1 of 2
gin
Posted: 23 May 2012 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-05-23

Im bored, I dont work tomorrow, and I have a 80 ounce bottle of bombay sapphire. So, anyone can list off a type of drink I should make, and I will make it(have bar tools)...

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24

I’m a fan of the Churchill martini.

Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-23

a churchill martini, you are a beast.

Posted: 05 June 2012 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I thought it was called a Montgomery 16:1 gin to vermouth which was what the allied troups claimed Montgomery had to have before he would order an attack.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 June 2012 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-23
diannekluge - 05 June 2012 09:46 PM

how do you make this? what are the ingredients?

A churchill martini, gin, no decorations, you even look at the vermouth we got a fucking problem…

Posted: 05 June 2012 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

In my early days I drank martinis, which, according to articles then had the highest ethanol level, the least garbage (just an olive) and a bit of acidity from the vermouth which combined to make the most potent drink.  I also read that carbonation made a drink hit faster by causing the stomach to empty quicker, i.e., scotch and soda would hit faster than scotch and water.  So, being a scientist, I made up a martini using the 4:1 ratio of gin to vermouth, measured the volume, added ice and stirred.  Then remeasured to see how much water had entered the mix.  I then mixed a quart of martini using the proper ratios of gin, vermouth and distilled water. I put it in a seltzer bottle, used the CO2 cartridge to carbonate it then put it in the freezer.  Since I couldn’t be the tester and the subject we invited two chemists and their wives to dinner, explaining the project.  One was a large guy who had been a weight lifter in college, and the other was a lush that could drink anyone under the table.  They did very well until after dinner when one went into the living room and fell asleep on the couch and the other fell asleep at his diningroom chair. 

As the lush said when I saw him at work the following Monday, “My suggestion is that you burn the recipe for those damned Oral Hand Grenades.”

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 July 2012 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4858
Joined  2007-10-05

Gin tastes like Deep Woods Off.  shut eye

I stay away from the stuff. Gimme tequila or whiskey, please. Vodka if I have to drink mixed. At least vodka has no flavor.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 03 July 2012 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7613
Joined  2007-03-02

Here’s an easy one- a screw driver

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 03 July 2012 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3253
Joined  2011-08-15

Isn’t gin made from juniper berries? I only had it once, straight, as I remember, it had a sort of citrusy taste and not unpleasant. I’ll stick with dark rum though. Planter’ s punch on a hot day.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 July 2012 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Yes, and I am allergic to juniper pollen. I also do not like sweet alcoholic drinks. Rum is fine in smoothies, but I cannot drink it straight.

I suggest the OP run with the martini suggestions if he (s)he hasn’t finished the bottle of gin.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 03 July 2012 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
Thevillageatheist - 03 July 2012 08:21 PM

Isn’t gin made from juniper berries? I only had it once, straight, as I remember, it had a sort of citrusy taste and not unpleasant. I’ll stick with dark rum though. Planter’ s punch on a hot day.

Cap’t Jack

more like being steeped in and filtered through juniper berries along with a handful of other spices, depending on how good the gin is.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 04 July 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Beer is my drink of choice. I rarely drink hard liquor, but when I do I drink Kentucky straight bourbon, preferably Woodford Reserve or Maker’s Mark. I will occasionally have a glass of wine with Mrs. FreeInKy, but I’m not crazy about it.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 04 July 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
FreeInKy - 04 July 2012 10:26 AM

Beer is my drink of choice. I rarely drink hard liquor, but when I do I drink Kentucky straight bourbon, preferably Woodford Reserve or Maker’s Mark. I will occasionally have a glass of wine with Mrs. FreeInKy, but I’m not crazy about it.

+1

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Speaking of beer, I have mentioned some time ago that my favourite Canadian beer was local Steam Whistle from Toronto. To my surprise, I just discovered that their “brewer” (no idea if this is the correct translation—I can’t find the English word for the person who prepares the recipe for beer anywhere) is Czech. Must be genetics why I like the beer. grin

[ Edited: 04 July 2012 12:42 PM by George ]

Posted: 04 July 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  7613
Joined  2007-03-02

I’m not crazy about beer.  I prefer wine over beer any day, but if Gin is all there is then I need some juice.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 04 July 2012 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
FreeInKy - 04 July 2012 10:26 AM

My preference as well. (Although my hard liquor tastes run to single malt Scotches. smile)

Although I can (more frequently) enjoy a glass of red wine.

Take care,

Derek

Edit: Can’t stand gin. <shiver>

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

1 of 2