1 of 2
Deportation of blacks from Israel
Posted: 24 May 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Another report on the wonders of multiculturalism:

Likud MK describes Sudanese migrants as cancer; government prepares for mass deportation.

Some 1,000 protesters rallied in Tel Aviv’s Hatikva neighborhood on Wednesday and called for the ousting of African asylum seekers from Israel.

Demonstrators attacked African passersby while others lit garbage cans on fire and smashed car windows.

Posted: 24 May 2012 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I fail to see how this reinforces your ideas on the “evils” of multiculturalism. If anything, it reinforces what happens to an insular society. How ironic that the descendants of people who founded a nation with the memory of the holocaust fresh in their minds would wind up acting like the Nazis.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 24 May 2012 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
FreeInKy - 24 May 2012 07:27 AM

I fail to see how this reinforces your ideas on the “evils” of multiculturalism.

No, you don’t.

Posted: 24 May 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

This article is hardly an indictment of multi-culturalism. It is on the face, an indictment of racist bigotry, though I suspect there’s a lot more to the story then that. Anti-immigration sentiments tend to rear up when the immigrants are seen as a threat to the living (jobs) of the “native borns.”

By the way, this is an old problem and hardly one which any one nation has a patant on.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 24 May 2012 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 24 May 2012 07:47 AM

though I suspect there’s a lot more to the story then that.

Yeah, I know, this is a tough one. Whom do we blame? The blacks or the Jews?

Posted: 24 May 2012 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Follow the money.

No, I’m not joking either. When you see this sort of controversy, all you need to do is see who benefits economically from immigration and who gets the shaft to understand the real reasons why the sentiments fall as they do. The racial aspect is just the excuse, not the reason.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 24 May 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2889
Joined  2011-08-15

Hmmm, let’s see, they’re immigrants (not one of us), they look different, their culture is different, they speak Hebrew with an accent, they aren’t Jewish, probably Muslim, they have no job and will in all likelihood work for peanuts therefore taking menial jobs meant for our poor and will become a burden to the State. “No Sudanese need apply”. Does this sound familiar, those of you Americans and Canadians? Hint, 1848. To far in the past? Ok, how about 1974? Then there’s that nagging humanitarian issue. How far will their religious distinctions allow them to go, and how much does international opinion count with Isreal?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 24 May 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

You really think, Jack, the immigrants take away menial jobs from the local poor? I doubt that’s the case. The local poor are usually poor because they don’t want to (or rather “can’t” since I don’t believe in free will) work. They know the government will take care of them. If you got rid of all the Mexicans in the U.S. I doubt the price of straberries would remain as low as it is today. Can you imagine telling a young American who has been unemployed for years to put down his video games and go to work in a strawberry field for $10/hour? I am sure he would be thrilled.

Posted: 24 May 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I guess what I just said would prove that multiculturalism does bring some advantages. I mean it would appear to be an advantage if we agree that cheap straberries are worth the life of Martin and the impressment of Zimmerman.

Posted: 24 May 2012 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

George, try as I may, I can’t follow your rationale in this thread. You seem to be arguing both sides of the street.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 24 May 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Maybe. I am not so sure. What do you think? Are the high unemployment rate and the lack of education of the Hispanics worth the cheap price of strawberries?

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2008-09-10

Isn’t the pertinent question:  Should a nation be allowed to determine who can and cannot immigrate to it, or seek its asylum?

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 24 May 2012 07:53 AM
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 24 May 2012 07:47 AM

though I suspect there’s a lot more to the story then that.

No just blame it on the Germans, that usually works!  tongue wink

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
FreeInKy - 24 May 2012 07:27 AM

I fail to see how this reinforces your ideas on the “evils” of multiculturalism. If anything, it reinforces what happens to an insular society. How ironic that the descendants of people who founded a nation with the memory of the holocaust fresh in their minds would wind up acting like the Nazis.

Israel was founded as an ethnic state.

Anyone who is not Jewish will stick out like a sore thumb.

Signature 

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
ciceronianus - 24 May 2012 12:30 PM

Isn’t the pertinent question:  Should a nation be allowed to determine who can and cannot immigrate to it, or seek its asylum?

Of course.

Signature 

Posted: 24 May 2012 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  2889
Joined  2011-08-15

You really think, Jack, the immigrants take away menial jobs from the local poor? I doubt that’s the case. The local poor are usually poor because they don’t want to (or rather “can’t” since I don’t believe in free will) work. They know the government will take care of them. If you got rid of all the Mexicans in the U.S. I doubt the price of straberries would remain as low as it is today. Can you imagine telling a young American who has been unemployed for years to put down his video games and go to work in a strawberry field for $10/hour? I am sure he would be thrilled.

George, That’s a generalization! I agree that there are parasites in every society but you have to examine the reasons for being poor, and believe me in most cases it’s not by choice. Many are poor because they lack the mnethods for getting ahead, ie. education background, abusive parents (kids having kids who are unprepared to have them in the first place), living in depressed areas in cities and in the country or who are relegated to some sort of social caste system. As to free will, I’m partially with you on that. I finished Harris’s book on freewill but I don’t see how it applies here referring to the cultural pressures outside of the human mind. And no, I don’t believe in getting rid of a work force who is at the bottom looking up financially. One of the reasons that the spoiled brats won’t get off their ass and pick strawberries is that the job won’t pay for their expensive video games ( their indulgent helicopter parents take care of them anywy) so they see no need to bend an elbow while the Mexican laborer is making more money than he/she ever did back in the old country. That’s why you immigrants came here in the first place, right? Well, my family too except a lot longer ago. And $10.00 an hour? Where? Count me in! I’ll tell all the Walmart employees here there’s work in Californee. The minimum wage is a little over $7.00 with crappy benefits if that. Hitch up the wagon and head for strawberry fields!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

1 of 2