1 of 2
Secret life of the Yeti
Posted: 17 May 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

A question i always had about all those Bigfoots, Yetis, Yerens etc. :
Has anyone ever calculated how many individuals a Yeti-Tribe would need to survive, or how many pounds of meat/plants such a creature would need per day?
How large would be a Yetis Territory* etc.

It would be interesting to know if it would be physically possible for such a creature to exist in certain parts of north America or Asia.

What do you think, could such a giant creature be able to hide for such a long time somewhere in the woods/mountains and not even leave bones as evidence of its existence?

*In comparison with those of other big apes

Posted: 17 May 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

No. Nope. Uh-uh. No way. Nada.

Ultimately, the biggest problem with the argument for the existence of Bigfoot is that no bones or bodies have been discovered. This is really the 800-pound Bigfoot on the researchers’ backs, and no matter how they explain away the lack of other types of evidence, the simple fact remains that, unlike nearly every other serious “scientific” pursuit, they can’t point to a live or dead sample of what they’re studying. If the Bigfoot creatures across the United States are really out there, then each passing day should be one day closer to their discovery. The story we’re being asked to believe is that thousands of giant, hairy, mysterious creatures are constantly eluding capture and discovery and have for a century or more. At some point, a Bigfoot’s luck must run out: one out of the thousands must wander onto a freeway and get killed by a car, or get shot by a hunter, or die of natural causes and be discovered by a hiker. Each passing week and month and year and decade that go by without definite proof of the existence of Bigfoot make its existence less and less likely.

Bigfoot at 50 Evaluating a Half-Century of Bigfoot Evidence

This was written a decade ago but still nothing has changed. Except that there are even more lunatics out there looking.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 17 May 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3102
Joined  2011-08-15

What do you think, could such a giant creature be able to hide for such a long time somewhere in the woods/mountains and not even leave bones as evidence of its existence?

Why not? I did and I got away with it too! I’ve been living around humans for over 60 years and they haven’t caught on yet. smile

Yeti, uh I mean Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 May 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2160
Joined  2007-04-26
Alexander80 - 17 May 2012 12:24 PM

Has anyone ever calculated how many individuals a Yeti-Tribe would need to survive, or how many pounds of meat/plants such a creature would need per day?

It would be interesting to know if it would be physically possible for such a creature to exist in certain parts of north America or Asia.

You’re right. He wouldn’t be able to hide. That’s why he’s been sited lots of times tongue laugh . He even thumbed his nose at us by getting a starring role in Star Wars and making us all think Chewbacca was just an actor in a furry costume.

[ Edited: 17 May 2012 04:10 PM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 17 May 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Curiously enough, I think it has been attempted. I can’t recall the source so I can’t back it up.

All that aside, I would think that the dietary requirements would have to be fairly substantial. All else aside, in order to avoid going extinct, there have to be enough breeding pairs which wouldn’t self destruct from inbreeding. The population which would be required to make that happen couldn’t readily excape being noticed and therin lies the rub. As one of the posters pointed out, not even one bona fide specimen either living or dead exists.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 17 May 2012 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

Using the Mountain Gorilla as the closest example…as close as you can get when dealing with a mythical creature like Bigfoot, Wikipedia says:

The 2006 census at Bwindi indicated a population of 340 gorillas, representing a 6% increase in total population size since 2002 and a 12% increase from 320 individuals in 1997.[33] All of those estimates were based on traditional census methods using dung samples collected at night nests. Conversely, genetic analyses of the entire population during the 2006 census indicated there were only approximately 300 individuals in Bwindi.[2] The discrepancy highlights the difficulty in using imprecise census data to estimate population growth.

The world population of Mountain Gorilla seems to be around 600 with the above-mentioned Bwindi being about 205 sq. mile (331 km) in size according to this site.

Not in the woods/mountains of North America.  And especially not with so many true believers looking for it for over half a century along with real hunters who would have stumbled across one while hunting real animals.  And the amount of cameras have increased exponentially since Roger Patterson’s time.  So while there has been an increase in photos/video of every single other (real) animal out there to go along with this increase, the amount of convincing photos/videos of Bigfoot have remained completely flat-lined, not to mention not a single body, hair sample, stool sample, etc.  There’s a reason for that.  And that reason is Bigfoot only exists as myth.   

