2 of 3
Transhumanism?
Posted: 23 June 2012 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

1)I disagree, the republican party doesnt mainly consist of old people, there are young republicans too, and to be honest i have met a lot of narrow minded people of young age too, and a lot of old people which were able to change behavior and ideas more quickly, also conservative or old views people are used to may give certain groups security, and especially old people may appeal to that, if life expectancy climbs to 1000 people may get more interessted in experiments.

2) That change could occur very quickly and may be done by countless nano-machines in our bloodstream which could prevent us from getting sick, repair us on a cellurlar level, heal deep wounds and bone fractures within days and even keep us alive in hostile conditions for some time.
(This may sound overexcited as well but it would only need a single drexlarian nanoassembler to be built and the world would change forever, not only in the field of medicine, cause one would be able to build another and then their number would grow exponentially with every new unit)

Posted: 23 June 2012 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

1) At 81 I’ve been able to observe first hand, changes in society for a while.  McGyver is correct.  It isn’t so much that people change, rather they and their views, eg, Afrrican-American, women, gay, etc., die off and are replaced by the views of the younger people.  However, most views are formed by advertising.  I’m including TV shows and movies as advertising.  As young people saw the disadvantaged groups given greater respect in those kinds of advertising they accepted the ideas.  The old people already had their minds set.  Unfortunately, most of the socio/political advertising lately has been toward self-interest and conservatism, and many young people are buying it.

2) While the technology to delay death is progressing fairly rapidly, the means will be offered by for-profit companies, and people will be willing to pay a great deal for such treatments.  That means, only the wealthy will be able to afford longer lives.  This will allow them and their families to accumulate even more wealth and power so they’ll assure that the technology will not be available to the public in general. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 June 2012 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05
Occam. - 23 June 2012 10:07 AM

1) At 81 I’ve been able to observe first hand, changes in society for a while.  McGyver is correct.  It isn’t so much that people change, rather they and their views, eg, Afrrican-American, women, gay, etc., die off and are replaced by the views of the younger people.  However, most views are formed by advertising.  I’m including TV shows and movies as advertising.  As young people saw the disadvantaged groups given greater respect in those kinds of advertising they accepted the ideas.  The old people already had their minds set.  Unfortunately, most of the socio/political advertising lately has been toward self-interest and conservatism, and many young people are buying it.

2) While the technology to delay death is progressing fairly rapidly, the means will be offered by for-profit companies, and people will be willing to pay a great deal for such treatments.  That means, only the wealthy will be able to afford longer lives.  This will allow them and their families to accumulate even more wealth and power so they’ll assure that the technology will not be available to the public in general. 

Occam

We exist to be brainwashed by the people who will brainwash us to serve their interests.

So why aren’t we using the Internet to battle that mind control?

Not to sound like a broken record but sci-fi that is really worth reading contains many anti-authoritarian ideas.  But it is like SF itself has become corrupted in the last 20 years.  Most stuff “called” sci-fi these days is intellectually watered down crap.

This addresses what you are talking about.

Hell’s Pavement by Damon Knight
http://vintage45.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/hells-pavement-analogue-man-damon-knight-1955/

The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/spacemerchants.htm

psik

[ Edited: 24 June 2012 07:52 AM by psikeyhackr ]
 Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 23 June 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Boy, psik, you nailed it!!! 

Most stuff “called” sci-fi these days is intellectually watered down crap.

That’s why I had given up reading S-F. 

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

@Occam
to 2)
Yes that works always that way the first time something new is introduced, some things cost more money in their early stage, but these things wont be only for wealthy people, that would be how it would work in an absolute monarchy back in the ancient world.
But look at TVs, computers, cell phones, microwave ovens etc. these things have been very expensive, and now even those considered “poor” have them.

Like I said, if only one nano-machine is built, then the work is mainly done, yes, the first unit will cost a lot, but the prices will fall, cause you make more profit while selling a product for a moderate price to everyone than by selling it for a high price to an exclusive minority.
If such radical changes happen it also wont be that easy to contain the knowledge nor to even keep the whole research a secret.

Posted: 23 June 2012 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2229
Joined  2007-04-26
Alexander80 - 23 June 2012 07:46 AM

1)I disagree, the republican party doesnt mainly consist of old people, there are young republicans too, and to be honest i have met a lot of narrow minded people of young age too, and a lot of old people which were able to change behavior and ideas more quickly, also conservative or old views people are used to may give certain groups security, and especially old people may appeal to that, if life expectancy climbs to 1000 people may get more interessted in experiments.

I never said the republican party was mostly old people. I said old people are more likely to be republicans. Those are two very different statements. There is also a difference between being narrow minded and being unwilling to accept new ideas, but you are right that young people can be both. That doesn’t disprove my assertion that old people are in general less willing to accept new ideas than young people.

