might as well do what’s right, since the political pluses of doing so, probably balance out the liabilities of doing so.l

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 09 May 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
TimB - 09 May 2012 12:58 PM

Among other groups, those who would vote against him for this particular issue, would probably be voting against him anyway.

Maybe. But some people may simply not vote at all (instead of voting for Romney) which could be equally damaging to him. But I guess Obama’s gang knows what they are doing…

Posted: 09 May 2012 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2750
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 09 May 2012 01:07 PM
TimB - 09 May 2012 12:58 PM

Among other groups, those who would vote against him for this particular issue, would probably be voting against him anyway.

Maybe. But some people may simply not vote at all (instead of voting for Romney) which could be equally damaging to him. But I guess Obama’s gang knows what they are doing…

I think you’re right, but politically, I am hoping it is a wash.  So he might as well be on the right side of history.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 10 May 2012 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

Also, keep in mind that 39% of the voters voted against the Tennessee bill. That’s a lot of people, and that should at least give some hope, that being a bible belt state.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 10 May 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

The way I see it, the vast majority of people for whom this position would sway against Obama are already going to vote against him or stay home. It will cause a few to not vote for him, but it may energize his progressive base, which needs something to get excited about.

Like someone else said, it’s probably a wash. But there is a chance this might just get him some momentum.

Bottom line, it was the right thing to do and for that I am grateful, whatever the political machinations may be. Not that it will translate into any immediate change, but it’s a start.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 10 May 2012 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I also thought it was pretty smart of Obama to use the Golden Rule to back up his support for gay marriage. For those who disagree with gay marriage, religion is often the first and last resource to justify their stand of this issue. If this topic ever came up in a debate between Romney and Obama, Romney would probably have a very hard time dismissing the importance of the Golden Rule.

Posted: 10 May 2012 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Good grief. This is why I stopped reading P.Z. Meyers’ blog.

Jebus Teetotalin’ Christ. That’s the best we’ve got from Obama? Seriously? It’s taken him this long to “evolve” to the point where he can take a personal (not even a political) stand on civil rights?

I am not impressed.

I dare Obama to now stand up and fight for this right. None of this pussy-footing around — he’s going to get screwed by the haters already — so he might as well take a strong stand and earn the goddamned liberal/progressive vote.

This is the kind of rhetoric I would have stood up and applauded enthusiastically—when I was 18 years old. The problem is, people like Meyers either don’t understand or don’t care that one cannot be a “flaming liberal” (much as many of us would like to think otherwise) and be politically successful. And under our system, people cannot affect change without having successful politicians on their side.

I strongly suspect that Mr. Obama has much more strident personal opinions than he voices publicly on a lot of issues. But he knows better than to voice them publicly. I don’t see how it does the cause any good to drive wedges between the fragile coalitions of people who generally vote democratic.

As a wise person once told me, better a lukewarm Democrat in office than a raging Republican. And given the current climate, those are probably our only options.

Here is the link to the blog post: Pharyngula

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 10 May 2012 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Tactically Obama did the right thing here. The Dems can spin this into a civil rights issue for certain and it should play well with those who were and are still are being discriminated against because of their race, creed (or lack of), sex or economic status. He may not even agree with same-sex marriage per se do to his christian roots, but sometimes presidents are pulled along by causes they don’t agee with especially during an election year. It was a bold move on his part but better to be in front of an issue than behind it.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 May 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15300
Joined  2006-02-14
Thevillageatheist - 10 May 2012 09:07 AM

Tactically Obama did the right thing here. The Dems can spin this into a civil rights issue for certain and it should play well with those who were and are still are being discriminated against because of their race, creed (or lack of), sex or economic status. He may not even agree with same-sex marriage per se do to his christian roots, but sometimes presidents are pulled along by causes they don’t agee with especially during an election year. It was a bold move on his part but better to be in front of an issue than behind it.

I think you have this backwards. This is an issue he was almost certainly in favor of long ago, but one he did not feel he could politically get behind until now; and even so I expect it will hurt him in the upcoming presidential race. I think he knows it as well but probably felt he didn’t have a choice since everyone knew where he stood on it anyway, especially after his VP got behind it.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 May 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I really doubt what Biden said on the weekend wasn’t planned. Not buying it at all.

Posted: 10 May 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Our own Paul Fidalgo gets it:

On to the practical. Add this all up, and look at the electoral map with an analytical eye. Politically, the president would be handing the White House to Romney by advocating for or initiating federal action on behalf of national marriage equality. Imagine the barrage, the overwhelming deluge of attack ads in states like Ohio and Virginia that would hammer the president for imposing his imperial, hyperliberal will on OUR upstanding, independent, moral state. Obama’s message to the swing states is, in essence, “I’m cool with gays getting married, but don’t worry guys, I’m not going to mess with your state.” Electorally, he has no choice. And it goes without saying that, as Obama himself points out, a Romney presidency would mean the opposite; a president who would work to impose his view of marriage at the federal level, whether your state likes it or not—which is true!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 10 May 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15300
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 10 May 2012 09:40 AM

I really doubt what Biden said on the weekend wasn’t planned. Not buying it at all.

Biden has always been gaffe prone, one who speaks his mind before engaging his brain. What I’ve read is that Obama planned to make this statement at some point before the convention, but Biden forced his hand.

Anyhow it doesn’t make much of a difference.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 May 2012 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Wow, a black man supports gay-rights!  I am relieved to hear it.  The struggle to be more open-minded to others is a real achievement, those who do it should be commended.  I’d like to see more open-minded blacks and hope that Obama is setting a good example for them.  The gays haven’t done anything wrong and don’t deserve bad treatment, the are citizens who deserve their full rights recognized.  The civil rights movement of the 1950’s and 60’s included the women, and the gays, it wasn’t just black.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

1 of 2