1 of 2
Church pastors become atheists !
Posted: 10 June 2012 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

Texas pastor goes public “He’s Atheist” and he’s not alone.

Interesting piece on a Texas news station.  Rather dramatic way to come out atheist.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Church-pastors-become-atheists/-/...

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 10 June 2012 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4375
Joined  2007-08-31

Your link is somehow damaged. This should do it:
http://www.click2houston.com/news/Church-pastors-become-atheists/-/1735978/13654270/-/venr79/-/index.html

This is an interesting link mentioned in the article:
http://www.clergyproject.com/

CFI is linked in it!

[ Edited: 10 June 2012 04:54 AM by GdB ]
 Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 10 June 2012 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Write, went to that site and it said “page not found”. I’ll look for it elsewhere. Sounds interesting if implausible. A Baptist Texan publically announcing he is an atheist would IMO make him a pariah! If true then he does have some guts (wanted to use another body part but thought it inappropriate). Good for him. We need more of this.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 June 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Oops! Thanks Gdb. Lutheran not Baptist. And 200. That could start a movement as more closet atheist preachers see this it give them the impetus to do the same. Then congregation members could see their leaders in a new light and follow them. There is usually a strong bond between pastors and their flock. Who know where this might lead in the near future?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 11 June 2012 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2012-04-25

Well, this is news only to the extent we consider things very narrowly.  EVERYBODY is somebody elses atheist right?  From the standpoint of Hinduism, all Jews and Christians are atheists for example. And so…

Posted: 11 June 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
CuthbertJ - 11 June 2012 10:24 AM

Well, this is news only to the extent we consider things very narrowly.  EVERYBODY is somebody elses atheist right?  From the standpoint of Hinduism, all Jews and Christians are atheists for example. And so…

I don’t follow your logic, CuthbertJ. An atheist does not believe an any gods or spirits. Even religious people know and accept that. I never heard any Christian refer to Jews or Hindus as atheists. Even a Christian would not hurl that insult at another religious person.  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 June 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
FreeInKy - 11 June 2012 10:36 AM
CuthbertJ - 11 June 2012 10:24 AM

I don’t follow your logic, CuthbertJ. An atheist does not believe an any gods or spirits. Even religious people know and accept that. I never heard any Christian refer to Jews or Hindus as atheists. Even a Christian would not hurl that insult at another religious person.  LOL

Strictly speaking an atheist does not believe in a god. But OTOH, if a theist does not believe in the other’s god, that other person might as well be an atheist.
During a discussion I once asked, “do you believe that the Islamic god is the same god as the christian god. After all, if there is only one god, it must be the same god.
The answer was “no, allah is a different god than the christian god.”  Go figure.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 June 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Write4U - 11 June 2012 10:42 AM

Strictly speaking an atheist does not believe in a god. But OTOH, if a theist does not believe in the other’s god, that other person might as well be an atheist.
During a discussion I once asked, “do you believe that the Islamic god is the same god as the christian god. After all, if there is only one god, it must be the same god.
The answer was “no, allah is a different god than the christian god.”  Go figure.

But when a Christian says that, they aren’t really giving allah the status of god in the same way they do jehovah. They speak of “other gods” pejoratively, figuratively, as invented beings—not as true gods. But there is no way that position can or should be confused with atheism as long as they believe in at least one god.

I can’t speak for all religious people and not even all Christians but I did spend many decades deeply embroiled in fundamentalist evangelical Christianity. And I can tell you for certain that, even though they may think adherents of other religions are bound for hell, they still hold them in higher regard than they do the “godless atheists.” (Yes, it’s a redundant phrase but I grew up thinking that was the correct wording.) To them, Jews and Buddhists are misguided and to be pitied; but atheists are to be feared because they intentionally reject God and are therefore tools of Satan.  rolleyes

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 June 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

I’m not an Xian and I don’t see Ah-yah or the Xian deity as the same storybook character.  Of course, I see all gods as an invention of humans and only exist in their minds, including the Xian deity.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 11 June 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Mriana - 11 June 2012 12:06 PM

I’m not an Xian and I don’t see Ah-yah or the Xian deity as the same storybook character.  Of course, I see all gods as an invention of humans and only exist in their minds, including the Xian deity.

Exactly. That is the only true position of the atheist. To somehow equate atheism with rejecting some gods but not all is a travesty. IMHO.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 11 June 2012 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

I’d guess that most theists don’t see others, not of their faith, as ahteists.  Rather, they differentiate between atheists who don’t believe in any god and those of other faiths who just happen to worship the “wrong” god.  I’d also guess that they would rank atheists below those of other faiths.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 June 2012 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
Occam. - 11 June 2012 06:25 PM

I’d guess that most theists don’t see others, not of their faith, as ahteists.  Rather, they differentiate between atheists who don’t believe in any god and those of other faiths who just happen to worship the “wrong” god.  I’d also guess that they would rank atheists below those of other faiths.

Occam

That’s pretty much it.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 12 June 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Mriana - 11 June 2012 06:42 PM

Occam

That’s pretty much it.

Isn’t that what I said… twice? Y’all must be having trouble with my southern drawl…  wink

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 12 June 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2012-04-25

Occam

That hasn’t been my experience.  Most so called “theists” I’ve run into are regular people who wouldn’t even think of themselves as theists versus atheists.  And they certainly don’t think for example that the Muslims believe in “my” god but just have a funny name for her.  They literally think they believe in something that isn’t real and hence are what you and I’d call an atheist.  But that’s just been my experience.  My point originally wasn’t meant to be so precise, but simply that everybody is somebody’s atheist, atheist being someone who doesn’t believe my god exists.

Posted: 12 June 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting F-I:

Isn’t that what I said… twice? Y’all must be having trouble with my southern drawl…

Sorry, we old fuds have failing memories and I didn’t go back and read the earlier posts.  Should have done that.  red face

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 June 2012 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
CuthbertJ - 12 June 2012 10:26 AM

Most so called “theists” I’ve run into are regular people who wouldn’t even think of themselves as theists versus atheists.  And they certainly don’t think for example that the Muslims believe in “my” god but just have a funny name for her.  They literally think they believe in something that isn’t real and hence are what you and I’d call an atheist.

This is totally new to me. I mean, I know a lot of liberal Christians who deny most of the supernatural stuff in the bible, who don’t believe in a physical bodily resurrection of Jesus, etc. I even know some who think of god as more of a cosmic presence or force than a personal deity. But I have never met one who believed that god is totally imaginary. And I can’t think of any reason why such a person would continue to call themselves a theist—or even a deist.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

1 of 2