Alexander80 - 23 June 2012 07:46 AM

2) That change could occur very quickly and may be done by countless nano-machines in our bloodstream which could prevent us from getting sick, repair us on a cellurlar level, heal deep wounds and bone fractures within days and even keep us alive in hostile conditions for some time.
(This may sound overexcited as well but it would only need a single drexlarian nanoassembler to be built and the world would change forever, not only in the field of medicine, cause one would be able to build another and then their number would grow exponentially with every new unit)

You are proposing an absolute best case scenario and at the same time the least likely way for things to develop. This sort of nanotechnology is still a pipe dream with no practical application in the immedaite or even near future. It’s far more likely that extensions to life span will continue to play out the way they have so far. Even if your projection came true there is no reason to believe that this tech would solve the dozens of problems related to the aging process since there are most likely multiple mechanisms involved.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 24 June 2012 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
Alexander80 - 23 June 2012 02:47 PM

Like I said, if only one nano-machine is built, then the work is mainly done, yes, the first unit will cost a lot, but the prices will fall, cause you make more profit while selling a product for a moderate price to everyone than by selling it for a high price to an exclusive minority.

Building things atom by atom sounds so cool but when considering how many atoms there are in anything of significant size then that sounds very time consuming like it would take a day less than forever.

Assembly lines gave us replicator technology but we have chosen to play psychological games with consumerism.  Like how may different makes and models of smartphones are there?  How many people even understand the specifications on the smartphones?  And then it can take weeks of experimenting with the devices to find there were things they didn’t tell you.

It seems the people with the most power and control do not want to implement technology in a way that eliminates the class structure.  These computers could be used to equalize education but that would screw up the economics interests of teachers and educational institutions.  We could have created a National Recommended Reading List long before we had cheap computers.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 24 June 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

I never said the republican party was mostly old people. I said old people are more likely to be republicans. Those are two very different statements.

Sorry, didnt want to imply that, just got it wrong.

You are proposing an absolute best case scenario and at the same time the least likely way for things to develop. This sort of nanotechnology is still a pipe dream with no practical application in the immedaite or even near future. It’s far more likely that extensions to life span will continue to play out the way

It has many practical applications from medicine,  semiconductors production to super light materials.

they have so far. Even if your projection came true there is no reason to believe that this tech would solve the dozens of problems related to the aging process since there are most likely multiple mechanisms involved.

Maybe, but if you can permanently repair and enhance things you dont really have to worry about the reason for the decay itself if it doesnt disable your repair efforts .

Maybe that iam a little bit too optimistic, but i talk to people who work with these things, and they are optimistic too, also i think it will be of benefit to do everything to live longer and healthier.

Posted: 24 June 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

It seems the people with the most power and control do not want to implement technology in a way that eliminates the class structure.  These computers could be used to equalize education but that would screw up the economics interests of teachers and educational institutions.  We could have created a National Recommended Reading List long before we had cheap computers.

For Schools?
Why not push that through legislation?
Lets start a movement for education!

Posted: 25 June 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
psikeyhackr - 24 June 2012 07:39 AM

Assembly lines gave us replicator technology but we have chosen to play psychological games with consumerism.  Like how may different makes and models of smartphones are there?  How many people even understand the specifications on the smartphones?  And then it can take weeks of experimenting with the devices to find there were things they didn’t tell you.

It seems the people with the most power and control do not want to implement technology in a way that eliminates the class structure.

Do you really think a Korean hardware manufacturer like Samsung gives a crap about US class structure?

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 25 June 2012 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
domokato - 25 June 2012 06:29 PM

Do you really think a Korean hardware manufacturer like Samsung gives a crap about US class structure?

Of course they give a crap.  It matters to selecting price points and designing marketing strategies.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 11 September 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-11

I don’t understand why people are fascinated in the idea of prolonging their lives. It would get boring if you are alive for a long time. You’ll definitely get tired of it. I think 70 years is long enough.

Posted: 11 September 2012 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  2229
Joined  2007-04-26
boey_heels - 11 September 2012 11:47 AM

I don’t understand why people are fascinated in the idea of prolonging their lives. It would get boring if you are alive for a long time. You’ll definitely get tired of it. I think 70 years is long enough.

That is actually a sentiment i here from a lot of elderly patients although certainly not from all of them. It seems that for some the novelty of life wears off after a while. They have no new interests to develop, the music they loved is now considered old fashioned as are the movies and dances that have a special meaning to them. Part of their loss of interest also stems from the loss of friends and family. Imagine what it would be like if everyone in the world right now suddenly disappeared and every friend, acquaintance, family member, and even the celebrities you had come to know were replaced by strangers you had never heard of and had very little in common with. For a lot of older people it becomes a bit like that. Of course if we all lived longer then our friends and family would too so that would be less of an issue.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 11 September 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2010-06-16
boey_heels - 11 September 2012 11:47 AM

I had never set a time, but now that I’m turning 82 in two weeks, I’m enjoying myself enough (including being a wise ass) that I could easily go for about another ten years.  So, I think it depends on the person, but 70 is probably a bit young.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2012 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

Significantly prolonging human life will be possible once we fully understanding how aging is encoded in the human genome. There are already genetically modified animals which greatly exceed their natural life expectancy. Transhumanism is also about merging humans with technology. Pacemakers and brain chips already exist and we have to deal with the question how far we want to take this.

2 of 3

‹‹ Simulation Argument ?      Happy Birthday ››