1 of 2
Indiana Newbie
Posted: 11 May 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-05-11

Yes I am in Indiana. I know it’s hard to believe but not everyone here is a conservative right wing Christian…well at least not me. I stumbled upon this forum from an article in our local paper about a couple in Indianapolis who wanted to get married with their own belief minister but the state would not recognize their marriage. (Welcome to Indiana). It’s a sad state where religion controls everything. I really needed to find a forum where I can talk to others that have the same or similar mindset as mine. As an ex Charismatic Christian living around nobody that shares my ever evolving views on life, this forum looks like a great place to learn and understand that I am NOT alone in my thinking. Please give me a little time to adjust to the new surroundings. I will be asking a lot of questions.

Thanks everyone for giving me a chance to belong.

Signature 

“Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck” - George Carlin

Posted: 11 May 2012 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Wow, a neighbor (I’m in Kentucky) and a fellow former fundy who quotes the late great Carlin. Friend, you and I are going to get along great! Welcome to the forum.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-05-11

Thanks FreeInKy   cheese

Signature 

“Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck” - George Carlin

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Dizzy. Sorry to hear about your travails in Indiana—at least you have the internet though, and places like this where you can come and hang out with like-minded folks. (Though you’ll find all types here as well!)

Enjoy yourself, and of course, please do ask a lot of questions!

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2888
Joined  2011-08-15

Howdy Hoosier!  I’m another neighbor in So. Oh. Traveled all through your State and used to live in South Bend. Welcome and you’ll certainly enjoy this site. Jump in!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-05-11
dougsmith - 11 May 2012 06:16 AM

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Dizzy. Sorry to hear about your travails in Indiana—at least you have the internet though, and places like this where you can come and hang out with like-minded folks. (Though you’ll find all types here as well!)

Enjoy yourself, and of course, please do ask a lot of questions!

Cheers,

Thanks dougsmith…I am sure I will be asking lots of questions

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-05-11
Thevillageatheist - 11 May 2012 06:18 AM

Howdy Hoosier!  I’m another neighbor in So. Oh. Traveled all through your State and used to live in South Bend. Welcome and you’ll certainly enjoy this site. Jump in!

Cap’t Jack

Thanks Cap’t Jack….I live in Elkhart so that should tell you a lot about my situation in Indiana…LOL!

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Used to go there all the time. I delivered laundry supplies to a towel company in Elkhart and we visited the Conn instrument factory several times. I wonder if it’s still there? They had a small instrument museum there at one time. And my father and I owned a sailboat then and used to sail on Lake Maxinkuckee near Culver. Really enjoyed the scenery!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-05-11
Thevillageatheist - 11 May 2012 06:42 AM

Used to go there all the time. I delivered laundry supplies to a towel company in Elkhart and we visited the Conn instrument factory several times. I wonder if it’s still there? They had a small instrument museum there at one time. And my father and I owned a sailboat then and used to sail on Lake Maxinkuckee near Culver. Really enjoyed the scenery!

Cap’t Jack

Yes Conn (aka Conn-Selmer) is still here but I do not know about the museum. Lake Maxinkuckee is a great place for Walleye!

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Dizzy.  Glad to have you here.  I think you’ll enjoy it and find it a refreshing change, as well as a respite from the religious.  I have the same probs here in MO.  It can be pretty bad.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 11 May 2012 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14

“Que lo que Bacano o bacana?”  No, I’m not Puerto Rican or Dominican.  I just like to try out greetings from other languages.  Maybe you don’t even speak Spanish?
Half of my forefathers were Kentucky transplants who moved to Indiana around 1890s. Barefooters with dirt floors.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 12 May 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

“Que lo que Bacano o bacana?”  No, I’m not Puerto Rican or Dominican.  I just like to try out greetings from other languages.  Maybe you don’t even speak Spanish?
Half of my forefathers were Kentucky transplants who moved to Indiana around 1890s. Barefooters with dirt floors.

Ouch! Stereotype alert! Ok, so we had 38 feuds then. So what? surprised

Cap ‘t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 May 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
Dizzy Spyder - 11 May 2012 06:47 AM

Yes Conn (aka Conn-Selmer) is still here but I do not know about the museum. Lake Maxinkuckee is a great place for Walleye!

Ah, yes. Conn makes some nice trombones.

smile

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 12 May 2012 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
Thevillageatheist - 12 May 2012 05:41 PM

Ouch! Stereotype alert! Ok, so we had 38 feuds then. So what? surprised

Cap ‘t Jack

I like Kentucky.  I’m not an Indianer.  I was raised near Buffalo, NY.  That’s what I consider home.  But I like Kentucky and all the Bluegrass and hillbilly and coal-mining culture that comes from Kentucky.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 13 May 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

I’m a hillbilly from the neighbouring area of MO, where we say “Missoura” and at one time I had kin in Kentucky.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 14 May 2012 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Guys, we’ re not just the land of “fast horses and wild women” and the feuds are over now! BIll Monroe did create a new form of music with bluegrass (traditional music played fast!) but the whole coal mining thing didn’t even begin until the the 1870’s and mostly in Eastern Ky. The bluegrass area (center of the State) was settled first and was the home of plantations and blooded horses, ie the upper class elite. Still is. Think of my personal pick as top Kentuckian, Henry Clay. My hometown is named after his plantation. His home still stands BTW. Five presidents once stood in his library (not at the same time mind you). The rest of it is now called the University of Ky.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

1 of 2