It would seem there is a larger breeding population of cryptozoologists (too many) than there are of Mountain Gorillas (@300)and especially of Bigfoot (0).

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 19 May 2012 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4066
Joined  2010-08-15
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 17 May 2012 07:37 PM

Curiously enough, I think it has been attempted. I can’t recall the source so I can’t back it up.

All that aside, I would think that the dietary requirements would have to be fairly substantial. All else aside, in order to avoid going extinct, there have to be enough breeding pairs which wouldn’t self destruct from inbreeding. The population which would be required to make that happen couldn’t readily excape being noticed and therin lies the rub. As one of the posters pointed out, not even one bona fide specimen either living or dead exists.

nor poopies, nor signs of sleeping nests, nor middens etc

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 19 May 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

What do you think does it make sense to search for cryptides, or Animals People claim to have seen but have no evidence for?
Some time ago i have read about that deer from Asia which was present in the local Mythology, but was discovered and documented only before a few years,
so I think that a closer look cant hurt, maybe the Mongolian Death-Worm is just a really fat, unknown Snake, and the Yeti just a huge guy in a suit whos a member in some strange secret society
wink

Posted: 19 May 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
Alexander80 - 19 May 2012 01:18 PM

What do you think does it make sense to search for cryptides, or Animals People claim to have seen but have no evidence for?
Some time ago i have read about that deer from Asia which was present in the local Mythology, but was discovered and documented only before a few years,
so I think that a closer look cant hurt, maybe the Mongolian Death-Worm is just a really fat, unknown Snake, and the Yeti just a huge guy in a suit whos a member in some strange secret society
wink

The thing to keep in mind is that no new animal species has ever been discovered by a cryptozoologist.  Real scientists and real explorers are the ones who discover the new and different category of deer, goat, beetle or whatever.  And the cryptozoologists never want to look for the deer, goat or insect.  They want the big “sexy” ones like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.  They don’t want to make a new discovery as much as they want to confirm their pet monster actually exists.  It’s more about belief than objective discovery.  That and they just like to traipse around the woods in a pseudo-adventure while claiming every noise in the distant night is a sausquatch. (BFRO, are you listening?!)  It’s the same reason people go to the movies or amusement parks.  It’s fun and a type of escapism for them.  But they aren’t doing any real science. 

So does it make sense to search for unknown animals?  Sure.  Even the amateur may discover a new species of ladybug or possibly something larger.  But people shouldn’t be disappointed that the new animals found don’t match with myths, legends or their preconceived desires.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 19 May 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

so I think that a closer look cant hurt…

That’s just it, people have been looking closely. VERY closely, and a lot still do. So far, they’ve come up goose eggs.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 19 May 2012 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

At what point do people stop looking for Unicorns, Dragons and Mermaids?  Same goes for other make believe things like Elves, Gremlins, and Eskimos.  At some point most people come to realize these things simply don’t exist and never did.  Bigfoot, Yeti and the Loch Ness Monster are Western culture’s modern version of these make-believe animals.  Since such “creatures” seem to be part of all human stories regardless of time or place it could be that human’s desire to believe in these things may be innate.  Each culture has their own make-believe creatures.  Will Bigfoot and the Yeti eventually go the way of the Unicorn and Mermaid?  And if so, will they be replaced by other make-believe creatures?

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 19 May 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I thought Eskimos were real. smirk

Posted: 20 May 2012 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

Somehow i have the feeling that in the not so distant future some one will create such Things through genetic engineering, just because it is possible and fun… if so ill order a big blue dragon, so i wont run out of fire grin

Posted: 21 May 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
George - 19 May 2012 07:52 PM

I thought Eskimos were real. smirk

Well, they certainly think they are! Who are we to question them?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 21 May 2012 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3102
Joined  2011-08-15

I thought Eskimos were real.

There are no such thing as Eskimos. They’re Inuits. Eskimos are a figment of the European imagination. grin

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 May 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Thevillageatheist - 21 May 2012 08:49 AM

I thought Eskimos were real.

There are no such thing as Eskimos. They’re Inuits. Eskimos are a figment of the European imagination. grin

Ahhh…. I see. As are the “western” Indians!

By the way, I had an instructor in college who was from India. She referred to native Americans as “red Indians” and her compatriots as “brown Indians.”  She was not, as they say, “politically correct.”  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

1 of 2

‹‹ Attachment Parenting?      Stanton Friedman ››