1 of 2
Fundamentalist snakehandler dies
Posted: 02 June 2012 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3213
Joined  2011-08-15

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/veteran-snakehandling-pas_n_1559762.html

This is an example of the extreme fundamentalism in our area. The faithful will subject themselves to potential harm to placate their god. Taking a cue from the book of mark they handle poisonous snakes, and in the Winter months, drink poison and pass blowtourches under their chin to prove their faith in the floppy book. Several have died or were maimed in these mindless rituals that begin with religious music to whip up the crowd’s enthusiasm then the faithful “take up serpents”. The results are painful and deadly.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 02 June 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2012-02-02

Darwin: 1, Jesus: 0

A friend of mine claimed to be descended from the founders of the snake handling sects.  Said friend is a pagan.  cheese

I wonder if they took the preacher to the hospital immediately after he was bitten, or if they tried to “pray away” the venom, and only took him to the hospital when it became obvious that Darwin was at the door?

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 02 June 2012 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

The problem is that the various injuries and deaths don’t have the members recognize that their belief system is flawed.  Rather, they just observe that a) “the person didn’t have sufficient faith, or b) “this is punishment for some hidden sin the person had perpetrated.”

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 June 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

A friend of mine claimed to be descended from the founders of the snake handling sects.  Said friend is a pagan.  

I wonder if they took the preacher to the hospital immediately after he was bitten, or if they tried to “pray away” the venom, and only took him to the hospital when it became obvious that Darwin was at the door?

He refused treatment for several hours as he believed he would be healed by the ever present “holy spirit”. As a result, said spirit abandoned him and he died. This happens often when the bitee allows god to make the ultimate decision about their faith, or lack of and those who survive are considered to be faithful. Soooo, they can tempt fate yet again. some have been bitten as many as 14 times. I often wondered why they don’t just chamber a bullet and spin the cylinder; it makes as much sense.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 02 June 2012 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  292
Joined  2011-09-13
Thevillageatheist - 02 June 2012 06:35 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/veteran-snakehandling-pas_n_1559762.html

This is an example of the extreme fundamentalism in our area. The faithful will subject themselves to potential harm to placate their god. Taking a cue from the book of mark they handle poisonous snakes, and in the Winter months, drink poison and pass blowtourches under their chin to prove their faith in the floppy book. Several have died or were maimed in these mindless rituals that begin with religious music to whip up the crowd’s enthusiasm then the faithful “take up serpents”. The results are painful and deadly.

Cap’t Jack

Though I’m not the least bit impressed by anyone who handles poisonous creatures, except in scientific labs for legitimate study,  I’m saddened to hear of his death.  I only wish his “faith” hadn’t been so strong.

Posted: 02 June 2012 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

If you show doubts and let them treat you, you may end up in hell for questioning gods healing powers, i think (and good that i do so)

When hearing such things i have to think at the resistance against donor blood by the Jehovas Witness.

How is that regulated by law in the USA?

If a child, for example, has a traffic accident and is rushed to the hospital, surgery and donor blood are needed to ensure the child’s survival, the parents arrive and demand that no donor blood shall be used, what do the physicians have to do in such a situation?
Will they get sued if they use donor blood?

Posted: 02 June 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
Alexander80 - 02 June 2012 03:58 PM

If you show doubts and let them treat you, you may end up in hell for questioning gods healing powers, i think (and good that i do so)

When hearing such things i have to think at the resistance against donor blood by the Jehovas Witness.

How is that regulated by law in the USA?

If a child, for example, has a traffic accident and is rushed to the hospital, surgery and donor blood are needed to ensure the child’s survival, the parents arrive and demand that no donor blood shall be used, what do the physicians have to do in such a situation?

I’m not sure if they would be sued; but in the USA, it’s legal for doctors to withhold treatment from a patient, if the patient objects to it on religious grounds.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 03 June 2012 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Alexander80 - 02 June 2012 03:58 PM

If a child is in an accident and absolutely needs a blood transfusion to live, we make a call to a Judge who is available for such a situation and get a court order. The courts have ruled that although the parents are devout followers of the religion, the child is not old enough to have made a decision or understand the ramifications of such a choice. If the child is a teen, and alert, and refuses, we would after explaining the consequences, follow his/her wishes, with the understanding they could change their minds, and then do everything we can do to save their lives. I (personally) have never seen a teen refuse, although I have seen an 18 year old young woman who had just given birth die because she refused blood and there was nothing we could do to save her…she’d lost too much blood. She would have lived had we transfused her.

[edit add] Adults can refuse any treatment. If we try to treat them after they have refused, we can be charged with assault and battery.

