2 of 2
Ex Charismatic/Pentecostal…..What now?
Posted: 23 May 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-05-11
dougsmith - 23 May 2012 09:58 AM
Dizzy Spyder - 23 May 2012 08:43 AM

[She has been in the same Church since she was born. Lots of family & friends there too. She is not that “religious” but she still has a lot of history to overcome and that is stressful.

From what I understand, a lot of people are in, or remain in, church for social reasons. They don’t necessarily believe the guff they get from the pulpit.

Thanks Dougsmith….I think, for now, that is where I will be.

Signature 

“Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck” - George Carlin

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Dizzy Spyder - 23 May 2012 10:03 AM

[She has been in the same Church since she was born. Lots of family & friends there too. She is not that “religious” but she still has a lot of history to overcome and that is stressful.

From what I understand, a lot of people are in, or remain in, church for social reasons. They don’t necessarily believe the guff they get from the pulpit.

Your wife may be in the same place. Seriously…. talk about it. I’m not suggesting that you try to talk her into leaving the church. That probably will not happen and honestly, it may not even be the best thing for her, if she is that invested in it. But at least let her know how you feel and set reasonable expectations for your future involvement. This does not mean a lot has to change.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 24 May 2012 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-05-11
FreeInKy - 23 May 2012 11:37 AM
Dizzy Spyder - 23 May 2012 10:03 AM

Your wife may be in the same place. Seriously…. talk about it. I’m not suggesting that you try to talk her into leaving the church. That probably will not happen and honestly, it may not even be the best thing for her, if she is that invested in it. But at least let her know how you feel and set reasonable expectations for your future involvement. This does not mean a lot has to change.

I know it would be great if she saw things the way I do but her past is so different than mine. What I can do is slowly discuss my feelings and ideas. Pulling away from her church would be total disaster for her. I believe we will just end up going less frequently. I really cannot talk to her until I understand where I am and why I am there.

Thanks for your help.

Signature 

“Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck” - George Carlin

Posted: 24 May 2012 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Dizzy Spyder - 24 May 2012 03:57 AM

Thanks for your help.

That’s what we’re here for.  grin

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

2 of 2