Conway’s ‘Game of Life’
Posted: 10 June 2012 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4573
Joined  2007-08-31

Since I’ve heard of Conway’s ‘Game of Life’ (now some 25 years ago) I was fascinated by it. The first version I had ran on my Amstrad CPC-128 (the 128 meaning 128kb memory, which was twice as much as the popular Commodore-64!). I typed in about one page of HEX-code (EF 3A 2C AA 86 ...) so that it ran optimised in machine code, and enjoyed the chaotic development of “Life’s” universe, when even based on a set of very simple rules:

The universe of the Game of Life is an infinite two-dimensional orthogonal grid of square cells, each of which is in one of two possible states, alive or dead. Every cell interacts with its eight neighbours, which are the cells that are horizontally, vertically, or diagonally adjacent. At each step in time, the following transitions occur:

Any live cell with fewer than two live neighbours dies, as if caused by under-population.
  Any live cell with two or three live neighbours lives on to the next generation.
  Any live cell with more than three live neighbours dies, as if by overcrowding.
  Any dead cell with exactly three live neighbours becomes a live cell, as if by reproduction.

(From Wikipedia)

Here an example from Wikipedia:
Gospers_glider_gun.gif

With every new computer I had, there once would come the day that I would look what the best implementation of the Game of Life was that would run at my faster computer with more memory than the previous.

Now that I am reading Dennett’s “Freedom Evolves”, which has one chapter dealing with the Game of Life, I thought that I could look it up again, seeing what the state of the art is nowadays. My start was Youtube (sometimes you find movies made with supercomputers), and I found a few fascinating videos:

Amazing Game of Life Demo
epic conway’s game of life
Droste effect in Conway’s Life

For those who don’t know what the Droste effect is…

Now the fun of it: these example are all from a program that can run on your own computer. Not only the hardware has become faster, but also there has been a lot of improvement in algorithms to calculate generation after generation. This is the program: Golly. There are versions for Linux, Mac and even for Windows. Ubuntu users can take it from the Software Center. Golly comes with a lot of examples, you will find a lot of the constructs shown in the Youtube videos.

What makes ‘Life’ so interesting? Well, in the first place it is an absolute deterministic universe, but it shows chaotic behaviour. Secondly, there exists a mathematical proof that it is impossible to make absolute predictions in this universe, except than having a faster computer that runs from exactly the same initial conditions. (Of course you can make higher level predictions, but they will only work in constellations you already know exactly, and the only way to know them exactly is to already have them calculated once.) Thirdly, it was proven that it is possible to implement a universal Turing machine in Life’s Universe. So make the biggest jump here: as a universal Turing machine can simulate everything that is deterministic, in theory it would be possible to implement a simulation of billions of nerve cells. So Life’s universe would allow to create consciousness. (In my opinion the third video gives you some feeling for this possibility. It shows how you can simulate “Conway’s Game of Life” within “Conway’s Game of Life”)

Enjoy the video’s, if you want, install the program and play with it. Let me know your thoughts, reflections and speculations! It really is fascinating stuff!

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 10 June 2012 04:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Yeah, the Game of Life is neat. Thanks, GdB.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 June 2012 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-08-31
dougsmith - 10 June 2012 04:33 AM

Yeah, the Game of Life is neat. Thanks, GdB.

It’s not neat. It is fascinating! zipper

Signature 

GdB

Posted: 11 June 2012 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I remember first reading about this in Omni magazine, back in the 70’s, and becoming fascinated by it. I first did manual simulations on a checkerboard (very slow!), then on 4 checkerboards, and later played around with BASIC programs on a TI-994A. I hadn’t thought about it in years. I’m going to check out the videos and maybe the app. Very interesting, especially the implications you mentioned. Thanks for the info!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 June 2012 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Those videos are mind blowing! I think for the first time in my life I have a glimmer of how complexity can arise from almost nothing. Very inspiring!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 June 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

If anyone has an Android phone, check out this live wallpaper app I developed (or just watch the video): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.aiinventions.pixelfire&hl=en

It uses the game of life algorithm to create fire smile

Gonna watch those videos now…

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 11 June 2012 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-08-31
FreeInKy - 11 June 2012 06:54 AM

Those videos are mind blowing! I think for the first time in my life I have a glimmer of how complexity can arise from almost nothing. Very inspiring!

OK, I stand corrected: the videos are not fascinating. They are mind blowing!

Doug, did you see them already? They are only a few minutes…

Signature 

GdB

Posted: 12 June 2012 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
GdB - 11 June 2012 09:54 PM

Doug, did you see them already? They are only a few minutes…

Not yet. When I was at university many years ago I played quite a lot with the Game of Life. I think I or one of my roommates even had it in software.

John Conway is a very interesting mathematician, BTW. An old friend of mine was one of his advisees.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

‹‹ Oldie but a Goodie      Brontosaurus ride ››