Atheist Ministering to the Flock
Posted: 10 May 2012 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Teresa MacBain portrait with husband

Atheist Minister Speaks Out Publicly for First Time

“Tallahassee, Fl—4/21/12”

“A former Methodist pastor spoke publicly for the first time Saturday 4-21-12 since coming out as an Atheist.

“Teresa MacBain was part of a panel that spoke at the Humanist of Florida Association’s North Regional Conference. MacBain left her position as pastor at the Lake Jackson United Methodist in Tallahassee last month 3-30.”

(click the pic.)

[ Edited: 10 May 2012 10:25 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 10 May 2012 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

They had a great radio piece about her a week or so ago on NPR. Brave woman. Even her husband is still a Christian.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 24 August 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Jerry DeWitt at a lectern

A Born-Again Preacher Becomes an Atheist Leader

Jerry DeWitt “... became the first graduate of The Clergy Project, an organization devoted to giving non-believing preachers a way to communicate their frustrations.”

From the audio interview:
[4:45]“My love for the congregation propelled me into study for myself, not just to regurgitate the religious rhetoric that I had been fed up until seventeen, but to actually study for myself so I could look at the people I love and say, yeah, it really is true that if you do this and that the god of the Universe is going to allow you to be punished eternally.  Well before I could say that I had to find out for myself, and so studying the Bible particularly at that moment the King James version of the Bible,  I began to see there were English transition (sic) flaws, there were errors, there were alot of different concepts, so that was the beginning of the end for me, but unfortunately it took me twenty-five years to unravel every single piece of it. “

Doubt is truly about love.  grin  Love for the pursuit and practice of knowledge, eupraxsophy, and love for one’s friends and family.  grin  Don’t take the long hard road that DeWitt did, instead why not start disregarding the Bible today?  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.