2 of 10
Why did God create the Earth and humanity in the first place?
Posted: 11 May 2012 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 11 May 2012 07:54 PM

They couldn’t fault his logic so they summarily excommunicated him the same day!

I have to say I got a kick out of that!

Now that’s funny!  But I thought aliens had to come from another planet.  LOL

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 12 May 2012 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

But I thought aliens had to come from another planet.

According to the religulous, “He” came from outside of space and time itself. Can’t get much more alien then that!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 13 May 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 12 May 2012 05:03 AM

According to the religulous, “He” came from outside of space and time itself. Can’t get much more alien then that!

I never thought of it like that.  I expect “He” must be avoiding Arizona, these days, with their tough anti-illegal alien laws.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 13 May 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
TimB - 13 May 2012 03:29 PM
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 12 May 2012 05:03 AM

I never thought of it like that.  I expect “He” must be avoiding Arizona, these days, with their tough anti-illegal alien laws.

They can’t arrest what they can’t see.

Of course if they do arrest Him we will have a global ecclesiastical crisis.

We can never have enough global crises.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 13 May 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

God created humanity because she was bored and needed entertainment from a bunch of clowns arguing over whether to worship her or not.  hmmm

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 13 May 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I expect “He” must be avoiding Arizona, these days, with their tough anti-illegal alien laws.

I’d avoid Arizona because of the climate. If God(s), ET’s, or illegals want it, they can have it!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 14 May 2012 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  2889
Joined  2011-08-15

I’d avoid Arizona because of the climate. If God(s), ET’s, or illegals want it, they can have it!

If the climate scientists are right, and it seems that they are with more data coming almost daily, then it’s about to get a hell of a lot hotter there. Even the big g will avoid it!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 May 2012 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2012-04-25

I had a very interesting discussion at work today with a gent who was essentially agnostic and didn’t care who knew it. (In South Carolina, that’s gutsy.)

When he was still part of a church group, he asked the pastor in a question and answer session why they were worshipping an alien.

HUH??? (Startled pastor blinks in surprise.)

Talk about a question which they weren’t expecting. When the pastor asked him why he though their deity was an alien, he pointed out that if he existed, he HAD to be from somewhere OTHER then Earth, which made Him an alien. (You can’t BE from a place you created!)

They couldn’t fault his logic so they summarily excommunicated him the same day!

Good one!  And since there are many on earth who don’t want God here, I guess that makes him an Illegal Alien!

Posted: 15 May 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
DarronS - 11 May 2012 07:31 PM

As FIK, I’m a former evangelical Christian. I even spent half a semester in seminary before being asked to leave. They didn’t like it when I asked where the light between the galaxies came from.

As for the Biblical reasons God created the universe, FIK nailed with his third idea. According to what I got out of the Bible, God created the universe so humans could spend eternity praising Him. Which means God, as depicted in the Bible, is an insecure egocentric jerk. He is also the biggest mass murderer in history. Think about it. The Bible says God is all-knowing, so he knew beforehand that most of the people he created would wind up in Hell suffering eternal torment, yet he proceeded with Creation anyway just so the people who believed in Him could sit around in Heaven all day singing about what a swell guy God is. That is premeditated genocide, all to feed His ego.

Darron, do you ever imagine your former self hearing your present self saying stuff like this? I imagine my former self cringing in horror at what has become of him!  LOL Then I pause and consider that the only thing stopping him was fear, and maybe being happy that he eventually conquered it. At any rate, my present self is quite happy.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 15 May 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4625
Joined  2007-10-05
FreeInKy - 15 May 2012 08:45 AM

Darron, do you ever imagine your former self hearing your present self saying stuff like this? I imagine my former self cringing in horror at what has become of him!  LOL Then I pause and consider that the only thing stopping him was fear, and maybe being happy that he eventually conquered it. At any rate, my present self is quite happy.

Yeah, there was a time when these thoughts would have terrified me. I enrolled in seminary seeking answers, and as I studied the Bible I realized it contained no answers, only stories that do not match reality. When one of my friends challenged me to read On the Origin of Species I found the answers I had been seeking. When I read Carl Sagan’s The Dragons of Eden the gig was up. I am much happier as an atheist than I ever was as a Christian. The teachers at seminary thought a demon had possessed me.  LOL I felt like I had regained my sanity.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 16 May 2012 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
DarronS - 15 May 2012 09:06 AM
FreeInKy - 15 May 2012 08:45 AM

I imagine my former self cringing in horror at what has become of him!

Yeah, there was a time when these thoughts would have terrified me.

Yeah, that is a transition I don’t identify with at all.  Maybe that is why I don’t really get very angry about religion.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 13 June 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2011-10-01

I think what Christians should say is that God created the universe so that He could have a loving relationship with us or something like that, and they should just get rid of the idea of worship altogether. Now I still think this makes no sense whatsoever, but it’s a lot less offensive than the idea of a being who creates us simply in order to be worshiped and praised.

Signature 

“Life is shit, but the graphics is good”

Posted: 14 June 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03

I had a very interesting discussion at work today with a gent who was essentially agnostic and didn’t care who knew it. (In South Carolina, that’s gutsy.)

When he was still part of a church group, he asked the pastor in a question and answer session why they were worshipping an alien.

HUH??? (Startled pastor blinks in surprise.)

Talk about a question which they weren’t expecting. When the pastor asked him why he though their deity was an alien, he pointed out that if he existed, he HAD to be from somewhere OTHER then Earth, which made Him an alien. (You can’t BE from a place you created!)

Now that’s an interesting story!!

Posted: 14 June 2012 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  5189
Joined  2010-06-16

Yup, logic will get you kicked out of a church every time.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 June 2012 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  2889
Joined  2011-08-15

But not theft, adultery or pedophilia, you can be forgiven for that.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

2 of 10