6 of 7
Great quotes
Posted: 22 July 2013 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2233
Joined  2012-10-27
Lausten - 22 July 2013 11:02 AM

Carrier goes on to discuss the mistake of associating an experience, such as looking up at the stars and feeling connected to the universe, with something non-existent. That’s the part of “spirituality” that has inherent dangers. If you think you really tapped into some power that isn’t there, you might take all sorts of wrong turns. So that’s the downside of the term, and I agree with you Lois, a good reason to not use it.

But what I’ve heard religious people say is that if you don’t believe in God, you can never have that experience, or “spiritual” people say if you “think scientifically” you aren’t open to such experiences and won’t have them. This is bunk of course on many levels. Reaching some agreement on just what “spiritual” means reclaims this territory as something available to everyone. We don’t have to deny a Christian a “spiritual” experience, we just don’t associate it with something that isn’t there. They are then stuck with their exclusionary tactic and nothing to back it up.

It IS bunk.  I believed in god once and I’m sure I defined some uplifting experiences as related to that belief, but when I became an atheist I had the same kinds of uplifting experiences (more and better ones, in fact) and I never felt the need to attribute them to something supernatural.  They were easily explained and woo-woo would never have improved them.

Posted: 22 July 2013 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams”
                Elenor Roosevelt as recently referenced by a Tweeter.

“Ignorance is Bliss”
          Thomas Gray

“I’m not like other girls, I like a simplicity in a man who has a good sense of humor.”
          What every truly unique girl values in her preference description on eHarmony.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 22 July 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

I sincerely think that even though our rationality to reason with intelligence has good virtue in understanding the truth, it appears that most of us come to our good reasoning due to a lot of bad luck and contradictions in our lives. If we had it any easier, we too would have probably embraced an irrational understanding of spirituality because, well,... we get what we want and so why try to question it. That’s why more attractive people will tend to be more spiritual—its better to justify their good fortune on mystery and magic rather than face a reasoned argument that suggests others less fortunate owe their failures to chance alone; that they might have to look at themselves and recognize their successes have nothing to do with their real efforts and worth.

I heard or read somewhere an explanation by someone that nerds, for instance, tend to wear glasses more often because they constantly invest so much time in reading and staring at computer screens! From this person’s perspective, nerds earn their appearance due to their selective desires or choices, rather than the other way around. That is, someone who wears glasses is tended not to be asked to play with others as often in the playground and so turn inward upon themselves by entertaining themselves with books and computers. Others who don’t favor this is due likely to preferring they, as members of society, are not intrinsically responsible for other people’s characters. At least, they are harder to place blame on the environment because we can’t see how our personal miniscule effects on others can affect the whole.

Oh, and if you think I’m just so cute, sorry, I just prefer someone a little more fit, nothing personal. oh oh

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 23 July 2013 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  4127
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam. - 22 July 2013 02:02 PM

Vy, although it might not sound as euphonious, I think you could substitute the word “emotion” for most of the places you use “spirit”.  When talking about liquor, one is really referring to the components which vaporize.  This is a case where the word is just about completely unnecessary and could be dispensed with without even bothering with a substitute. 

I realize that when the religious use it, they are referring to a metaphysical fairytale about the same as when they use the words “god”, “angel”, “hell”, “sin”, and for some of them, “easter bunny” and “tooth fairy”.  However, that’s not a usage most of us here bother with.

Occam

I don’t believe in any supernatural powers as you probably know.  So I’m comfortable using the term spirituality. Not that I use it that much.
Are you suggesting I shouldn’t use the term anymore?

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 23 July 2013 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
VYAZMA - 23 July 2013 02:40 AM

Vy, although it might not sound as euphonious, I think you could substitute the word “emotion” for most of the places you use “spirit”.  When talking about liquor, one is really referring to the components which vaporize.  This is a case where the word is just about completely unnecessary and could be dispensed with without even bothering with a substitute. 

I realize that when the religious use it, they are referring to a metaphysical fairytale about the same as when they use the words “god”, “angel”, “hell”, “sin”, and for some of them, “easter bunny” and “tooth fairy”.  However, that’s not a usage most of us here bother with.

Occam

I don’t believe in any supernatural powers as you probably know.  So I’m comfortable using the term spirituality. Not that I use it that much.

Spirituality is a supernatural concept.  If you don’t believe in supernatural powers, why buy into the language of the supernatural? That sounds contradictory to me.  Of course, you are free to use contradictory language if it suits you but in doing so you make yourself look foolish.

Lois

Posted: 24 July 2013 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Joined  2010-11-21
Lois - 23 July 2013 10:45 AM
VYAZMA - 23 July 2013 02:40 AM

Occam

Spirituality is a supernatural concept.  If you don’t believe in supernatural powers, why buy into the language of the supernatural? That sounds contradictory to me.  Of course, you are free to use contradictory language if it suits you but in doing so you make yourself look foolish.

Lois

I think that you have to take your audience into consideration and try to be adaptable to the specific situations. The first thing that Socrates always did in his dialogues with people was to first define the terms or get the person he’s in dialogue with to describe what he meant by ... . When you are with others, sometimes people will choose a vocabulary set that is confusing. But if you try to force them to even negotiate terms, sometimes it is impossible. So the only choice you have is to either speak in their relative terms or walk away. It’s not always simple to choose to walk away. So it is up to each of us to attempt to adapt to their reference language and work from there.

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2013 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Actually there is just way too much thought going into this.
Sounds like the word police are in town. The thought police.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 24 July 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Here’s a good quote:
America is the Great Melting Pot.  The people on the bottom get burnt and the scum rises to the top.
-Unknown

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2013 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Joined  2012-10-27

“The word “genius” isn’t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.”
—Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

Posted: 25 July 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Total Posts:  2884
Joined  2011-08-15

I really like this one:

‘Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do.’—Bertrand Russell

Hey, I remember Norman! He was a linebacker for the Skins back in the fifties. Craaaazy hair. Sharp as a tack.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 July 2013 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Joined  2010-11-21
Thevillageatheist - 25 July 2013 03:40 PM

I really like this one:

‘Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do.’—Bertrand Russell

Hey, I remember Norman! He was a linebacker for the Skins back in the fifties. Craaaazy hair. Sharp as a tack.

Cap’t Jack

Good one. I’m a big fan of his.

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2013 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

“Once again science saves the day. The end.” -Prof Hubert Farnsworth

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 13 August 2013 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
FreeInKy - 18 May 2012 11:45 AM

It is a waste of energy to be angry with a man who behaves badly, just as it is to be angry with a car that won’t go.

—Bertrand Russell

He was a hard determinist and I agree with him.

Lois

Posted: 15 August 2013 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I love these quotes. My job has strict requirements for what is acceptable for a password, and we have to change it every 45 days. I look for atheist quotes with the word ‘to’ and ‘for’ that I can change into numbers and use it as a password (first letter every word). It helps me to deal with my overly religious co-worker(s). Thanks for a new group to add to my collection!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 August 2013 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  200
Joined  2012-09-14

This is kind of embarrasing, but I like this quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8loZlpa_8

Signature 

Say: He is God, the Unique.
God, the Self-Sufficient.
He does not give birth, nor was He born.
And there is none equal to Him.

Quran (112: 1-4)

6 of 7