Great quotes
Posted: 30 July 2012 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Axegrrl - 28 July 2012 11:19 PM

`
Love this one smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

~ Marcus Aurelius

`

Awesome. Sort of a Pascal’s wager but in reverse. And much more logical.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 30 July 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  3062
Joined  2011-08-15

The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.

Thomas Paine

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 31 July 2012 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
FreeInKy - 30 July 2012 08:20 AM
Axegrrl - 28 July 2012 11:19 PM

`
Love this one :)

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

~ Marcus Aurelius

`

Awesome. Sort of a Pascal’s wager but in reverse. And much more logical.

`
Exactly!

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 31 July 2012 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
In my paranoid world every storekeeper thinks I’m stealing, every man thinks I’m a prostitute or a lesbian, every woman thinks I’m a lesbian or arrogant, and every child and animal sees the real me and it is evil.”

Miranda July, It Chooses You

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 01 August 2012 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

“Science is the attempt, largely successful, to understand the world, to get a grip on things, to get hold of ourselves, to steer a safe course. Microbiology and meteorology now explain what only a few centuries ago was considered sufficient cause to burn women to death.” —Carl Sagan

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 14 August 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

“Faith is believing what you know ain’t so.”

—Mark Twain

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 14 August 2012 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  1742
Joined  2007-10-22

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of the truth than lies.  Friedrich Nietzsche

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 27 August 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  1742
Joined  2007-10-22

OK;  I have two new ones today.

The Bible became the book of books, but it mot one document.  It is a mystical library of interwoven texts by unknown authors who wrote and edited at different times with widely divergent aims.  Jerusalem:  The Biography - Simon Sebag Montefiore;

All citizens should be able to challenge the narratives held by elites.  The Economist; 8-25-12; Pg. 67. - Selective Memory

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 27 August 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  3062
Joined  2011-08-15

“The flood of money that gushes into politics today is a pollution of Democracy”.
Theodore White

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 29 August 2012 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

And

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

both by John F. Kennedy

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 29 August 2012 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

Oh, and my favorite JFK quote:

“I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth.”

That was the audacity of true leadership.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 03 January 2013 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

Just came across this by St. Augustine:

“We must be on guard against giving interpretations of Scripture that are far-fetched or opposed to science, and so exposing the Word of God to the ridicule of unbelievers.”

Good advice.

Posted: 03 January 2013 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21

“You will say that I feel free. This is an illusion, which may be compared to that of the fly in the fable, who, upon the pole of a heavy carriage, applauded himself for directing its course. Man, who thinks himself free, is a fly who imagines he has power to move the universe, while he is himself unknowingly carried along by it.”—Baron d’Hobach

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 19 July 2013 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
FreeInKy - 18 May 2012 11:35 AM

“What I’m asking you to entertain is that there is nothing we need to believe on insufficient evidence in order to have deeply ethical and spiritual lives.”
― Sam Harris

How do you define spiritual or spiritual lives?

I realize that’s a Sam Harris quote, but what does spiritual mean to you? (or to anyone on this forum). I’m curious.

Lois

Posted: 19 July 2013 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  2634
Joined  2011-04-24
Lois - 19 July 2013 11:10 PM
FreeInKy - 18 May 2012 11:35 AM

“What I’m asking you to entertain is that there is nothing we need to believe on insufficient evidence in order to have deeply ethical and spiritual lives.”
― Sam Harris

How do you define spiritual or spiritual lives?

I realize that’s a Sam Harris quote, but what does spiritual mean to you? (or to anyone on this forum). I’m curious.

Lois

We’ve had discussions about this before - that spiritual doesn’t have to mean “spiritual” in the normal sense. I don’t think of myself as having any spirituality, but some members here do feel they have some sort of secular spirituality.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

4 of 7