Can You Have a Meaningful Life Without an Afterlife?
Posted: 24 June 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14

`

From a blogpost by the ‘Friendly Atheist’ today:

At the Oklahoma Freethought Convention yesterday, Seth Andrews debuted his latest video - Afterlife - and got a standing ovation from the crowd. Well deserved, too.

This is a really beautiful video. A lot of popular YouTube atheists answer the question of how they get through the day knowing there’s no afterlife awaiting them. In short, they show us that a secular life is far from empty or meaningless”:

‘Afterlife’

`

If you’re a listener of atheist podcasts, you might recognize some of the voices ~ Matt Dillahunty (‘the Atheist Experience’) and Seth Andrews (‘The Thinking Atheis’) among them…..

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 24 June 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
Axegrrl - 24 June 2012 01:53 PM

Can You Have a Meaningful Life Without an Afterlife?

Good video, got me to musing

~ ~ ~

The image at 2:30~2:40 hit a spot. 
You know, I never have enough time in a day, between work, chores, the family/friends, etc., struggling to cut out hours for myself, and then I’m busy doing my thing, knowing every minute is precious…....  then that picture - men standing there in front of a wall, bobbing like dashboard ornaments for minutes, hours, days, lifetimes. 

Makes me dizzy to think of all those millions who are satisfied with spending huge chunks of their lives repeating ancient words that don’t explain, or do, anything.  Pretending that the real world doesn’t exist outside their sanctuaries.  While perpetuating the practice of hostile tribalism.  Lordie,lordie it just don’t make no freak’n sense to me.
~ ~ ~

“...it’s amazing to me how many people live for dying.”

This one reflects my perspective regarding this question of being at peace with the knowledge that my death will be the end of my consciousness.., of me. 
I take comfort in knowing that my life has touched others and it will echo for a while.  Also I take comfort in knowing that materially all I am continues to be part of the biosphere and the pageant of evolution… or, creation as i like to say. 

In fact, that’s one of beauties of understanding the long history of our planet, evolution and all that, it put’s life into a good, nearly eternal perspective, being one with my planet and all that wavy-gravy stuff. 

Within me functions the labors and learning of millions, nay billions of years worth of experimentation and learning and building.  And my life and actions have now been added to the endless pageant… pretty freak’n cool in my book!  That is so fantastically groovy, I could rant like an evangelical preacher, but I don’t have enough ego for that.  Think I’ll stick to writing.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This is worth repeating - at 2:45
“another problem that the concept of an afterlife, it diminishes the value we place on our lives in the here and now”

Nothing has ever lived forever.
What’s wrong with being thankful and appreciating the blessings I’ve (u’ve) been granted?
For me it is, to be a healthy sentient being capable of reflecting upon the fantastic world I’ve been blessed to witness.

I am very happy that I’m among those people who experience and savor each day, rather than suckling of the sensual boobs of religion in order to disconnect from the real living world.

=========================

At 5:10: “I am this collection of my memories, hopes, dreams, desires.  My consciousness exists as the product of the brain that is within this body   . . .”
Maybe it’s nit-picking but he left out all the environmental stuff, not just the exterior environment,
but the environment of the body that’s attached to this individual consciousness of ours.
That union and conflict between the various aspects of ourselves.
inner struggles, exterior struggles:

pretty white boy or girl, economic advantages beyond merit,
healthy body, or one that undergoes challenges, struggles and pain,
physically attractive, physically not attractive,
socio-economic standing of your family,
etc,
etc.

But, that’s a digression.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This is a very cool video…

Three cheers for Thunderf00t!
He nailed it at 5:45, give it a listen.}
~ ~ ~

6:25
“Just because there’s no grand scheme that it plays into, doesn’t mean there’s not something beautiful about what’s going here”
~ ~ ~

6:40
wise words from a real world goddess…  wink

8:10
Damned Straight !

============================================

Thanks for sharing Axegrrl, that was really beautiful. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeMoOJpvUlU

PS.
I’m not a Woody Allen fan, but he does have his gems:
“I’m not afraid of dying, I just don’t want to be there when it happens”

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 24 June 2012 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14
citizenschallenge.pm - 24 June 2012 04:11 PM

“...it’s amazing to me how many people live for dying.”

This one reflects my perspective regarding this question of being at peace with the knowledge that my death will be the end of my consciousness.., of me. 
I take comfort in knowing that my life has touched others and it will echo for a while.  Also I take comfort in knowing that materially all I am continues to be part of the biosphere and the pageant of evolution… or, creation as i like to say. 

In fact, that’s one of beauties of understanding the long history of our planet, evolution and all that, it put’s life into a good, nearly eternal perspective, being one with my planet and all that wavy-gravy stuff. 

Within me functions the labors and learning of millions, nay billions of years worth of experimentation and learning and building.  And my life and actions have now been added to the endless pageant… pretty freak’n cool in my book!

`

beautifully said there, cc :)  And wow, you offered so many great points/reactions to the vid…...I’ve only viewed it once, myself ~ now I’m going to have to watch it again to check out the specific moments you highlighted!

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 25 June 2012 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I listen to the Thinking Atheist podcast regularly and had been looking forward to this video for a while. I was not disappointed. Very beautifully done and inspiring.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell