Wall chart/Map as art
Posted: 31 May 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

I am trying to build some sort of relief (wall)chart or map about a scientific topic.
Something i could use lights and mechanical parts for, to visualize certain things.

I thought about building a periodic table but this doesn’t leave much space for art.

Maybe something from world history, or so?

Do you have any suggestions?

Posted: 31 May 2012 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05

How about lots of model planes, preferably the same scale.

Could even show the history and evolution of aerodynamic design.  You could change it and add to it indefinitely.  Even expand it across the ceiling with mobiles.  Of course by then people would think you were nuts.  LOL

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 31 May 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Interesting, but i think ill do this when i have enough space for it.

I also thought about a book project, with a lavishly made book cover, like those things at deviantart.
I got the idea from an article in a german tech magazine, they showed a book with the Title “The great book of resistance”, and inside where all possible kinds of Resistors grin

Posted: 01 June 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3262
Joined  2011-08-15

I am trying to build some sort of relief (wall)chart or map about a scientific topic.
Something i could use lights and mechanical parts for, to visualize certain things.

I thought about building a periodic table but this doesn’t leave much space for art.

Maybe something from world history, or so?

Do you have any suggestions?

Psych mentioned models as an art form. My passion is model ships from the Napoleonic era. I’m finishing the U.S.S. Constitution and had an idea to light the interior. There are a series of led lights for the purpose and the effect is a realistic looking model. It’ s a challenge and keeps me sane to say the least. It also reflects an important period in World history. I also build World war I aircraft dioramas using 1/48 scale models. If you’re interested, the best are made in the Czech Republic.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 01 June 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Sound like fun, Alexander. If I think of any ideas I’ll let you know.

I’ve built many puppets in my life, but I haven’t done much in a while as my kids still keep me quite busy.

Here are a couple of interesting things that may help to inspire you:

Charles Minard’s 1869 chart of Napoleon’s march. (One of my favourites.) And The Illuminated Origin of Species by Kelly Houle, which is just breathtaking—she is still working on it and probably will be for a while.

Posted: 02 June 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2010-04-22

How about a wall chart depicting the history of important advances in optics?

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk