3 of 3
Brontosaurus ride
Posted: 28 June 2012 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3069
Joined  2011-11-04
VYAZMA - 25 June 2012 11:47 AM

TimB-Some Japanese scientists are planning to bring back wooly mammoths, if they can get some viable DNA, and have already selected an area in northern Siberia for them to live.  Since we humans probably helped push them over the edge to extinction, maybe it is the ethical thing to do to bring them back.

From an ethical point of view, your standpoint is incorrect.  Plus unless I’m mistaken, wooly mammoths exited due to warming climates. Mammals started getting smaller at that time too.  There used to be all kinds of giant sized mammals around that time.
Even if humans hunted them to extinction(like the American Bison-practically) it is just a product of nature.
But subjectively…from an ethical standpoint, let’s not bring them back!  This is human world now, most animals suffer here.(including most humans!)

Archeological evidence suggests that human hunters contributed to their demise, though perhaps they only expedited it.  Who knows, if there had been no humans hunting them, there might be little mammoths in the continent today.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 28 June 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I recommend reading THIS on the extinction of large animals and THIS on America’s wild animals at Gregory Cochran and Henry Harpending’s excellent blog. One of the best there is!

Warning: This blog is not recommended for politically correct individuals!

Posted: 28 June 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  3159
Joined  2011-08-15

I don’t know George, it appears that there are at present as many as 4 scenarios for the killing of the megafauna including a potential blast by a comet. Check out the Nova site:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/end-big-beasts.html

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 June 2012 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Of course. But I thought the topic has shifted to the more recent extinction of large animals. Cochran’s post is obviously not talking about the dinosaurs.

Posted: 28 June 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  3069
Joined  2011-11-04

It’s no big jump of thought, that humans, to some extent, played a part in the extinction of the Mammoths.  In our very recent history, as previously noted, we almost wiped out the buffalo.  Due to ethical stances, by some, the buffalo were, eventually, assisted in avoiding extinction. 

There would be ethical considerations to be made if the Mammoths were brought back, but it would surely be interesting.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 28 June 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Sorry, Jack, I didn’t have time to look at the link you provided until now. I assumed it was referring to the extinction of dinosaurs. I now see it discusses the more recent large animals. Thanks for the link.

Posted: 28 June 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  3159
Joined  2011-08-15

No problem George, I hadn’t heard about the comet scenario in reference to the megafauna extinction. Scary!

Cap ‘t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

3 of 3