1 of 2
Game of Thrones
Posted: 22 May 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04

What character on the current TV season of Game of Thrones would you most like to see drawn and quartered?

Also, anyone who has read the books that the TV series is based on, would you recommend them?

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 22 May 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

I haven’t seen the TV series yet, but the book are excellent. George Martin does a commendable job of making each character’s perspective unique in each chapter. Like the TV series (from what I hear) the books are definitely not for young children.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 22 May 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2010-04-22

But from the books, deciding on one character that I’d like to see drawn and quartered is tough. hmmm

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 22 May 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
TromboneAndrew - 22 May 2012 04:59 PM

Like the TV series (from what I hear) the books are definitely not for young children.

I don’t like this kind of stuff but my son who is ten does and I was thinking about getting the book for him. Do you think he is too young to understand it?

Posted: 22 May 2012 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 22 May 2012 08:13 PM

Like the TV series (from what I hear) the books are definitely not for young children.

I don’t like this kind of stuff but my son who is ten does and I was thinking about getting the book for him. Do you think he is too young to understand it?

I am an avid fan of the tv series, it is fascinating and challenging (5 stories interwoven). I look forward to being able to see it in its entirety on dvd.
But it not for the faint of heart and I am not sure if it is suitable for a boy of ten.  This is no ordinary blood and guts action/adventure movie. Some scenes have very hard core aspects.

As to my least favorite character? The boy king has to die!

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 May 2012 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
George - 22 May 2012 08:13 PM

Probably. There is sex, which turns many parents off, but there is also a lot of tough emotional events that the characters experience. George Martin deliberate wrote it as a fantasy for adults, encompassing everything we experience in life.

If you’re not sure, read the first book yourself. It’s not Terry Brooks.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-05-23

“The god of light wants people burned alive, the god of water wants people drowned alive, why are the gods such capricious cunts? Where are the gods of tits, fucking, and wine?”

Posted: 23 May 2012 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

W4U:  As to my least favorite character? The boy king has to die!

That would be my choice also.  His uncle/father is a firm but distant 2nd place.

(I also agree that if the books are like the TV series, they are not for kids.)

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 23 May 2012 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
zmullin - 23 May 2012 12:48 AM

“The god of light wants people burned alive, the god of water wants people drowned alive, why are the gods such capricious cunts? Where are the gods of tits, fucking, and wine?”

A quote from Tyrion, I think?  He’s a great protagonist.

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24

I finished A Clash of Kings (Book 2) a week or so ago and I’ll be starting A Storm of Swords shortly.  I’m enjoying the books, but they’re not the best I’ve ever read.  My biggest complaint is the over-use of profanity.  I’m no prude and have no problem with profanity being used when appropriate but it seems to me that GRRM just puts it in because he can.  I feel the same way about graphic descriptions of sex acts.  If they fit the story, fine, but don’t force them in.

Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Austin Harper - 23 May 2012 09:33 AM

I finished A Clash of Kings (Book 2) a week or so ago and I’ll be starting A Storm of Swords shortly.  I’m enjoying the books, but they’re not the best I’ve ever read.  My biggest complaint is the over-use of profanity.  I’m no prude and have no problem with profanity being used when appropriate but it seems to me that GRRM just puts it in because he can.  I feel the same way about graphic descriptions of sex acts.  If they fit the story, fine, but don’t force them in.

Lot’s of profanity doesn’t bother me, in the least.  It’s just another way of speaking.  I don’t care for too much graphic depictions of sex acts, however, as it can distract from the story.

Re: your enjoyment of the books, can you give an example of similar genre books that you liked better?

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

The character Joffrey (the bastard boy king) is so utterly despicable, that I wonder whether the actor who portrays him will be forever type cast, as such, in future acting roles.

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
TromboneAndrew - 22 May 2012 05:00 PM

But from the books, deciding on one character that I’d like to see drawn and quartered is tough. hmmm

I think actors have a way of making even fundamentally and profoundly evil characters, someone you can identify with on some level (the Joffrey character being an exception).  Perhaps in the books, the author has no intent for humanizing some of the characters.

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24
TimB - 23 May 2012 09:50 AM
Austin Harper - 23 May 2012 09:33 AM

I finished A Clash of Kings (Book 2) a week or so ago and I’ll be starting A Storm of Swords shortly.  I’m enjoying the books, but they’re not the best I’ve ever read.

Re: your enjoyment of the books, can you give an example of similar genre books that you liked better?

The Lord of the Rings for a start, but that’s hardly a surprising answer.  While I’m no longer as big a fan of the Christian symbolism as I was at one point, I still think The Chronicles of Narna are a fantastic series.  It’s a bit more sci-fi, but Frank Herbert’s Dune series (especially Books 1-3) are some of my all-time favorites.  Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell is a good stand-alone novel and I’m also quite fond of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials and Madeline L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time, et al.

Now that I look back on this list of books it seems that in general I prefer fantasy books intended for a YA audience, probably because they tend to lack the things I don’t like about GRRM’s work.

Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Austin: Now that I look back on this list of books it seems that in general I prefer fantasy books intended for a YA audience, probably because they tend to lack the things I don’t like about GRRM’s work.

You would probaly like all or most of the Terry Brooks books: Sword of Shanarrah, etc.

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2012 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
TimB - 23 May 2012 09:56 AM

The character Joffrey (the bastard boy king) is so utterly despicable, that I wonder whether the actor who portrays him will be forever type cast, as such, in future acting roles.

Yes, he is, but IMHO he’s that way because of his parents.

After some thought, though, I choose Ramsay Bolton as the character most deserving to get drawn and quartered.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

1 of 2