1 of 2
Weather forecast
Posted: 05 June 2012 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

The summer is almost here and with it come traveling, BBQ parties, and other fun stuff. I always get anxious when I try to plan things during the summer time and get all kinds of predictions from different weather forecasters. Do you have a preferred forecaster yourself? Is there one you consider more reliable than the rest?

Posted: 05 June 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15400
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 05 June 2012 08:25 AM

The summer is almost here and with it come traveling, BBQ parties, and other fun stuff. I always get anxious when I try to plan things during the summer time and get all kinds of predictions from different weather forecasters. Do you have a preferred forecaster yourself? Is there one you consider more reliable than the rest?

I usually use Weather.com; they’ve generally seemed more accurate to me than other places. Though when it comes to near-term events, I don’t think there’s much better than animating a good weather radar site and attempting a rough extrapolation visually.

Other good sites:

Weather Underground
Weather Spark

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 June 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I have never come across the Weather Spark. Cool site. Thanks.

Posted: 05 June 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Weather Underground also has an iPhone app (and I believe one for the Android as well).

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 June 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yeah, I already have a couple of those on my iPhone. Now I can go crazy 24/7.  cheese  I feel these days one spends more energy selecting the right information compared with the past when we spent most of our time trying to get whatever information we could find. In the end, though, things narrow down for me pretty quickly: I remember only a few years ago I used to follow more than a dozen of blogs and websites and I was always in search for new ones. Now I am down to six and I don’t really bother much anymore to look for additional sources.

Posted: 05 June 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

I use the Weather Channel and their desktop deal, which tells me everything I need to know, including any watches or warnings.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 05 June 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2218
Joined  2007-04-26

If you want to try something just a little quirky and fun for your iphone or laptop take a look at the Swackett app.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 05 June 2012 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

Well depending on the climate where you live, you can be an accurate forecaster by yourself.

As far as professional meteorologists go, my local news stations are quite good.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 June 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2218
Joined  2007-04-26
mid atlantic - 05 June 2012 04:18 PM

Well depending on the climate where you live, you can be an accurate forecaster by yourself.

As far as professional meteorologists go, my local news stations are quite good.

You may be right about local being better. When i was about 12 yrs old I made a home weather station including a barometer, hygrometer, thermometer and wind speed meter from household items using instructions from a library book. It took me a couple days to build it and I caught hell for using stuff my mom and dad weren’t finished with but it wasn’t half bad. I set it up in the yard and made my first forecast. My prediction…a snow storm was coming. The TV weatherman said it would just be cloudy and cold. This was the pre-satellite era but I figured the guy on TV knew a lot more than me and I probably needed a little more practice working with the equipment so left it in the yard overnight and went to bed. The next morning we woke up to 18 inches of snow and my fragile homemade equipment was destroyed by a small avalanche that fell from the roof. That was the end of my weather forecasting career, but how many weatherman have 100% accuracy rate.  LOL

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 06 June 2012 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I live near State College, Pa, the home of Accuweather.  I’ve known a few people who have worked there, (the owner is said to be a real S.O.B.).  They tell me that basically all the commercial forecasters do is take government data, dress it up, i. e. sensationalize it, add advertising and then take something they got for free and sell it.  Why not go right to the source, http://forecast.weather.gov/, you’re already paying for it and they don’t sensationalize the weather or subject you to commercials.  You can get very specific forecasts and weather warnings. 

A note, Joel Myers tried to get a bill passed that would restrict the government to only giving data to commercial outlets.  Citizens would have been forced to watch advertising to get access to information they already paid for with taxes.  Hurray for Capitalism… or, might that be corporate welfare?

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 26 June 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4849
Joined  2007-10-05

Jeciron, that is the reason I deleted Accuweather from my bookmarks and refuse to visit the site. I’d rather give Weather Underground $5/yr than visit Accuweather free.

Doug, I hadn’t seen WeatherSpark either. Cool site, but they state Georgetown, TX, rarely sees days hotter than 100 degrees F. Oh well, it is in beta release.  wink

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 26 June 2012 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 05 June 2012 12:20 PM

Yeah, I already have a couple of those on my iPhone. Now I can go crazy 24/7.  cheese  I feel these days one spends more energy selecting the right information compared with the past when we spent most of our time trying to get whatever information we could find. In the end, though, things narrow down for me pretty quickly: I remember only a few years ago I used to follow more than a dozen of blogs and websites and I was always in search for new ones. Now I am down to six and I don’t really bother much anymore to look for additional sources.

George, you would love living in an area (like mine) where the weather and temperature changes every few miles! The temperature at my house can be 10 degrees colder or warmer than at the store 3 blocks away. If you look at the Bay Area weather reports, they give the temperature for every city, and sometimes several for one city because of our micro-climates. And even then, it may not cover where you are! Right now, one weather app reports a temperature of 73F in my city,and another reads 67F while my thermometer (in a shaded area away from buildings as directed) reads 83F. I am sure that somewhere in my city the temps are 67F and 73F, just not where I live!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 June 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Current weather where I live. 108.2 degrees F.

[ Edited: 26 June 2012 01:55 PM by DarronS ]
Image Attachments
current weather.png
 Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 26 June 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

What is the humidity, Darron?

Posted: 26 June 2012 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

24 percent currently.

[ Edited: 26 June 2012 02:36 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24

108.2 with 27% humidity.

BOOYA!

Image Attachments
Wichita Weather.gif
 Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

1 of 2