Denmark trip and other stuff I’m doing
Posted: 16 May 2012 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4619
Joined  2007-10-05

Just wanted to let ya’ll know I’ll be scarce around here the next few weeks. I’m heading to Pickin’ in the Pines tomorrow, a music festival outside the small burg of Pine Mills, TX. Don’t bother looking for it on Google Maps; it ain’t there. Pine Mills is about 15 miles north of Tyler. My sister and her husband produce the festival, and I’m the staff photographer.

Next weekend I’m heading to the Kerrville Folk Festival for five days. My best friend and his wife can’t make it that weekend, so they’re letting me use one of their tickets to get in and I’m staying in their Airstream in the campground.

But the big news is the Denmark trip. My half-brother’s mother’s family is from Aalborg, on the north coast of Denmark. My wife left yesterday for a six-week business trip to California, India, Italy, Germany, England, France, Switzerland, Japan, and two cities in China. And maybe Taiwan. It’s hard to keep track of it all. She has a few days off between Switzerland and Japan, so we’re going to meet my brother in Aalborg. He goes every year, and his photos and stories intrigued me. The town looks like a beautiful place, at least when the Sun shines. His family has planned some parties for my wife and me. With any luck I’ll see the Northern Lights while smoking a Cuban cigar with Ed’s uncles after dinner.

Ed and I are flying to Kansas City to visit our father and and his mother after Denmark. My wife is flying nonstop from Copenhagen to Tokyo to continue her business trip. She’ll be gone a long time, but I have other activities planned for June to keep me busy, including camping at Colorado Bend State Park taking photos for the Texas Campaign for the Environment.

The good side of my wife being out of the country? I get to drive her car.  grin

[ Edited: 16 May 2012 07:03 PM by DarronS ]
Image Attachments
rr_quarter_small.jpg
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 16 May 2012 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

Sounds great Darron!  Enjoy Denmark, I’ve heard that it’s a cool place to visit.  Sample many drinks!!! grin

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 17 May 2012 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

I have never been to Denmark, but northern Europe certainly has more than it’s fair share of great beverages. smile

I do know that if you happen to have even a few hours to spend looking around Paris or Rome, definitely spend them walking - don’t take subways unless you absolutely have to. You’ll see a lot more, and there’s plenty worth seeing.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 17 May 2012 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Hey cool, Darron! Have a great time at the festivals and in Denmark! Sounds like you’ll be busy having a great time.

Any good bluegrass at Pine Mills or Kerrville?

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 May 2012 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4375
Joined  2007-08-31

The Danish booze is called aquavit, ‘life water’. But alcohol is very expensive in Denmark…
Enjoy your trip in the old world!

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 17 May 2012 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Aquavit is undrinkable swill. One of my friends suggested using it in a Bloody Mary, but I hesitate to ruin tomato juice like that. Fortunately, the Danish make some excellent ales.

Most of the music at the festivals I’m going to is either Folk or what we call Texas Music; which is a blend of Country, Blues and Rock with hints of Bluegrass and Zydeco. Bluegrass isn’t as big in Texas as in Colorado or Kentucky/Virginia. Rod Kennedy used to produce the Kerrville Bluegrass Festival, but about 25 years ago he noticed the volunteer staff outnumbered the paid guests, so he discontinued the festival.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 17 May 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Most of the music at the festivals I’m going to is either Folk or what we call Texas Music; which is a blend of Country, Blues and Rock with hints of Bluegrass and Zydeco. Bluegrass isn’t as big in Texas as in Colorado or Kentucky/Virginia. Rod Kennedy used to produce the Kerrville Bluegrass Festival, but about 25 years ago he noticed the volunteer staff outnumbered the paid guests, so he discontinued the festival.

I was first introduced to Texas swing by a friend who still plays (Joe Dobbs). It’s an interesting blend of folk and jazz style played in the 20’s with a slower tempo than what we call “old time Country”. I never was a fond fan of bluegrass but liked Flatt and Scruggs. They did some old time stuff as well as bluegrass. We have several annual festivals here locally and in So. Va. and throughout West Va every Summer. We used to travel the circuit but it got to be too expensive after a while. I’m mostly a porch player now but still miss the folks and camping. we used to play till dawn, then get up and play some more, sometimes on stage but more often just roam around the campsite. Man, you are living the life! Scandanavia is on my bucket list. I definitely want to travel to Oslo and visit the Viking museum. I hope you are able to post a few pictures for us!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 May 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Here is one shot I took Saturday night. From left to right: Frank on bass (I forgot his last name), T-Roy Miller on guitar, Candace Kunz-Miller on guitar. Y’all might recognize the short dude in the background.

[ Edited: 21 May 2012 06:04 PM by DarronS ]
Image Attachments
tc_miller_frank_bw_small.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Stephen Morris on stage at Pickin’ in the Pines.

Image Attachments
stephen_morris_small.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

TVA, Texas Swing is still big around here. Asleep at the Wheel, the Back Porch Vipers, and Wayne “The Train” Hancock all play the style. Asleep at the Wheel is closest to the Bob Wills tradition. The Back Porch Vipers use a mellower jazzy style, and Wayne Hancock owes as much to Ernest Tubb as Bob Wills, if not more.

FWIW, one of my grand uncles used to play with Bob Wills. Travel expenses were apparently pretty high back in the day, so Bob Wills traveled with just the core of his band and used local musicians to fill out the sound. When Wills played Central Texas old Uncle Cotton would get on stage with him and play rhythm guitar.

Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 21 May 2012 06:01 PM

Here is one shot I took Saturday night. From left to right: Frank on bass (I forgot his last name), T-Roy Miller on guitar, Candace Kunz-Miller on guitar. Y’all might recognize the short dude in the background.

Yoda excaim  LOL  What instrument does he play?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 May 2012 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 21 May 2012 08:02 PM

Yoda excaim  LOL  What instrument does he play?

Air guitar. They tried to get him to sing harmony, but he kept screwing up the chorus.

Signature