Online shopping, bill paying, and email predicted in 1967
Posted: 25 May 2012 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

This is a charming clip from a 1967 film Year 1999 A.D.. Although the predictions of how the actual technology would work is laughably naïve, it is actually pretty much spot on in terms of how the new technology would affect people’s lives.

The other funny thing is that they totally didn’t see changes in gender roles coming! Mom does the shopping, dad pays the bills and handles all the other “important” family business. This makes me happy to see how much attitudes have changed in my lifetime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XxKORHKcjg

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 25 May 2012 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Science fiction movies and books almost always get the psychology wrong. I am not surprised: most people who are very knowledgeable when it comes to technology usually lack social skills—I read somewhere that most of them are probably even mildly autistic.

Posted: 25 May 2012 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Actually, I feel autistic sometimes but I actually score very low on the scale…*shrugs*

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 25 May 2012 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05

So we have families with two people working and the economy is still falling apart and this is an example of bad predictions from science fiction?  LOL

How about:

Subversive (1962) by Reynolds Mack
http://www.digilibraries.com/ebook/115574/Subversive/

How much science fiction assumes people are smarter than they are and society ends up doing dumb things with technology that SF did not predict.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 25 August 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-08-25

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I, too, resemble that remark!

Jokes apart, have you heard about Paul Otlet (1868-1944)? He’s one of the fathers of information science.