2 of 2
Game of Thrones
Posted: 23 May 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
Austin Harper - 23 May 2012 09:33 AM

I finished A Clash of Kings (Book 2) a week or so ago and I’ll be starting A Storm of Swords shortly.  I’m enjoying the books, but they’re not the best I’ve ever read.  My biggest complaint is the over-use of profanity.  I’m no prude and have no problem with profanity being used when appropriate but it seems to me that GRRM just puts it in because he can.  I feel the same way about graphic descriptions of sex acts.  If they fit the story, fine, but don’t force them in.

I think that there’s a bit more going on behind the vulgarity. With the exception of Tyrion, many of the protagonists are pretty much vulgarity-free. I think that he uses it to demonstrate characters who have given up on the value of social graces and of bettering society, and are existing purely on self-preservation.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 07 June 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2787
Joined  2011-11-04
TromboneAndrew - 23 May 2012 07:21 PM
Austin Harper - 23 May 2012 09:33 AM

I finished A Clash of Kings (Book 2) a week or so ago and I’ll be starting A Storm of Swords shortly.  I’m enjoying the books, but they’re not the best I’ve ever read.  My biggest complaint is the over-use of profanity.  I’m no prude and have no problem with profanity being used when appropriate but it seems to me that GRRM just puts it in because he can.  I feel the same way about graphic descriptions of sex acts.  If they fit the story, fine, but don’t force them in.

I think that there’s a bit more going on behind the vulgarity. With the exception of Tyrion, many of the protagonists are pretty much vulgarity-free. I think that he uses it to demonstrate characters who have given up on the value of social graces and of bettering society, and are existing purely on self-preservation.

From the TV version, I would say, rather that Tyrion’s vulgarity of speech is not from having “given up on the value of social graces”, but rather is a response to the hypocrisy of such social graces and neither would I say that he has given up on bettering society and is existing on pure self-preservation, as he clearly has a deep heart felt connection to his lover and he also performed admirably and selflessly (facing probable death) as the king’s hand in the battle of Blackwater.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

2 of 2