1 of 2
Americans more likely to believe in UFO’s than Evolution
Posted: 27 June 2012 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2229
Joined  2007-04-26

This recent study reports that 36% of Americans believe in UFO’s. I was trying to remember what percent of Americans believed in evolution and came across this gallop poll. If you look at the numbers it is actually more likely that an American will believe in UFO’s than in the purely scientific theory of evolution ( ie: God had no part in it).

What a sad commentary on the intelligence and education of the average man/ woman in this country or more accurately a scary statement about the ability of fundamentalist religions to brainwash our citizens.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 27 June 2012 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4858
Joined  2007-10-05

But, but…

You can’t blame it on religion, right? That’s the standard rebuttal to all manner of ignorance, mayhem and violence perpetrated in the name of religion.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 27 June 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

It’s my contention that since the 1970s, the conservatives have worked very hard to underfund education which has been very effective in dumbing down the U.S. public.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 June 2012 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24

Not surprising at all.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 28 June 2012 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2011-09-13
Occam. - 27 June 2012 10:26 PM

It’s my contention that since the 1970s, the conservatives have worked very hard to underfund education which has been very effective in dumbing down the U.S. public.

Occam

I agree and when those who are attempting to dumb others down get in power they usually attack those with the most education because they seldom fall for dogma and bigotry.  All you have to do is read the history books of what has happened in nations when the far right has come to power.  In other words, they are scared as hell at having to deal with people who can think for themselves.

Posted: 28 June 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2012-04-25

I guess I don’t see the problem with belief in UFOs being greater than evolution.  Every other movie or “documentary” is about aliens in some regard or other so you’d expect more people to have at least considered the idea. On the other hand when’s the last time you saw an action flick about evolution?  The real problem I have is that 99% of the alien-themed movies or TV shows portray aliens in an extremely negative light (Ancient Aliens being the exception, and a couple others).  There’s something very wrong about that attitude, not relating to aliens per se, but to “the other”.  If producers can get people to fear aliens, seems like a small step to make them fear outsiders in general, and hence anyone outside of the US.

Posted: 28 June 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3250
Joined  2011-08-15

Occam

In the 19th Century the Southern slave holding states passed laws against educating slaves. It was illegal to teach a slave to reread or write as this would cause them to be “truculent” to their masters. The planters feared an uprising led by educated Arfican-Americans that would sweep the south and create a rebellion. This continued with Jim Crow until 1954. Don’t forget child labor in the early 20Th Century either. Low wages, long working hours, a 6 day week and no unions meant legal slavery for the working poor. The industrialists who back the conservatives would very much like to return to the “good old days”. There has been a concerted effort by conservatives to revamp the educational system and tie it directly to the needs of industry only. Academic classes have been downplayed for more applied curriculum and vocational Ed. systems are springing up like mushrooms. In some states history classes have been dumped and students are ignorant of the legal system. They have no, or a limited knowledge of how their own government works. Our government classes last year were cut to one semester instead of a year. One semester to teach students how their own gov’t works! An ignorant electorate means… .

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 June 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

That is good news, because as people move away from traditional Christianity, they might not leave religion entirely, but instead they may take a first step away from the gods.  Where might they go?  What else could they believe in?  What else could be out there?  Well maybe there are alien visitors, science says that there are other worlds, and there are so many that they could be inhabited, and if so many are inhabited then maybe some could be intelligent, and some capable of interstellar travel, and some able to find Earth.  It is not rigorous science, but it is a step away from the gods towards science.

And is there anywhere they could go to find their way, to find a source that examines the line between the science and the non-science, a periodical that helps them to sort out the good from the bad information?  Maybe the CFI publishes such a magazine?

Yeah, UFOs are annoying, ruining TV channels that are supposed to be good ones with history shows about “Ancient Aliens”, but couldn’t it be a step in the right direction?  Take heart skeptics, you just have to meet people were they are at, not at the point that you want they to be at.  grin

The anti-evolution crowd is completely separate, don’t you know?

[ Edited: 28 June 2012 03:03 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 28 June 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, the preachers will merely claim that the aliens are messengers from god (or christ) so they can strengthen their sermons.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 28 June 2012 03:12 PM

Nah, the preachers will merely claim that the aliens are messengers from god (or christ) so they can strengthen their sermons.

Occam

And that’s when I’d like the Alien chest burster to spring forth from the preacher and scare the Jesus out of the congregation.  LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 28 June 2012 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
harry canyon - 28 June 2012 03:41 PM

Occam

And that’s when I’d like the Alien chest burster to spring forth from the preacher and scare the Jesus out of the congregation.  LOL

Take care,

Derek

lol, yes!

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 29 June 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Occam

You’re right, of course.  Christianity is greedy, they’ll embrace any secular idea and claim it for Christianity that they can get their hands on.  I remember how severely and viciously they condemned burned and broke all of those Rock ‘n’ Roll records of the past saying that, “Rock ‘n’ Roll has got to go, go, go, go!”

But now-a-days just look at ‘em, they’re using all the Rock ‘n’ Roll pyrotechnics, lights, theatrics, PA systems, and the crowds are lifting up their hands and waving them left and right… they’re having Rock concerts and claiming that they are Christian gatherings!!!!!  LOL  The irony of it astounding, and so funny, I just love irony, I just love to see the tables turn.  Good for them that they are enjoying themselves too, I want to join the party too… but they call those Rock concerts Christian?  I doubt it, its just a party.  smile

Right now I can see a young man wearing a T-shirt that says, “What wouldn’t Jesus do?” and it pictures Jesus hang-gliding!  The greedy Christianity will claim any idea for themselves.  And this in Sin City (New York City), now what’s a man like him doing here?  smile

[ Edited: 29 June 2012 11:37 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 29 June 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
harry canyon - 28 June 2012 03:41 PM

Occam

Take care,

Derek

Yes.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 29 June 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
jump_in_the_pit - 29 June 2012 10:19 AM

You’re right, of course.  Christianity is greedy, they’ll embrace any secular idea and claim it for Christianity that they can get their hands on.  I remember how severely and viciously they condemned burned and broke all of those Rock ‘n’ Roll records of the past saying that, “Rock ‘n’ Roll has got to go, go, go, go!”

But now-a-days just look at ‘em, they’re using all the Rock ‘n’ Roll pyrotechnics, lights, theatrics, PA systems, and the crowds are lifting up their hands and waving them left and right… they’re having Rock concerts and claiming that they are Christian gatherings!!!!!  LOL  The irony of it astounding, and so funny, I just love irony, I just love to see the tables turn.  Good for them that they are enjoying themselves too, I want to join the party too… but they call those Rock concerts Christian?  I doubt it, its just a party.  smile

Right now I can see a young man wearing a T-shirt that says, “What wouldn’t Jesus do?” and it pictures Jesus hang-gliding!  The greedy Christianity will claim any idea for themselves.  And this in Sin City (New York City), now what’s a man like him doing here?  smile

I bet you don’t smell nearly as much dope (marijuana) at the Christian rock concerts… cool smile (Although I wish ‘you’ did, might mellow them out a bit. It would also increase food vendor sales considerably.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 29 June 2012 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, they’ll wait until they’re on their way home when they give their girlfriends a Dr. Pepper spiked with GhB.  That way, when the girls wake up they’ll realize they’ve been violated by the evil spirits of rock ‘n roll. 

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  4573
Joined  2007-08-31

Suppose an alien steps out of the UFO and says that evolution really is correct…

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

1 of 2