2 of 3
eating babies?
Posted: 28 June 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3102
Joined  2011-08-15

Perhaps that’s why many of the current generation of North American kids are weak and dying; they are too clean.

If anything, they’re dying of obesity or at least shortning their lives with junk food.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 June 2012 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2651
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 28 June 2012 07:23 PM

question

Who is dying?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/AllergiesFood/year-virginia-girl-dies-allergic-reaction-school/story?id=15295949#.T-02PLWm-So

http://www.ajc.com/news/henry/teen-dies-after-apparent-1438242.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2135606/Girl-12-died-fathers-arms-allergic-reaction-dinner.html

http://www.suntimes.com/2966858-417/reaction-according-allergic-allergy-examiner.html

http://www.beyondapeanut.com/7_year_old_boy.pdf

There are many other examples online, but it seems to be a big issue with children who were born in the 1990’s, to more recently.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 28 June 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 28 June 2012 07:52 PM

Perhaps that’s why many of the current generation of North American kids are weak and dying; they are too clean.

If anything, they’re dying of obesity or at least shortning their lives with junk food.

Cap’t Jack

That too.

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2012 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

It wasn’t just the children born in the 90s. I have serious allergies, as do both of my middle aged sons. One of my sons and I have (different) nut allergies, and my other son has a sulfa allergy. A friend’s mother died in the 1970s at a football game when she accidentally ingested an item made of peanut. I think these allergies are more prevalent, but I also think they are more widely publicized than they were even when my children were young. People also play fast and loose with the word, declaring an allergy to things they are not actually allergic to, much to the consternation of those who actually have to deal with them. Currently, gluten ‘allergies’ are a popular fad. Inability to process gluten is a serious issue, and to have all of these people declaring an allergy to gluten without understanding what a real allergy is, is frustrating, “I just don’t have a lot of energy, my neighbor told me I’m allergic to gluten, so now I’m on a gluten free diet” is a common conversation. On the other hand, it has publicized a very real condition, and manufacturers are breaking their necks making the next gluten free food….

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 June 2012 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Growing up in the 50’s I knew very few kids or parents with allergies and never heard of allergies to peanuts in any form. Now school systems especially are absolutely paranoid about anything with peanuts included. They even taut the schools as “peanut free”. Also, kids are allergic to foods with red dye! I was diagnosed with an allergy to pet hair but that wasn’t until I was in my 50’s and as my doctor said it’s normal to develop them later I life. We are so paranoid about allergies now and it seems that more and more people are being diagnosed every year. What’s happening? The pharmaceutical industry has commercials on every channel now along with the frightening side effects BTW. Could this epidemic be contrived to sell more products or we evolving to be allergic to everything?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 29 June 2012 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I think we have already discussed this before, but from what I heard, they are suspecting that many more people today suffer from allergies because we (or rather our immune system) don’t get exposed to enough germs to do what we are programmed to do. So the immune system goes berserk, kinda like a Border Collie who spends all day lying on a couch instead of herding sheep.

But it could also be that we can now diagnose allergies more easily than we ever used to. There is always that possibility.

Posted: 29 June 2012 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
George - 29 June 2012 05:49 AM

I think we have already discussed this before, but from what I heard, they are suspecting that many more people today suffer from allergies because we (or rather our immune system) don’t get exposed to enough germs to do what we are programmed to do. So the immune system goes berserk, kinda like a Border Collie who spends all day lying on a couch instead of herding sheep.

But it could also be that we can now diagnose allergies more easily than we ever used to. There is always that possibility.

I think there is something to both of those.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 29 June 2012 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

And to prevent your kids from suffering from allergies I recommend letting them play with a frisbee from a dry cow’s manure.  cheese

Posted: 29 June 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I’ve also read a lot on how it may have something to do with all the recycled air we breathe in.  All the dust, spores, microbes and whatnot that normally would be blown away simply get sucked into the system and pumped back out.  Don’t know how true it is, but it makes sense.  I guess.  Could also just be a bunch of back-to-nature hippie BS.  Who knows?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 29 June 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I think I’ve heard that kids in third-world countries don’t suffer from allergies as much as our kids do. I am sure their living conditions are a lot worse than ours, even though they may be more “natural.”

But one thing does drive me crazy in Canada: people won’t open the bloody windows. Not sure what’s up with that. It made sense in Spain where people kept their windows closed during the day not to let in the hot air, but here most people will keep their windows closed even whe the temperature is around the lovely 20 degrees.

Posted: 29 June 2012 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 29 June 2012 09:08 AM

I think I’ve heard that kids in third-world countries don’t suffer from allergies as much as our kids do.

....either that, or they die from the serious allergy quickly, because they have no treatment, or they die from other ailments before allergies develop..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 June 2012 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Good point, Asanta!

Posted: 29 June 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I also thought about both possibilities. Growing up in that time period we played outside daily at school and at home. In fact our parents wanted us to go outside. We usually didn’t go in until dark even in the Winter months so our exposure to the elements was much more than today. We also had no airconditioning so all of the windows were constantly opened even in Summer. We had a window fan to circulate the air. BTW, anyone remember when the only air conditioned building was the movie theater? Sooo, our exposure to germs was constant. That may account for it.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 June 2012 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

I’ve never had any allergies what so ever; maybe there is something out there that I’m allergic to, but haven’t come in contact with it yet.

The hygiene hypothesis has always seemed like a good one to me though; It makes sense because I’m a filthy animal.

Signature 

Posted: 02 July 2012 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24

My mother very allergic to shellfish, but nobody else in my family is.  I wasn’t either until my mid-teens.  I remember the first time I had a problem I was eating an egg roll and my mouth went numb.  It was a strange experience, but I thought nothing of it.  The next week I ate some shrimp and my mouth again went completely numb and I could feel the roof of my mouth start to swell.  I later found out that the egg roll had shrimp in it.  After that, I avoided shellfish.  Every so often when I’m at a restaurant, my mouth will go numb and my throat and the roof of my mouth swell and it always turns out that my food was cooked in the same oil or on the same grill as shellfish.  I now I have an EpiPen just in case, although I have yet to use it.

Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

2 of 3