Sitting baaddd - Stand Up, Walk Around
Posted: 16 May 2012 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

Guess I could have added this to the bottom of that exercise thread I started, but to be honest upon reflection all in all that video was a disappointment.  On the other hand, this recent short radio interview {yea, with Terri Gross, go figure} seemed packed with good info, sans lots of empty blahblah.

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/09/152336802/stand-up-walk-around-even-just-for-20-minutes
Interview with Gretchen Reynolds, New York Times Phys Ed columnist.

“...But new research shows that even regular exercisers may not be doing enough to counteract the health hazards of sitting down at a desk all day long…”
“Sitting for long periods of time — when you don’t stand up, don’t move at all — tends to cause changes physiologically within your muscles,” says Reynolds. “You stop breaking up fat in your bloodstream, you start getting accumulations of fat ... in your liver, your heart and your brain. You get sleepy. You gain weight. You basically are much less healthy than if you’re moving.”
To Stretch Or Not To Stretch?: {...} says Reynolds. “When you stretch and hold a pose, the brain thinks you are about to damage yourself and it then sends out nerve impulses that actually tighten the muscles,” she explains. “... The result is, you’re less ready for activity, not more ready for activity.”
Don’t Skip The Warm-Up: Science suggests that a very easy warmup — a light jog, for example — may be all that most of us need. “What you want to do when you warm up is warm up the tissues,...”
Humans Were Made For Walking: Walking may be the single best exercise that exists on the planet,...”
The Difference Between Fitness And Health: Becoming fit and becoming healthier are two different things…”
Hydration Hype: ... “What we now know is that if you drink to thirst, if you listen to the little voice in your head that says, ‘You need water,’ you will drink as much as you need,” Reynolds says. “You don’t need to stay ahead of your thirst. Drink what you want, and you will almost certainly be fine.”

A bonus question: The Ultimate Post-Workout Beverage is?

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 16 May 2012 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

I know ... I know ... I know ...

long face

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 May 2012 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I try to keep up with the latest info on health and all of that sounds like good information to me.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 September 2012 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-11

Yes, walking is really healthy. I know running is a good exercise too, but I’d rather do power walking. Didn’t know that walking is also healthy for the body as it could reduce the chances of cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, anxiety and depression.