2 of 2
Meanwhile in Egypt…
Posted: 06 June 2012 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
Occam. - 05 June 2012 01:00 PM

While I’ve certainly offended people, I try not to do so.  My motivation is to convert those with weird ideas to a more reasonable approach, and offending them just polarized them and locks them into their beliefs..

Occam

I don’t mean that people should go out of their way to offend others.  But when a person or group initiates the process by wanting to legislate what adults can say, do, own, eat or drink (cough, cough, Bloomberg!) then it is prudent for defenders of freedom and liberty to stand up to these people.  For example, when they want to ban a book - read the book!  It is exactly as Edmund Burke said, “All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.”  Reading the banned book may offend and then polarize them, but they would have remained offended and polarized if nothing was done.  And by not doing anything and not “offending” them, it is just one step closer to banning the book or whatever item or idea they want banned.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 06 June 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 05 June 2012 09:56 PM

The FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION GO TO HELL sign is more then just a bit ironic coming as it does from people who need freedom of expression to be able to say that and get away with it.

Anybody here think those joyboys see the disconnect?

If you do, I’ve got a bridge I’d like to sell!

It fits perfectly with their mindset.  They believe that all expression, other than Islam, is evil and/or too dangerous for people to have.  It’s the exact same mindset and excuse that banners of all stripe use.  They will often use some variation of the phrase, “for the children.” 

There is really not much difference between the sign-holder above and Bloomberg’s desire to ban large sugary drinks.  Each one honestly thinks they are helping the poor, helpless person who can’t be trusted to live their life the way they should to be spiritually or physically healthy.  To quote Neil Peart, “Those who know what’s best for us must rise and save us from ourselves.”

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 06 June 2012 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

While we are at it; what do you think, would it be ok to put a small tax on such foods which are bad for your health, like those giant burgers with chicken-filets instead of buns?
Not to ban them but to discourage their consume a little, and to collect money for the treatment/research of diseases connected with obesity?

I think People should have the right to eat/drink/snort what food or drug they want, i would even allow Cocaine and so on, but i also think that we live in a bigger social complex and that we have to find a way to keep our freedom, and work together to solve our problems like cancer and other disease, and obesity is one of them.
If it would be some sort of Virus, people would cry out that the government isnt doing anything to save lives.

Posted: 06 June 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

Three words, fat, salt and sugar. They kick off our obsession with fast foods and are proveably addictive. The fast food industry was aware of this from the begining and lured us all to their stands with promises of a quick meal before heading back to work. Some of these burgers are loaded with over 100 fat grams and enough salt to fill an ocean and that’s why we crave it. Coke is fighting Bloomberg on every channel and it remains to be seen if he has the power to ban their giant tub o’ sugar drinks. This is a big profit business with plenty of clout and they sell a legal product. Can you imagine what would the final result of this well meaning but absurd proposal? Black market burgers? Citizens skulking around hiding big gulps under their trench coats while peddling snickers bars in dark hallways? Think 18th Amendment here. Couldn’t ban booze, can’t ban coke either! I don’t drink it but that doesn’t mean that you can’t. I’m behind freedom of choice here, and BTW, nobody’s addicted to bean sprouts.

Cap’t Jack

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/03/30/fast-food-is-like-heroin-studies-find/

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 June 2012 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

Black market burgers?

-The near furture-

Addict: “Quick give me a big mac and a big milk shake!”
Dealer:” Here you go, but man you look awful, maybe you should stop fast food for a while…”
Addict:“Who the hell asked you for your opinion, quick give me…
Dealer:“DAMN, a Police raid
—Short Shootout—
Police officer 1: “Don’t move, Hands were we can see em,... hey you what did you throw outside the window?”
Addict:“Nothing, I am here by accident, this is just a big misunderstanding!”
Police officer 1:” Don’t bullshit me, do you think i wouldn’t recognize a fast-food-addict, look at you, you can barley close your pants, or fit through a normal door, and you sweat if you have to walk for a minute.”
Police officer 2:“Look what i found outside, its a big mac and a milk shake, Colombian Beef,  worth between 200 - 300$ on the streets.
Police officer: “Okay Fatso, that will get you at least five years, damn, People like you make me sick.”
Addict:” Oh no, that cant be, I am innocent, I am innocent!”

Posted: 07 June 2012 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Innocent huh? Then what’s that tell- tell special sauce satin on your shirt collar?  Huh? You’re goin’ downtown fat boy and I don’t mean for burgers! Hey Bill, check out the cupis giganticus hidden under his chair! Disgusting! Another case for Slaw and Order, uh I mean ... well you know.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 June 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

Cupis giganticus?

Giant Barrel?

Posted: 07 June 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Nope. BIG GULP.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 June 2012 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

My Latin is very bad, but wouldn’t that be “Haustus magnus” ?

And why Latin?
Because of the Latin names of certain plants, mentioned during police raids?

(Damn! And again iam dissecting a Joke)

Posted: 08 June 2012 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

You’re putting waaay too much thought into this Alexander! It’s a joke man, nothing more.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

2 of 2