[ Edited: 03 June 2012 01:52 AM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 June 2012 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Coldheart Tucker - 02 June 2012 07:47 AM

Darwin: 1, Jesus: 0

A friend of mine claimed to be descended from the founders of the snake handling sects.  Said friend is a pagan.  cheese

He stayed home for several days, refusing medical care. His mother was at his bedside. His father died the same way. They called 911 when Darwin came calling…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 June 2012 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

@asanta that sound horrible, and it seems to happen often, may i ask where you work, is it an emergency room, and is the hospital in a large city?

Here in Austria (back in 2006) a 19 year old died because he refused donor blood, many years ago the parents of a 10 year old have been incapacitate by court to enable blood transfusion.

I see no difference between that or sacrificing children to the rain-god.

Posted: 03 June 2012 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I can accept it if they think they are going against god’s will if they accept medical intervention, however, if they believe that, how can they justify using any transportation except walking, eat any food that’s been processed in any manner, wear clothes that were made using any machines, listen to radio, watch television, read any newspapers (including their church bulletin), use telephones, walk on concrete sidewalks, and on and on. 

I love such obvious cognitive dissonance.  After I finished my schooling I realized science majors are never exposed to empathy so I spent quite a bit of time trying to think inside the heads of others, and it worked to some extent.  However, no matter how hard I try, cannot twist my mind to think like these idiots.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 June 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I can accept it if they think they are going against god’s will if they accept medical intervention, however, if they believe that, how can they justify using any transportation except walking, eat any food that’s been processed in any manner, wear clothes that were made using any machines, listen to radio, watch television, read any newspapers (including their church bulletin), use telephones, walk on concrete sidewalks, and on and on. 

Ever heard of the Amish, and I don’t mean that facetiously. There is a whole community of them in central Ohio and it’s interesting how they work out the scenarios you mention. They’re a closed community with their own transportation (horses), their own food supply (they grow their own organically), their own schools and language( Grerman), no TV, radio, and limited contact with the outside World, except to sell food, homemade furniture, and folk crafts. Their clothes are homemade and they fasten them with bone buttons, no zippers. I believe that they do use hospital facilities though.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 June 2012 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-02-02
Thevillageatheist - 03 June 2012 06:15 PM

Ever heard of the Amish, and I don’t mean that facetiously. There is a whole community of them in central Ohio and it’s interesting how they work out the scenarios you mention. They’re a closed community with their own transportation (horses), their own food supply (they grow their own organically), their own schools and language( Grerman), no TV, radio, and limited contact with the outside World, except to sell food, homemade furniture, and folk crafts. Their clothes are homemade and they fasten them with bone buttons, no zippers. I believe that they do use hospital facilities though.

Cap’t Jack

And cellphones, and airplanes, and buses.  They’re somewhat hypocritical in that they won’t allow electricity into their homes, but lots of them have little birdhouse looking boxes on their front porches which hold a solar charger for their cellphones.  They’ve also no problem at all in using electricity on the job.  There’s a good documentary about them called “The Devil’s Playground.”

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

Posted: 03 June 2012 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2012-02-02

Article in today’s local paper about the rise of snake handlers in the area.

Hamblin, 21, pastor of Tabernacle Church of God in LaFollette, Tenn., is part of a new generation of serpent-handling Christians who are revitalizing a century-old faith tradition in Tennessee.

While older serpent handlers were wary of outsiders, these younger believers welcome visitors and use Facebook to promote their often misunderstood — and illegal — version of Christianity. They want to show the beauty and power of their extreme form of spirituality. And they hope eventually to reverse a state ban on handling snakes in church.

Signature 

Posted: 03 June 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Alexander80 - 03 June 2012 08:42 AM

@asanta that sound horrible, and it seems to happen often, may i ask where you work, is it an emergency room, and is the hospital in a large city?

Here in Austria (back in 2006) a 19 year old died because he refused donor blood, many years ago the parents of a 10 year old have been incapacitate by court to enable blood transfusion.

I see no difference between that or sacrificing children to the rain-god.

I worked in the ICU of a large city. In the US, a parent cannot refuse a lifesaving blood transfusion for their child. We try to honor thier wishes, but if they truly need a transfusion, we get a court order. It doesn’t take long, there is always a judge available for that purpose.

Signature 

Posted: 04 June 2012 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 03 June 2012 06:15 PM

Cap’t Jack

There is an Amish community in south central Pennsylvania (Lancaster) near me.  I’ve encountered a few of them and they seemed willing to accept some modern conveniences.  I’ve often wondered how they deal with death and disability though.  No doubt, some will accept the modern scientific advances; others won’t.

I suppose they categorize themselves just like we do.

[ Edited: 04 June 2012 03:44 AM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

1 of 2