2 of 2
Obelisks in Egypt
Posted: 29 May 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I haven’t read von Däniken in a number of years so I can’t really go back now and say whether or not there was anything specifically racist in any of his beliefs or assumptions, but I think the case can easily be made that he had a sort of techno-centric arrogance which assumed that primitive peoples couldn’t possible have built the great monuments that they did because we can’t figure out how they did it. (Or are unaware of the fact that somebody has, but it’s not well publicised.)

It’s an assumption which ignores the fact that humans are problem solvers. If there’s a way it can possibly be done, even with brute force, muscle power, and simple tools, somebody can and will find a way to make it happen. Brain power is brain power, and just because we don’t know or understand how somebody could achieve something doesn’t mean that somebody else couldn’t. To suggest otherwise is no more then an appeal to ignorance.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 30 May 2012 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqtEppZmjfw&feature=g-u-u

I’d bet that information like this makes ancient-alien proponents’ heads spin. How did Archimedes come up with that geometric theorem? Aliens! Why? Because I don’t understand it!

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 31 May 2012 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I really love this.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7q20VzwVs  I may have found the link to it in this forum originally, but it’s worth seeing again.

If only I had more time…...

I have a theory, impossible to test, that one man could have built the pyramids; only, if he’d started in 3000 B.C. he wouldn’t be done yet.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 31 May 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
Jeciron - 31 May 2012 04:53 AM

I really love this.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7q20VzwVs  I may have found the link to it in this forum originally, but it’s worth seeing again.

If only I had more time…...

I have a theory, impossible to test, that one man could have built the pyramids; only, if he’d started in 3000 B.C. he wouldn’t be done yet.

Neat! That’s too much time well spent!

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 31 May 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Interesting video, thanks!

Posted: 31 May 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

The ridiculousness of “ancient astronauts” being responsible for ancient Egyptian structures comes into focus when you look at it this way:  These highly advanced beings traveled thousands of light years in their intergalactic ships capable of blocking deadly radiation, micro-meteors, and all sorts of problems associated with space travel.  Once here what medium did they choose to work in: Compound metallurgical alloys not found naturally on Earth?  No.  Carbon fiber?  No.  Nano-anything?  No.  They chose the exact same thing the Egyptians had been using all along - stone. 

It would be as if Neil Armstrong, after landing on the Moon, didn’t set up titanium and gold plated instruments with highly polished mirrored surfaces containing electronics whose clear purpose is to reflect laser light from Earth…but instead piled some Moon rocks into a self-supporting structure.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 01 June 2012 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29
TromboneAndrew - 30 May 2012 11:28 PM

I’d bet that information like this makes ancient-alien proponents’ heads spin. How did Archimedes come up with that geometric theorem? Aliens! Why? Because I don’t understand it!

This TED’s presentation is absolutely fascinating. Thanks for posting it, Andrew.

Posted: 01 June 2012 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
George - 01 June 2012 07:18 AM
TromboneAndrew - 30 May 2012 11:28 PM

This TED’s presentation is absolutely fascinating. Thanks for posting it, Andrew.

Thanks! There’s a bit more to it than what I typed. Good stuff.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 02 June 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3060
Joined  2011-08-15

Fascinating video Andrew! It makes you wonder what’s under the tens of thousands of medieval manuscripts out there. I hope the team continues their search and uncovers even more ancient marvels. who knows that the ancient Alexandrian library might just be hidden under xtian Books of Hours. Definitely not alien in origin, unless Archimedes was from Venus!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 June 2012 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

I read Chariot of the Gods while in my early 20s. I loved the book and read it several times. I think I am probably the only one on earth who didn’t realize he was serious.. oh oh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 June 2012 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I think I am probably the only one on earth who didn’t realize he was serious…

The first time I saw a copy, it was one I found as a wee bairn which one of my uncles was reading through. It had all kinds of scribbled notes along the side…in red ink…of all the things he found wrong with it.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 03 June 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23
asanta - 03 June 2012 01:41 AM

I read Chariot of the Gods while in my early 20s. I loved the book and read it several times. I think I am probably the only one on earth who didn’t realize he was serious.. oh oh

I have started to read them really early with 9 or so, our local library still has a huge amount of his books (back to the 60ies), even if i disagree with his work today i have to say that, in these earl years, he made me look more skeptical at certain things, and don’t believe everything, finally making me refuse religion and similar stuff…        damn strange isnt it?

Did you hear about his Mystery Park?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungfrau_Park

Posted: 03 June 2012 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 03 June 2012 08:40 AM

I think I am probably the only one on earth who didn’t realize he was serious…

The first time I saw a copy, it was one I found as a wee bairn which one of my uncles was reading through. It had all kinds of scribbled notes along the side…in red ink…of all the things he found wrong with it.

I just thought it was a fun scifi read…..obviously clueless..at least I didn’t fall for it!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 June 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  4452
Joined  2007-08-31
Alexander80 - 03 June 2012 03:38 PM

Did you hear about his Mystery Park?

I’ve been there, when it was still Mystery Park. I’ve even seen von Däniken, he seemed really proud. It was just an impressively made show of his idea, using all kinds of theatre multimedia techniques: 3D movies, a theatre with a glass floor where Nazca wa projected under your feet, so it looked as if you were really flying over it, laser projections etc etc.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

2 of 2