3 of 7
Should man rule over women for women’s own good?
Posted: 28 May 2012 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2585
Joined  2011-04-24
Axegrrl - 28 May 2012 12:49 AM
Write4U - 27 May 2012 12:47 AM
Axegrrl - 26 May 2012 11:54 PM
Write4U - 26 May 2012 02:55 PM

Where the male used to rule (and protect) over a troup (family) consisting of several females, he is now forced to content himself with monogamy.

`
Uhm, what?

Sorry, but this is horse pucky.  No one is “forced” to enter a monogamous relationship.  If someone doesn’t want a monogamous relationship, they don’t have to establish one.

It may be harder to find a woman who’d prefer an open relationship over a monogamous one, but it sure as hell ISN’T impossible smile

Anyone who feels that they’re “forced” to content themselves with monogamy needs to listen to more Savage Love wink

`

Please don’t misunderstand. I was speaking in context of legal status in western societies.

`
Ah, ok, gotcha smile

But if we’re talking about ‘legal status’, then i’m not sure why you singled out men here…......because women are equally “forced to content herself with monogamy” when it comes to legal status smile

`

Is that how it is in Canada? I should move there!

In the States, generally, a man who is not content with monogamy can be punished legally; only in the most extreme cases are women held to this same standard.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 29 May 2012 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  604
Joined  2011-08-10

With the legalization of Gay marriage, the focus is changing from law and convention to the notion that all humans should have the right to seek a loving relationship with whoever they want.

That will open the door to people who want multiple partners in whatever combination you can name.
I can think of no objection to this.

Regards
DL

Posted: 29 May 2012 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2766
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 28 May 2012 12:50 PM

I like Bonobos. They have got this problem solved. The entire species is polyamorous. Even fights are settled with love making.
The motto “Make love, not war” truly applies to the Bonobo.

Is there a gender based hierarchy in Bonobo cultures?

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 31 May 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  2766
Joined  2011-11-04
TimB - 29 May 2012 12:08 PM
Write4U - 28 May 2012 12:50 PM

I like Bonobos. They have got this problem solved. The entire species is polyamorous. Even fights are settled with love making.
The motto “Make love, not war” truly applies to the Bonobo.

Is there a gender based hierarchy in Bonobo cultures?

you didn’t answer, so I looked it up:

...Hierarchies are fundamentally “about” mating access, so male hierarchies apply solely in those species in which mating opportunities are controlled by males. This is not universal, and some species, bonobos being the most obvious, have either a female primary hierarchy, or a mixed hierarchy…

http://evolvingthoughts.net/2009/07/social-dominance-hierarchies/

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 04 June 2012 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Greatest I am - 29 May 2012 05:30 AM

With the legalization of Gay marriage, the focus is changing from law and convention to the notion that all humans should have the right to seek a loving relationship with whoever they want.

That will open the door to people who want multiple partners in whatever combination you can name.

Regards
DL

Maybe in Canada, but not in the USA.

Signature 

Posted: 04 June 2012 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  604
Joined  2011-08-10
mid atlantic - 04 June 2012 03:57 AM
Greatest I am - 29 May 2012 05:30 AM

Regards
DL

Maybe in Canada, but not in the USA.

Watch.
It will be world wide. As it should be.
The U S already has multiple partners allowed.

Regards
DL

Posted: 04 June 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  5167
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting GIA:

The U S already has multiple partners allowed.

Not true for a marriage in any of the United States.  If you are talking about serial multiple partners because of a series of marriages with intervening divorces that’s not quite the same thing.  Similarly, affairs are not condoned although they are quite common.

If you are talking about some other country with the initials U S, you’ll have to clarify.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 June 2012 02:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14
mid atlantic - 28 May 2012 07:35 PM

In the States, generally, a man who is not content with monogamy can be punished legally; only in the most extreme cases are women held to this same standard.

