Woe is me
Posted: 15 May 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

So there I was, walking down the street, listening to a great POI podcast on my Android phone. Chris Mooney was interviewing Greta Christina and they were discussing how religious people come to be atheists. I was thinking about what I might say to the next Christian or whatever who tried to convert me to his or her faith.

Then, out of nowhere, I see a young man approaching on a bicycle. He was wearing a dress shirt and tie, black slacks, and had a plastic smile permanently attached to his face. As he apporached me and stopped his bike, I realized—too late—what you the reader have already deduced. Yes, he was a Mormon and he was out prosletyzing. The conversation only lasted maybe 30 seconds, and then he was on his way. It only hit me after he left and I stood there dazed and confused, what had just happened.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster, praise his pasta, had provided this witnessing opportunity which I had let slip away. When the young Mormon handed me a card with information about his church, I had simply said “thank you” and went on my way. I didn’t utter a single word in protest. Didn’t bring up my own deity at all. Didn’t tell him about Pastafarianism or the gloriousness of His Noodly Appendeges. Woe is me!

What shall my pennance be?

And why am I suddenly craving Fazoli’s?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 15 May 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

LOL

I think you did the right thing. Enough to say, “I’m not interested” and be on your way. No need to be nasty.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 May 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3264
Joined  2011-08-15

I agree and who has the time to educate a closed and locked mind in the middle of the street anyway. Besides you would in all probability feel bad for the kid in the long run. Taking his card doesn’t make you one of the cult. It just meant you’re polite and Unless he blocks your path and is persistent, then consider the source and go your merry way, expressing “there for the grace of the noodley one go I”.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 May 2012 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

While it’s best to say, “I’m not interested”, I sometimes come up with a smart remark, which they really hate.  I haven’t had a JW or a Mormon talk to me or knock on my door in a long time.  I have a tendency to tick them off.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 May 2012 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Thanks for the understanding and support, folks. Still, I feel I let down the FSM. As penance, I’m going to avoid meatballs for 3 months.

In all seriousness, I never even considered a rejoinder. It would have been less than futile and only served to waste time from an otherwise enjoyable after lunch stroll.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 16 May 2012 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3264
Joined  2011-08-15

My point exactly, and we are vitrually surrounded by fundies, especially here. Fundies to the right of me, fundies to the left vollyed and thundered!! If you really want to hack them off just ignore their meaningless rants. Tell them to: “Have a nice day” grin

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 May 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  817
Joined  2012-04-25

Knowing now that folks like that’s minds are basically closed up tight, I’d just take their card, thank them, and move along.  BUT in my college days when I was always ready for confrontation, I did have an experience with Mormons. They came to my apartment once with their Book of Mormon in hand (which I did want, to read plus it was a free book, can’t turn that down!).  I asked them in to discuss things.  They gave their spiel, and I politely said thanks, now you can listen to mine.  I spent the next couple of minutes telling them about Secular Humanism.  They were polite.  Then at the end they offered me their book.  I said absolutely, as long as I can give THEM a copy of “Why I Am Not A Christian” by Bertrand Russell.  I said it was only fair.  Guess what? They absolutely refused to take the book.  I ended up taking their book because I was genuinely curious.  They on the other hand were not.

Posted: 21 May 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

Of course they weren’t curious. Their minds are already made up, so no amount of facts or logic will get through to them.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 21 May 2012 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05
FreeInKy - 15 May 2012 10:48 AM

What shall my pennance be?

And why am I suddenly craving Fazoli’s?

You must eat spaghetti and meatballs until your stomach hurts.

Then pray for forgiveness until it stops hurting.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  6175
Joined  2009-02-26
FreeInKy - 16 May 2012 05:55 AM

Thanks for the understanding and support, folks. Still, I feel I let down the FSM. As penance, I’m going to avoid meatballs for 3 months.

In all seriousness, I never even considered a rejoinder. It would have been less than futile and only served to waste time from an otherwise enjoyable after lunch stroll.

OTOH you might have shaken his beliefs to its foundation and in his confusion he might have forgotten to signal his reentry into the traffic and be run over by a truck.

Could you have lived with that guilt?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U