What’s really behind Global Climate Change denial
Posted: 24 November 2012 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

Neither have I and that’s why I posted the link.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 November 2012 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  4298
Joined  2010-08-15

It isn’t that difficult to understand the basic science behind global warming, nor to get a grasp of the various components of our global heat distribution engine, it only takes some honest curiosity and effort and time.  {Incidentally, Uncertainty does not equal not knowing.}

Now you’ve tossed out this common meme and I’ve challenged you to explain why you feel confident making such a statement. 
If you can’t do that, can you at least admit that you can’t?
And if you can admit that… would you be interested in learning why increasing Antarctic ice doesn’t counter anything about the Anthropogenic Global Warming consensus?

citizenschallenge.pm - 24 November 2012 08:35 AM
sine dues - 22 November 2012 11:01 AM

it is a diversion if you ignore that the antarctic is accumulating ice

I wonder if you can explain the dynamics causing the accumulation of ice in parts of Antarctica?

I ask this because the next question is - Why do you think accumulating ice in parts of Antarctica undercuts the validity of the scientific consensus regarding global warming? 
{...and you can’t answer that without some conception of the dynamics at work}

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 24 November 2012 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05
Mriana - 24 November 2012 03:48 PM

Neither have I and that’s why I posted the link.  LOL

Thanks for that. I’ve saved that article to my computer. With all SD’s denial going on in different threads I forgot where I found that. Good one.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 24 November 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

And your argument about CO2 vs. H20 vapor as green house gasses is fallacious.  With the majority of our planet’s surface ocean, we always have a huge amount of water in the atmosphere.  However, while there was an equilibrium amount of CO2 in the atmosphere for many centuries, when we began retrieving large amounts of carbon and carbon compounds from where they had been sequestered and burning them, we shifted the CO2 equalibrium severely.

By the way, I’m a chemist, and I didn’t flunk out part way through, so don’t throw that wimpy, “are you as scientist?” crap around.  Yes, I am a scientist and have been a damned good chemist. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 24 November 2012 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Occam. - 24 November 2012 07:56 PM

By the way, I’m a chemist, and I didn’t flunk out part way through, so don’t throw that wimpy, “are you as scientist?” crap around.  Yes, I am a scientist and have been a damned good chemist. 

Occam

Good point. Admitting flunking English and Calculus doesn’t do much for one’s credibility, especially on this forum. If SD wants to flaunt credentials I could mention that I just got accepted into Alpha Chi, the National College Honor Society, but I don’t want to brag.

Oops. cool smile

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 25 November 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 24 November 2012 08:17 PM

Occam

Good point. Admitting flunking English and Calculus doesn’t do much for one’s credibility, especially on this forum. If SD wants to flaunt credentials I could mention that I just got accepted into Alpha Chi, the National College Honor Society, but I don’t want to brag.

Oops. cool smile

I’m just a prole, but I have sense enough to listen to Climatologists, Chemists and Physicists when it comes to explaining these things, I believe in using my resources.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 November 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah, but your job gives you the opportunity and need to learn a great deal of biological science, even if there wasn’t as much formal exposure, Asanta.  You certainly demonstrate a high degree of understanding of science and reason.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  2416
Joined  2007-07-05

And your argument about CO2 vs. H20 vapor as green house gasses is fallacious.

Funny how that CO2 does not precipitate out of the atmosphere.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 25 November 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Unfortunately, some of it does by dissolving in rain, falling into the ocean and lowering the pH (making the ocean more acidic) which means algae can’t grow as well so they can’t contribute as much to generating oxygen.  The small amount of CO2 was fine, but the large increase is damaging the environment of the seas.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
Occam. - 25 November 2012 11:59 AM

Unfortunately, some of it does by dissolving in rain, falling into the ocean and lowering the pH (making the ocean more acidic) which means algae can’t grow as well so they can’t contribute as much to generating oxygen.  The small amount of CO2 was fine, but the large increase is damaging the environment of the seas.

Occam

Does that actually qualify as CO2 precipitating out or is it getting simply caught in H2O precipitating out. 

Is there a name for the difference?

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 25 November 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  6139
Joined  2006-12-20
TimB - 24 November 2012 03:16 PM

Wow, I have never seen someone get so definitively crushed by a pie chart before.

LOL

Posted: 25 November 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
StephenLawrence - 25 November 2012 12:16 PM
TimB - 24 November 2012 03:16 PM

Wow, I have never seen someone get so definitively crushed by a pie chart before.

LOL

It’s a Black Hole pie chart.  LOL

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 25 November 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  6139
Joined  2006-12-20

I’ve made a pie chart and have tried dropping it on my head from various heights but I did not get crushed. I’ve posted a video of the experiments on youtube. This along with the fact that nobody has made a model replicating crushing by pie chart proves it is physically impossible.

Stephen

Posted: 25 November 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
StephenLawrence - 25 November 2012 02:17 PM

I’ve made a pie chart and have tried dropping it on my head from various heights but I did not get crushed. I’ve posted a video of the experiments on youtube. This along with the fact that nobody has made a model replicating crushing by pie chart proves it is physically impossible.

Stephen

No, Stephen! Don’t go there!  snake

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2012 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

A song for our times

Global warming is funny
It makes a cloudy day sunny
Makes a bee think of honey
What to do, what to do?

Global warming is crazy
Your whole perspective gets hazy