3 of 7
Great quotes
Posted: 08 June 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

“Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 09 June 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  6175
Joined  2009-02-26

This is not a quote but is an interesting exlanation of our use of the letter X in algebra and for other unknowns.

http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_why_is_x_the_unknown.html?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2012-06-08&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 19 June 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
—Voltaire

That quote explains much about both religion and politics.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 19 June 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Write4U - 09 June 2012 04:36 PM

This is not a quote but is an interesting exlanation of our use of the letter X in algebra and for other unknowns.

That was interesting and funny.  LOL  Thanks for sharing.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 20 June 2012 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

“This is what we have to understand, at the heart of every bigot, there is a bully.” - William Cohan, former senator and secratary of defence on CNN.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 25 June 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

“Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.”
—Robert Green Ingersoll

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 06 July 2012 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2012-07-03

Forgive me for posting two quotes in one post, but they are kind of related. To me, faith itself represents an important factor in hindering humanity from flourishing as a whole, as different religions ultimately separate us.

You can’t convince a believer of anything, for their belief is not based on evidence, it’s based on a deep seated need to believe. – Carl Sagan

Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence. – Richard Dawkins

Signature 

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.

Posted: 18 July 2012 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13

There are so many great quotes out there it’s hard to pick one or even a few to post as favorites.

The one in my signature made me think for a second, and when I ‘got’ it I loved it.  It also sounds great in my head when I say it to myself.  It’s not poetry but it’s poetic.

I stumbled on it when I went to RDC (Red Deer College in Red Deer, Alberta) way back in the early 90’s.  The library was by far the largest I had ever seen, and while wandering along the magazine aisles (can you believe there are AISLES of magazines!!!) I stumbled upon Skeptical Inquirer.  I had never heard of it and wasn’t an atheist at the time, but it sounded like a neat topic for a magazine.  The first page I flipped to had the quote you see in my signature sitting there.  After reading and digesting the quote, I basically sat there on the floor and read the entire magazine.  What a rush!

The rest is history, but the quote has never left me.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 18 July 2012 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

If a man, holding a belief which he was taught in childhood or persuaded of afterwards, keeps down and pushes away any doubts which arise about it in his mind, purposely avoids the reading of books and the company of men that call into question or discuss it, and regards as impious those questions which cannot easily be asked without disturbing it—the life of that man is one long sin against mankind.

William K. Clifford (1877)

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 19 July 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. But there is no evidence of any sort against it. Soon enough you will know. So why fret about it?  - Robert Anson Heinlein

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 27 July 2012 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.
- Carlos Castaneda

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 27 July 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  3264
Joined  2011-08-15

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 July 2012 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`

“If you don’t have a clue, there’s always an explanation that’s simple, intuitive, and wrong.”

(I have no idea who said it, I think someone on another message board :)

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 28 July 2012 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
Love this one :)

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

~ Marcus Aurelius

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 29 July 2012 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn’t.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Signature 

3 of 7