`

What??  ‘splain Lucy :)

a man who has several female sexual partners can be punished legally?  a man who has an mutually-agreed-upon ‘open’ relationship with his wife can be punished legally?

WTF?

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 05 June 2012 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Axegrrl - 05 June 2012 02:56 AM
mid atlantic - 28 May 2012 07:35 PM

`

What??  ‘splain Lucy smile

a man who has several female sexual partners can be punished legally?  a man who has an mutually-agreed-upon ‘open’ relationship with his wife can be punished legally?

WTF?

`

In many states, yes.

A married couple can agree to an open relationship, but when the wife inevitably gets tired of her husband having sex with other women, she can quite easily initiate divorce and ruin his life financially; marriage laws in the US don’t take open relationship agreements into account, although some states are more conservative about it than others.  Actually, in a few states, a man and woman who simply live together are considered a common law married couple - whether the couple likes it or not.

Women however, are rarely treated the same way in that same scenario.

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2012 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 05 June 2012 04:57 AM

A married couple can agree to an open relationship, but when the wife inevitably gets tired of her husband having sex with other women, she can quite easily initiate divorce and ruin his life financially; marriage laws in the US don’t take open relationship agreements into account, although some states are more conservative about it than others.  Actually, in a few states, a man and woman who simply live together are considered a common law married couple - whether the couple likes it or not.

A man can initiate a divorce as easily as a woman. You cannot be put in jail or fined for adultery anywhere in the US, while the laws may be on the books, they are no longer enforceable (if you have examples of enforcement, please provide..). A person can live and copulate with as many people he or she wants, but can only be legally married to one at a time. The bigamy laws do get enforced, whether committed by a man or woman.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 June 2012 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

And from having observed the phenomenon of open marriage as it was practiced during the seventies, I got a kick because it was usually the husband who initiated it, and was also the one who wanted to go back to closed marriage.  This was because the husbands had the idea that they could have all the women they wanted, but it turned out that it was much easier for the wife to find willing males than it was for the husbands to find willing women. smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
asanta - 05 June 2012 10:56 AM
mid atlantic - 05 June 2012 04:57 AM

A man can initiate a divorce as easily as a woman. You cannot be put in jail or fined for adultery anywhere in the US, while the laws may be on the books, they are no longer enforceable (if you have examples of enforcement, please provide..). A person can live and copulate with as many people he or she wants, but can only be legally married to one at a time. The bigamy laws do get enforced, whether committed by a man or woman.

Yes a man can initiate divorce, but in many cases the courts rule in favor of the woman - even if she is clearly at fault.

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Occam. - 05 June 2012 12:49 PM

And from having observed the phenomenon of open marriage as it was practiced during the seventies, I got a kick because it was usually the husband who initiated it, and was also the one who wanted to go back to closed marriage.  This was because the husbands had the idea that they could have all the women they wanted, but it turned out that it was much easier for the wife to find willing males than it was for the husbands to find willing women. smile

Occam

Those men were doing it wrong. cool smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2012 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Maybe, but from what I’ve seen, the general sexual behavior has changed markedly from what it was thirty-five years ago; my reference point for my post.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2012 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  3794
Joined  2010-08-15
Greatest I am - 27 May 2012 12:19 PM
citizenschallenge.pm - 26 May 2012 08:42 PM

But seriously folks,

looking around at the world MEN of influence and means have achieved for humanity in the past century…
[- weeping frownie -]
how can such a weird question even be entertained?

We should not entertain thoughts of equality of the sexes?

Really?

Regards
DL

ahhh, sorry my train of thought wasn’t going along that track     oh oh

Equality in what way?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
perhaps I wasn’t giving your opening post the seriousness it deserved, but the god and king stuff tripped me up.
i just sort of fixated on:
“Should man rule over women for women’s own good?”
As for my remark, it was more along the lines of:

Jeez, it’s impossible to imagine how women could/would have screwed the pooch as badly as men have.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

3 of 7