2 of 3
Simulation Argument ?
Posted: 19 June 2012 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I have heard speculation that some of the “weirdness” of quantum effects is evidence of the simulation in that they are quirks in the system because at that scale we are stretching the limits of the program. Also I think I read somewhere that space-time turns out to be not analog but “pixelated” at the tiniest of scales. Could that be further evidence?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 19 June 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24

In the latest Little Atoms Road Trip interview, Neil Denny interviews Sean Carroll from Caltech.  It’s mostly about dark matter and dark energy, but part of it is about multiverses and the directionality of time.
http://www.littleatoms.com/sounds/LART_07_Sean_Carroll.mp3

Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Posted: 19 June 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23
FreeInKy - 19 June 2012 05:21 AM

I have heard speculation that some of the “weirdness” of quantum effects is evidence of the simulation in that they are quirks in the system because at that scale we are stretching the limits of the program. Also I think I read somewhere that space-time turns out to be not analog but “pixelated” at the tiniest of scales. Could that be further evidence?

Wouldnt the macroscopic world inherit the traits of the microscopic world?
I mean, if it would run on high resolution if someone is looking, and in low res if no one is looking, then the macroscopic world would behave like the microscopic if no one is looking (to save computing power) and we would have different outcomes for the same situation, like with more viewers in the macroscopic world.

Posted: 19 June 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
George - 18 June 2012 08:07 PM
domokato - 18 June 2012 05:35 PM
George - 15 June 2012 08:10 PM

And 2.), if our universe is but a computer program, one should be able to play it backwards. What would that look like? I have no problem walking backwards, but what would happen to our consciousness? What would consciousness in reverse feel like?

Given the physical model of consciousness, you would not experience consciousness in reverse since that would require normal functioning of consciousness (i.e. running forwards). You would just be un-experiencing things. You wouldn’t feel anything or even notice anything happened. You would just be reverted to an earlier state

If I am aware of being hungry at time X when the program runs in one direction I don’t see why I wouldn’t be aware of the same feeling at the same time X when it runs in the opposite direction.

Because your nerve impulses are running backwards too. Information is travelling away from your awareness and memory.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 19 June 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

So what? I would feel more and more hungry as I would go “vomiting” food. Eventually, I would get to a point when I feel very hungry and then progress to feeling less hungry with my awareness of that feeling decreasing. No idea what that would feel like, but if we are a computer game it would have to work just like that when run in reverse.

Posted: 19 June 2012 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
George - 19 June 2012 10:42 AM

So what? I would feel more and more hungry as I would go “vomiting” food. Eventually, I would get to a point when I feel very hungry and then progress to feeling less hungry with my awareness of that feeling decreasing.

I guess so. The point I was trying to make was that you wouldn’t really be “aware” of any of this in any meaningful sense of the word. After the rewind process is complete, you will not know it happened. Your feeling of hunger may be decreasing, but it is happening at the same time as your memory of it is being wiped. And you couldn’t really be “feeling” anything if your brain is running in reverse. Conscious awareness is created by a brain running normally forward.

No idea what that would feel like, but if we are a computer game it would have to work just like that when run in reverse.

AI characters in a game revert to their previous state when you load a saved game. It would be like that. You, as a player, would experience this happening, since you have your own consciousness that is operating normally, but the AI character would have no idea anything happened.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 03 July 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

Sounds damn frightening, then at last that idea of a jealous, greedy and wrathful god could be fact, maybe some ugly teenager with a god-complex… outright frightening.

Posted: 03 July 2012 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  4848
Joined  2007-10-05
Alexander80 - 03 July 2012 01:32 PM

Sounds damn frightening, then at last that idea of a jealous, greedy and wrathful god could be fact, maybe some ugly teenager with a god-complex… outright frightening.

Well, the god of the Old Testament does have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 03 July 2012 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02
DarronS - 03 July 2012 02:11 PM
Alexander80 - 03 July 2012 01:32 PM

Well, the god of the Old Testament does have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.

And his name was Jealous.  The OT even states that.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 11 October 2012 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

Just found that here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2216189/Do-live-Matrix-researchers-say-way-prove-do.html#comments

What do you think?

Posted: 12 October 2012 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

Wow man….like what if our whole like Universe is just a molecule in the like the finger nail of like a giant .....wow man…...stop drinking the bong water dudes…..

Posted: 12 October 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  789
Joined  2012-04-25
sine dues - 12 October 2012 05:53 AM

Wow man….like what if our whole like Universe is just a molecule in the like the finger nail of like a giant .....wow man…...stop drinking the bong water dudes…..

Like what if we could fly up in the air like birds!...wow Wilbur, stop shooting coke.

Like wow man, what if we could drive cars on the moon…wow dude you’re high.

My point: if you don’t like using your imagination and dreaming silly dreams, go join the accountants forum or something. The OP’s post is thought provoking and fun to think about.

Posted: 12 October 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

Sorry Cuthburt…didn’t intend to offend !
It was a joke!
Remember in the movie Animal House when they are….oh never mind.
I too like to dream
Just having fun…..sometimes too much I fear.

Posted: 12 October 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

My point: if you don’t like using your imagination and dreaming silly dreams, go join the accountants forum or something. The OP’s post is thought provoking and fun to think about.

Not Dreams, but Nightmares. grin

Posted: 12 October 2012 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  2216
Joined  2007-04-26

This thread has drifted from its original topic but to bring it back to its roots for a moment, I thought this article was interesting.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-10/how-do-we-know-were-not-living-inside-massive-computer-simulation

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

2 of 3

‹‹ Conservation of Energy ?      Transhumanism? ››