1 of 3
eating babies?
Posted: 21 June 2012 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

I can’t remember where I read about this, but did the bible ever mention anything about people eating babies?

Posted: 21 June 2012 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4360
Joined  2010-08-15
skuld - 21 June 2012 09:47 PM

I can’t remember where I read about this, but did the bible ever mention anything about people eating babies?

I don’t actually know that much about the Bible, but wasn’t it more a matter of people thinking those crazy Xians with their secret rituals turning bread and wine into flesh and blood.  Jeez, how are they going to do that???  Heck, they must be turning babies into flesh and blood, how else could that ritual possible work otherwise, since everyone knows you can’t turn wine to blood or bread to flesh. . .

Pretty weird stuff, . . . now I don’t know, . . . but I’m just say’n keep your’n kids away from crucification worshiping people if you know what good for them

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 22 June 2012 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
skuld - 21 June 2012 09:47 PM

I don’t think so. But there is mention of babies being sacrificed to God:

Because they were wicked enough to ignore the part in his commandment for human sacrifice that allowed them to substitute an animal for the baby, God lets them go ahead and sacrifice their babies to him so they would be horrified and know he is Lord.

(Ezek 20:26 NRSV) I defiled them through their very gifts, in their offering up all their firstborn, in order that I might horrify them, so that they might know that I am the LORD.

(From Capella’s Guide to Atheism, http://www.goatstar.org/atrocities-committed-or-commanded-by-god/ )

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 22 June 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters.

its from Leviticus 26 onward

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+26&version=NIV

Posted: 22 June 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Alexander80 - 22 June 2012 08:31 AM

Holy crap!  big surprise

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 22 June 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

You guys dont read the bible grin
You should do it with more zeal grin

Read that here:
http://bible.cc/1_samuel/18-27.htm

You could use that book to make horror movies… or did that already happen?

Posted: 22 June 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
FreeInKy - 22 June 2012 09:48 AM
Alexander80 - 22 June 2012 08:31 AM

Holy crap!  big surprise

Holy crap!  big surprise big surprise is right

Punishment for Disobedience

14 “‘But if you will not listen to me and carry out all these commands, 15 and if you reject my decrees and abhor my laws and fail to carry out all my commands and so violate my covenant, 16 then I will do this to you: I will bring on you sudden terror, wasting diseases and fever that will destroy your sight and sap your strength. You will plant seed in vain, because your enemies will eat it. 17 I will set my face against you so that you will be defeated by your enemies; those who hate you will rule over you, and you will flee even when no one is pursuing you.

Nice guy that god.

Signature 

Posted: 22 June 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Alexander80 - 22 June 2012 10:31 AM

You guys dont read the bible grin
You should do it with more zeal grin

Read that here:
http://bible.cc/1_samuel/18-27.htm

You could use that book to make horror movies… or did that already happen?

shock
Oh that’s just great,
then when they get done with all the blood’n guts,
I hear there’s some sexy, sexy, i mean, juicy nasty, nasty in there too.

Yea, good advice Alexander
I’ll continue not reading it with steadfast zeal
  cheese

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

God says eat shit (well, not exactly, but he does encourage you to cook with it!)

Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentiles, and millet, and fitches, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof, according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon thy side, three hundred and ninety days shalt thou eat thereof. And thy meat which thou shalt eat shall be by weight, twenty shekels a day: from time to time shalt thou eat it. Thou shalt drink also water by measure, the sixth part of an hin: from time to time shalt thou drink. And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight. And the LORD said, Even thus shall the children of Israel eat their defiled bread among the Gentiles, whither I will drive them. (Ezekiel 4:9-13 KJV)

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 28 June 2012 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3205
Joined  2011-11-04
FreeInKy - 25 June 2012 07:36 AM

God says eat shit (well, not exactly, but he does encourage you to cook with it!)

Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentiles, and millet, and fitches, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof, according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon thy side, three hundred and ninety days shalt thou eat thereof. And thy meat which thou shalt eat shall be by weight, twenty shekels a day: from time to time shalt thou eat it. Thou shalt drink also water by measure, the sixth part of an hin: from time to time shalt thou drink. And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight. And the LORD said, Even thus shall the children of Israel eat their defiled bread among the Gentiles, whither I will drive them. (Ezekiel 4:9-13 KJV)

It is fascinating to think that people have, at some point in history, dried their own crap to use as cooking fuel.  It is even stranger to think that this could have made it into a law, as I would think, there would be negative health consequences.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 28 June 2012 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3216
Joined  2011-08-15

It is fascinating to think that people have, at some point in history, dried their own crap to use as cooking fuel.  It is even stranger to think that this could have made it into a law, as I would think, there would be negative health consequences.

Nothing unusual about cooking wih crap (hmm a new Martha Stewart cookbook theme) the Plains Indians and pioneer settlers used dried buffalo dung in lieu of wood. You’re a hell of a lot more learned in the bible texts than me Free, so my question is why did the big g want the Hebrews to cook with human dung? Was this some form of punishment, or just a cooking tip?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 June 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, being dirty did pay off for the Europeans. According to Gregory Clark in his “A Farewell to Alms,” the reason why the poor died out in Europe was due to their dire hygiene situation. (And as I already mentioned about a million times on this forum, the poor where replaced by the rich who were also more productive, smarter and less violent. This later culminated in what now call the Industrial Revolution.)

In Japan the situation was much different. Cities had septic tanks and the content was sold under strict regulations to the farmers who used it as a fertilizer. In European cities people took a dump anywhere and everywhere. This is also probably why Europeans are predisposed to consume alcohol: only those who were genetically predisposed to drink booze instead of dirty water didn’t die out. Most Japanese don’t have the genes to help them quickly break down alcohol in their liver.

Being dirty pigs has served us well.  wink

[ Edited: 28 June 2012 11:54 AM by George ]

Posted: 28 June 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Not to mention the Europeans wiping out vast civilizations in the New World with disease organisms that the Europeans carried but had adapted to.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 28 June 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 28 June 2012 11:41 AM

Nothing unusual about cooking wih crap (hmm a new Martha Stewart cookbook theme) the Plains Indians and pioneer settlers used dried buffalo dung in lieu of wood. You’re a hell of a lot more learned in the bible texts than me Free, so my question is why did the big g want the Hebrews to cook with human dung? Was this some form of punishment, or just a cooking tip?

Cap’t Jack

On further review, it, apparently, is not a law or command, but rather, more like a prediction of hardships the people would be reduced to.  IOW, things would become so scarce, that human dung would be used for cooking fuel.

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2012 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 28 June 2012 11:46 AM

Well, being dirty did pay off for the Europeans. According to Gregory Clark in his “A Farewell to Alms,” the reason why the poor died out in Europe was due to their dire hygiene situation. (And as I already mentioned about a million times on this forum, the poor where replaced by the rich who were also more productive, smarter and less violent. This later culminated in what now call the Industrial Revolution.)

In Japan the situation was much different. Cities had septic tanks and the content was sold under strict regulations to the farmers who used it as a fertilizer. In European cities people took a dump anywhere and everywhere. This is also probably why Europeans are predisposed to consume alcohol: only those who were genetically predisposed to drink booze instead of dirty water didn’t die out. Most Japanese don’t have the genes to help them quickly break down alcohol in their liver.

Being dirty pigs has served us well.  wink

Perhaps that’s why many of the current generation of North American kids are weak and dying; they are too clean.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 28 June 2012 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

question

Who is dying?

1 of 3