1 of 2
Obelisks in Egypt
Posted: 27 May 2012 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Watched one of those Ancient Aliens Shows on YouTube, they talked about Alien technology and that it must have been used to carve those hyroglyphs in the great obelisks, cause they are all exactly the same, like (their words, not mine) they have been made with a computer controlled drill.

Thats a little bit hard to believe, i dont think that the Egyptians have been that bad at copying their own work, also you would need to measure the signs first, had this been done ever before by serious scientists?

btw.: In the 90ies, in Germany they showed a weekly TV-Show with Erich von Daeniken, was that ever translated and broadcast in the US?

Posted: 27 May 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

Obviously you need a lot more info to evaluate this claim but this always come back to the same argument. Just because you don’t have an explanation for something does not mean it was Aliens ( or god).

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 27 May 2012 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Hm, unfortunately it is not possible to go to Egypt, stuff some of that air hardening rubber at the obelisk and see if it fits on the other side… or maybe now is a good time to pay someone to look away grin

Posted: 28 May 2012 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Watched one of those Ancient Aliens Shows on YouTube, they talked about Alien technology and that it must have been used to carve those hyroglyphs in the great obelisks, cause they are all exactly the same, like (their words, not mine) they have been made with a computer controlled drill.

Thats a little bit hard to believe, i dont think that the Egyptians have been that bad at copying their own work, also you would need to measure the signs first, had this been done ever before by serious scientists?

btw.: In the 90ies, in Germany they showed a weekly TV-Show with Erich von Daeniken, was that ever translated and broadcast in the US?

To answer your second question, yes, many times over. Go to any reference to head of antiquities Zahi Hawas for a full explanation. Like religion, scientists have been pushing back the absurd notion of alien architects, and for the last 20 years serious research has been done by valid Egyptologists who read the original texts and it clearly shows that the Egyptians were not only capable of building one massive scale, but also painting and intricate carving using metal tools. They’ve even found the tools in tombs and workshops. It’s unbelievable that the History channel, would even perpetuate this urban myth with the facts readily available to anyone on the Internet. And Von Daniken did it for the money.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 May 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Alexander80 - 27 May 2012 11:43 AM

All nonsense, and Von Däniken is a crank. For more see HERE and HERE.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 28 May 2012 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

From the skepdic.com link provided above:

Von Däniken claims that the myths, arts, social organizations, etc., of ancient cultures were introduced by astronauts from another world. He questions not just the capacity for memory, but the capacity for culture and civilization itself, in ancient peoples. Prehistoric humans did not develop their own arts and technologies, but rather were taught art and science by visitors from outer space.

It’s attitudes like this which reveal a certain amount of racism. The same kind that led to terms like ‘savages’ and ‘barbarians’ applied to virtually every unfamiliar culture that European colonialists encountered, for example. It’s foolish and immature, and we as human beings really should be moving on from these kinds of attitudes.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 28 May 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
TromboneAndrew - 28 May 2012 04:15 PM

It’s attitudes like this which reveal a certain amount of racism. The same kind that led to terms like ‘savages’ and ‘barbarians’ applied to virtually every unfamiliar culture that European colonialists encountered, for example. It’s foolish and immature, and we as human beings really should be moving on from these kinds of attitudes.

Yep.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 28 May 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Nope.

The reason I joined this forum many years ago was to defend von Däniken when he was accused of racism on the Point of Inquiry by Nickell who, BTW, has as much imagination with no supporting evidence—at least when it comes to Nazca. von Däniken is not racist. I have read all of his books and I never came across anything that even hints on racism. The fact that he also wrote a book about the “gods of the white people” shows that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar: von Däniken sees his evidence everywhere, including Europe. Sorry, I know how important white guilt is to you, guys, but it won’t do this time.

Posted: 28 May 2012 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Actually, now that I think about it, there were more than one book from him on the “primitive Europeans.” I now remember a fun book (he is a decent writer), a novel, about a family traveling across Europe and finding evidence of the ancient astronauts. I can’t find the book now and I can’t remember its name.

But I found a few others. I am translating it to English, so the names may not be accurate:

Evidence from Five Continents, 1977
Mysteries of Old Europe, 1992

...and there was more.

Posted: 28 May 2012 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

And one more thing: if you are trying to figure which of the six continents the racist von Däniken excluded from his “studies” (he obviously had nothing on Antarctica) you need to know that in Europe the Americas are considered one continent. So there you go: “Evidence from Five Continents” includes “evidence” from Australia, Asia, America, Africa…and…and…and, OMG!, EUROPE!

Posted: 28 May 2012 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

For the record only, at no time did I even entertain the notion that Von Danikin was a racist. I read the book when it came out and was intrigued by his contention then began to do some serious study on the subject including Mayan lore and found the facts that refuted his claims. I figured that if a novice historian could do it then why not a well known author, thus my contention that fantastic alien stories sell books. It was, after all popular at the time.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 May 2012 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I am now wondering if people in the U.S. see von Däniken as racist because from what I can tell none of the books about Europe was translated into English.

Posted: 28 May 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
George - 28 May 2012 06:35 PM

Nope.

The reason I joined this forum many years ago was to defend von Däniken when he was accused of racism on the Point of Inquiry by Nickell who, BTW, has as much imagination with no supporting evidence—at least when it comes to Nazca. von Däniken is not racist. I have read all of his books and I never came across anything that even hints on racism. The fact that he also wrote a book about the “gods of the white people” shows that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar: von Däniken sees his evidence everywhere, including Europe. Sorry, I know how important white guilt is to you, guys, but it won’t do this time.

I said ‘a certain amount of racism’ not ‘blatant racism.’ It’s the kind of prejudice that assumes that more primitive people were also imbiciles. Perhaps racism isn’t quite the right word, but a kind of modernist elitism?

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 29 May 2012 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I am now wondering if people in the U.S. see von Däniken as racist because from what I can tell none of the books about Europe was translated into English.

This is interesting George because I’ve never even heard of the books that you mention. Maybe the publisher thought that his other works wouldn’t sell here as well as the “Chariots” books. Who wants to read boring European history over sensationalist alien stories?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 29 May 2012 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

No, Jack, these are books about sensational alien stories from Europe.  grin No idea why they decided not to publish them in English.

Posted: 29 May 2012 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Now rhat’s a REAL mystery with ufologists aplenty here. I mean when “Chariots” first hit the bookshelves everyone wanted to read it. It stands to reason that more books would mean more profit, especially here. Look at the vampire series now, and Graham Hancock’s books.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

1 of 2