4 of 7
Should man rule over women for women’s own good?
Posted: 07 June 2012 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  604
Joined  2011-08-10
citizenschallenge.pm - 05 June 2012 09:51 PM
Greatest I am - 27 May 2012 12:19 PM
citizenschallenge.pm - 26 May 2012 08:42 PM

But seriously folks,

looking around at the world MEN of influence and means have achieved for humanity in the past century…
[- weeping frownie -]
how can such a weird question even be entertained?

We should not entertain thoughts of equality of the sexes?

Really?

Regards
DL

ahhh, sorry my train of thought wasn’t going along that track     oh oh

Equality in what way?

Under law for starters. Women generally earn about 3/4 of what men do in the same line of work.
That is getting better but we are not there yet.

I would think that the best form of equality would allow all of us, to follow our bliss without penalty thanks to sex.

We should all have the right to follow our natures.

Regards
DL

Posted: 07 June 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
Occam. - 04 June 2012 03:22 PM

Quoting GIA:

The U S already has multiple partners allowed.

Not true for a marriage in any of the United States.  If you are talking about serial multiple partners because of a series of marriages with intervening divorces that’s not quite the same thing.  Similarly, affairs are not condoned although they are quite common.

If you are talking about some other country with the initials U S, you’ll have to clarify.

Occam

I stand corrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_polygamy#Countries_that_recognize_polygamous_marriages

I thought that the U S followed Canada in this as they have Mormon polygamist household in existence.

There seems to be a law against it but it is not always enforced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIteYji6t_g

Regards
DL

Posted: 07 June 2012 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  5550
Joined  2010-06-16

The Utah territory allowed polygamy but they had to outlaw it in their constitution before they were accepted as a state in the U.S.  In fact, Mit Romney’s grandfather (a Mormon) immigrated to Mexico so he could engage in that practice.

The law against it in the U.S. is strictly enforced when they find an example of it.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 June 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

I was a bit surprised at how prevalent it is, worldwide, for marriage to be legally defined or accepted as one man and one or more women.  This form of polygamy, aka, polygyny, seems to me, to be another social construct that promotes men having authority over women.  It seems to me that in a fair society, if polygyny is accepted, then polyandry and, perhaps, group marriage should be, as well.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 June 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  5550
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree with the concept of group marriage, however, I’ve found that handling a close relationship with just one person is so complex that I’d never want to deal with three or four of those relationships and interrelationships at one time.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 June 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Actually, I should not be surprised that polygyny is so prevalent, worldwide, as it is so widely accepted, I think, primarily due to the teachings of Islam.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 June 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Occam. - 07 June 2012 09:52 AM

I agree with the concept of group marriage, however, I’ve found that handling a close relationship with just one person is so complex that I’d never want to deal with three or four of those relationships and interrelationships at one time.  LOL

Occam

And, on a more serious note, the legal ramifications could be chaotically complex.

Still the acceptance of polygny, without the acceptance of polyandry, seems to me to be another social control mechanism that promotes a male-centric,  male dominated society.

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2012 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
TimB - 07 June 2012 09:48 AM

I was a bit surprised at how prevalent it is, worldwide, for marriage to be legally defined or accepted as one man and one or more women.  This form of polygamy, aka, polygyny, seems to me, to be another social construct that promotes men having authority over women.  It seems to me that in a fair society, if polygyny is accepted, then polyandry and, perhaps, group marriage should be, as well.

It was explained to me by a Muslim that they are to accept as wives the widows of their brothers.
I questioned him on the self-serving aspects but he was adamant that it was not for pleasure but duty only.

If you think of it, he may have had a point as I do not think I would enjoy more than one wife as I get older.
My wife and I are as happy as larks and still share a strong love but there is no way that I would want two of even her around.
Unless her name is Shania Twain of course. What a doll.
My door is open for her anytime.

Regards
DL

Posted: 07 June 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

As I recall, when I studied Islam, making wives of widows is encouraged, but having multiple wives other than widows is not ruled out.  My understanding is that a Muslim can have as many wives as he wishes as long he is capable of supporting them properly.  He is not to take wives who are not either Muslim or Christian or Jewish or willing to become Muslim. If they need beating, he shouldn’t use anything larger than a small stick.

Personally, I can’t even handle one wife (divorced twice).  But then, I never considered beating them.

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
TimB - 07 June 2012 12:52 PM

As I recall, when I studied Islam, making wives of widows is encouraged, but having multiple wives other than widows is not ruled out.  My understanding is that a Muslim can have as many wives as he wishes as long he is capable of supporting them properly.  He is not to take wives who are not either Muslim or Christian or Jewish or willing to become Muslim. If they need beating, he shouldn’t use anything larger than a small stick.

Personally, I can’t even handle one wife (divorced twice).  But then, I never considered beating them.

When I was twenty I slapped my first wife the one time. Not hard but a slap nevertheless.

My shame was great enough that I never did again.

I also spanked my first son the one time as well and the same thing. Shame was on me and not on him.

Shame is a good teacher.
Regards
DL

Posted: 07 June 2012 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  4030
Joined  2010-08-15
Greatest I am - 07 June 2012 08:28 AM

Equality in what way?

Under law for starters. Women generally earn about 3/4 of what men do in the same line of work.

I would think that the best form of equality would allow all of us, to follow our bliss without penalty thanks to sex.

Regards
DL

For the record I’m in total agreement.
In fact, I though the failure of the Equal Rights Amendment to get ratified by enough states, let along all of them, was a terrible indictment of Americans.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 07 June 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
citizenschallenge.pm - 07 June 2012 02:11 PM
Greatest I am - 07 June 2012 08:28 AM

Equality in what way?

Regards
DL

For the record I’m in total agreement.
In fact, I though the failure of the Equal Rights Amendment to get ratified by enough states, let along all of them, was a terrible indictment of Americans.

No argument. Unfortunately they are not the only so called free and democratic states, who are really oligarchies, that have not ratified it or did so without putting their money where their mouth was.

The West is not walking it’s talk.

Regards
DL

Posted: 13 June 2012 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
Occam. - 05 June 2012 12:49 PM

And from having observed the phenomenon of open marriage as it was practiced during the seventies, I got a kick because it was usually the husband who initiated it, and was also the one who wanted to go back to closed marriage.  This was because the husbands had the idea that they could have all the women they wanted, but it turned out that it was much easier for the wife to find willing males than it was for the husbands to find willing women. :)

`
And anyone who listens to ‘Savage Love’ (Dan Savage’s podcast) knows how often things play out that way!

the realities of human attraction can be very unkind at times :(

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 14 July 2012 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-07-14

Men should rule over women because woman is taken from man. It is up to a man if he allow the woman to rule over him. A good relationship depend on you. smile

Signature 

There’s no harm if we believe in Him.

Posted: 14 July 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  4742
Joined  2007-10-05
magus - 14 July 2012 08:32 AM

Men should rule over women because woman is taken from man.

This is one of the most ignorant, idiotic statements I have read on these forums. The Garden of Eden myth in the Bible is just that, a myth. Anyone who takes it seriously is not interested in higher lever thinking.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

4 of 7