1 of 3
Simulation Argument ?
Posted: 15 June 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

What do you think about that video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=_ucqYJzK1rk

What could be said about that argument on observation and quantum physics?

Posted: 15 June 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4616
Joined  2007-10-05

Just because something can be true does not mean it is true. Until someone provides compelling evidence we are living in a computer simulation I will ignore such sensationalist speculation.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 15 June 2012 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2585
Joined  2011-04-24

Yeah, the idea that our existence is just a simulation built by some other life form has been around for a while.

It’s a cool concept, but it’s just sci - fi at this point.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 June 2012 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Shoot—I remember having a conversation about this recently. For all the claim that it’s a new argument, I think it’s basically the Cartesian Demon al over again.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 June 2012 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9281
Joined  2006-08-29

I have thought about it before and I see two problems here: 1.) It may explain “a” crator but it certainly doesn’t explain “the” Creator, since those aliens (and their laws of physics) playing the game would have to come from somewhere as well. Back to square one. And 2.), if our universe is but a computer program, one should be able to play it backwards. What would that look like? I have no problem walking backwards, but what would happen to our consciousness? What would consciousness in reverse feel like?

Posted: 15 June 2012 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

And don’t forget the underlying assumption: the computer never suffers a hardware failure and the programmers made no mistakes.

Also, the processing power to simulate the universe requires a computer with more storage capacity than the matter in our universe.

This is idle speculation dressed up as scientific hypothesis.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 16 June 2012 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
DarronS - 15 June 2012 08:17 PM

And don’t forget the underlying assumption: the computer never suffers a hardware failure and the programmers made no mistakes.

Also, the processing power to simulate the universe requires a computer with more storage capacity than the matter in our universe.

Agreed, but IIRC it’s a bit more complex; the simulators might for all we know live in a completely different universe from ours, with different laws of nature, etc.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 16 June 2012 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
George - 15 June 2012 08:10 PM

I have thought about it before and I see two problems here: 1.) It may explain “a” crator but it certainly doesn’t explain “the” Creator, since those aliens (and their laws of physics) playing the game would have to come from somewhere as well. Back to square one. And 2.), if our universe is but a computer program, one should be able to play it backwards. What would that look like? I have no problem walking backwards, but what would happen to our consciousness? What would consciousness in reverse feel like?

Another thing is, what sort of a “creator” is the deity if s/he forces the creation to live like rats in a maze?  Would someone please let the rat out of the Skinner Box?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 June 2012 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
dougsmith - 16 June 2012 04:47 AM

Agreed, but IIRC it’s a bit more complex; the simulators might for all we know live in a completely different universe from ours, with different laws of nature, etc.

Fortuitously, The Onion is all over it.

Physicists Discover Our Universe is Setting of Cop Show Called ‘Hard Case’

PALO ALTO, CA—A report released Tuesday by physicists at Stanford University has revealed that the entire known universe—including the whole of human civilization and the totality of all existing matter and energy—is actually the fictional setting of a police-procedural television series called Hard Case.

Scientists studying the properties of light from exploding supernovae confirmed their research has conclusively demonstrated that existence as we know it was created solely to provide the framework for a prime-time drama that airs in a parallel universe and is centered around a brash New York City police detective named Rick Case, his partner Michelle Crowley, and the other members of Hard Case’s fictitious Homicide Division.

This makes more sense than the crap Brian Greene and Michio Kaku promote.

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
DarronS - 16 June 2012 06:56 AM
dougsmith - 16 June 2012 04:47 AM

Fortuitously, The Onion is all over it.

smile The Onion: #1 in news.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 17 June 2012 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Something i wonder about, mainly that the guy supporting the SA did not think about it, is that if we are the focus of the sim, why is there nothing there to prevent us from finding out about it?
In such a case i simply would write a piece of code which eliminates the knowledge or the person asking the question grin, and if we are not the focus, why bothering with giving us consciousness at all, if the focus is the “life” of suns and galaxies, a complex but emotionless class or some sort of array would do the same, right?

(Not so off-topic):
Another thing, such models and religion itself seem some how to serve our way of thinking, or pattern recognition very well.
We see a face but there are only two dots and a curve, we see the work of god, but its only a hurricane…

Iam interested to find out if the imaginary friends (at least a part of that aspect) children have, could be traced back to some sort of misinterpretation in the childs direct surrounding/life, like if something happens they will attribute it to some sort of intelligence acting in the hidden.

Posted: 18 June 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

And 2.), if our universe is but a computer program, one should be able to play it backwards. What would that look like? I have no problem walking backwards, but what would happen to our consciousness? What would consciousness in reverse feel like?

Given the physical model of consciousness, you would not experience consciousness in reverse since that would require normal functioning of consciousness (i.e. running forwards). You would just be un-experiencing things. You wouldn’t feel anything or even notice anything happened. You would just be reverted to an earlier state

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 18 June 2012 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-05-10

You don’t know that smile. There could have been hardware failures and resets. We, of course, wouldn’t notice it since our universe is not running while the hardware failure is occurring and thus we couldn’t be conscious of it.

The “superverse” could be much much bigger than our universe.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 18 June 2012 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-05-10
Alexander80 - 17 June 2012 03:02 AM

Something i wonder about, mainly that the guy supporting the SA did not think about it, is that if we are the focus of the sim, why is there nothing there to prevent us from finding out about it?

Well, there are those who theorize that it is impossible to find out the most fundamental physical laws of the universe. That could be considered something that is preventing us from finding out we are in a simulation.

In such a case i simply would write a piece of code which eliminates the knowledge or the person asking the question grin,

No need!

and if we are not the focus, why bothering with giving us consciousness at all, if the focus is the “life” of suns and galaxies, a complex but emotionless class or some sort of array would do the same, right?

The amount of computation would be the same. After all, our consciousness boils down to physics doing its thing.

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
domokato - 18 June 2012 05:38 PM

You don’t know that smile. There could have been hardware failures and resets. We, of course, wouldn’t notice it since our universe is not running while the hardware failure is occurring and thus we couldn’t be conscious of it.

The “superverse” could be much much bigger than our universe.

Yeah, and the mice might be controlling our experiments to find the ultimate question about life, the universe and everything. grin

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2012 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  9281
Joined  2006-08-29
domokato - 18 June 2012 05:35 PM

And 2.), if our universe is but a computer program, one should be able to play it backwards. What would that look like? I have no problem walking backwards, but what would happen to our consciousness? What would consciousness in reverse feel like?

Given the physical model of consciousness, you would not experience consciousness in reverse since that would require normal functioning of consciousness (i.e. running forwards). You would just be un-experiencing things. You wouldn’t feel anything or even notice anything happened. You would just be reverted to an earlier state

If I am aware of being hungry at time X when the program runs in one direction I don’t see why I wouldn’t be aware of the same feeling at the same time X when it runs in the opposite direction.

1 of 3

‹‹ Conservation of Energy ?      Transhumanism? ››