How Christian fundamentalists plan to teach genocide to schoolchildren
Posted: 01 June 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-04-20

From The Guardian

This fall, more than 100,000 American public school children, ranging in age from four to 12, are scheduled to receive instruction in the lessons of Saul and the Amalekites in the comfort of their own public school classrooms.

Oh My Dog!

A hundred thousand kids will swallow this crap, and taxpayers will pay for it.

With this kind of “education”, in a few years the religious freedom in the U.S. will be pretty much the same we can find today in countries like Pakistan.

Full article here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/30/christian-fundamentalists-plan-teach-genocide

Posted: 01 June 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1398
Joined  2010-04-22
jls7227 - 01 June 2012 10:43 AM

With this kind of “education”, in a few years the religious freedom in the U.S. will be pretty much the same we can find today in countries like Pakistan.

This is hyperbole.

Still, I don’t see how it’s clear that teaching this stuff to kids will actually recruit them as the Child Evangelism Fellowship intends. Do kids latch on to this part of the Bible? It is, after all, pretty dark stuff.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 01 June 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3189
Joined  2011-11-04
TromboneAndrew - 01 June 2012 02:01 PM
jls7227 - 01 June 2012 10:43 AM

This is hyperbole.

Still, I don’t see how it’s clear that teaching this stuff to kids will actually recruit them as the Child Evangelism Fellowship intends. Do kids latch on to this part of the Bible? It is, after all, pretty dark stuff.

As a Southern Baptist child, I didn’t latch on to it, while going to church regularly, but then I was the kind of kid who would grow up, eventually, to be an agnostic.  I don’t recall that these kind of harsh stories from the Bible seem to have had much relevance, and were not the typical Sunday School faire, anyway.  Maybe if it seemed like part of my school curriculum, it would have seemed more salient.  I don’t know.

Anyway, I don’t like the idea of fundamentalists having our schools as a platform for promoting this sick part of the Christian doctrine, just as I would not want Muslim fundamentalists to have the potential to spread some of their socially sick ideas through the public education system.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 June 2012 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Do kids latch on to this part of the Bible? It is, after all, pretty dark stuff.

Why not? Adults do!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 01 June 2012 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2698
Joined  2011-04-24

Hmmmm, it appears that this bible study is an after school program - not part of the curriculum; it still doesn’t belong in public school though.  I don’t think there is much to worry about.  Kids can’t be magically transformed in to genocidal warriors anyway.

Typical left wing British crap from the Guardian.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 02 June 2012 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  6103
Joined  2009-02-26
mid atlantic - 01 June 2012 08:50 PM

Hmmmm, it appears that this bible study is an after school program - not part of the curriculum; it still doesn’t belong in public school though.  I don’t think there is much to worry about.  Kids can’t be magically transformed in to genocidal warriors anyway.

Unfortunately, yes they can, as was and is evident in some Islamic countries and some African countries.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 June 2012 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

Is this gong to be on the test?  gulp

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 03 June 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-04-20
mid atlantic - 01 June 2012 08:50 PM

it still doesn’t belong in public school though.

That was my point. The neutrality of the State respect to religion is a two-hundred year old concept, and reading the book of one specific religion violates that principle. Parents are free to send their kids to whatever church they prefer, so there is no need to waste public money in religious matters.