2 of 3
The SCOTUS vote on health care, what its not and what it is
Posted: 02 July 2012 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
Dead Monky - 02 July 2012 08:48 AM
Jeciron - 29 June 2012 09:56 AM

If you don’t care about the state of the U.S. health care system it’s probably only because you don’t know anyone who is not extremely wealthy, and/or neither you nor any of your aquaintances are self-employed, or have a pre-existing medical condition, or is a cancer survivor, or suffers from a chronic condition or a debilitating disease, or have family members with any serious medical problems.  It must be nice.

Let’s see, I live below the poverty line as do most of my friends and family; my step-father is self-employed and diabetic; I still owe a couple grand from my gallbladder surgery a couple years back; both my gf and myself need some sort of help with depression; and so on.  I have plenty of reasons to care.  Yet I don’t.  I don’t care because I’ve simply grown too disillusioned, cynical, and apathetic to give a damn about much of anything.  I could go into why, but I don’t really have the time right now.

Yeah, I feel ya.  But perhaps your deperssion is playing a major role in your apathy/disenchantment.  Anyways, you should care a little because there are wheels turning, and people working to improve your situation.  There are also people who are willing to ignore you. They are 100% dependant on your apathy and indifference.
They are 100% driven by profits and insurance schemes and medical institutions that are purely profit driven.  You represent a drain on their profits as far as they are concerned.
You have stated pre-conditions and you say your income is currently insufficient for their costly systems. They want you to go away and not be seen or heard. Period!!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 02 July 2012 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Eh, nothing I can do about it.  Besides, it’s not like the people pushing health care crap through Congress actually care.  They just want to win over votes.  And most of the other people only care because then they’ll get covered.  Also, I doubt any of this will really work out very well.  Costs will either be more than estimated, coverage will be terrible, the most useful portions will get cut or neutered in compromise, or whatever.  It’s just more thing for the country to bicker over.  Good lord.  For how intelligent we are as a species we act like a bunch of petulant, self-righteous children.

And you’re right.  My cynicism, apathy, and general disdain for my fellow man get far, far worse when my depression gets bad.  Like it is now. LOL

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 02 July 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
Dead Monky - 02 July 2012 09:11 AM

Eh, nothing I can do about it.  Besides, it’s not like the people pushing health care crap through Congress actually care.  They just want to win over votes.  And most of the other people only care because then they’ll get covered.  Also, I doubt any of this will really work out very well.  Costs will either be more than estimated, coverage will be terrible, the most useful portions will get cut or neutered in compromise, or whatever.  It’s just more thing for the country to bicker over.  Good lord.  For how intelligent we are as a species we act like a bunch of petulant, self-righteous children.

And you’re right.  My cynicism, apathy, and general disdain for my fellow man get far, far worse when my depression gets bad.  Like it is now. LOL

C’mon bro! Be the rainbow striped Panda that shoots lasers out of it’s eyes. I’m supposed to be the doomsayer here.
For every 1 step forward, we take one sideways or backwards again. That’s the way it is. There are some who just don’t want to win over votes. Why wouldn’t you want people to care if they are getting covered? I mean I see what you meant there, people are just self-interested. And only expect handouts and freebies.  Yeah, basically! That’s humanity in a nutshell.
What we need to work for is getting the freebies(term used loosely and with license.) to the right people.  Right now pigs and warmongers and polluters get the freebies. It’s a constant fight.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 02 July 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
VYAZMA - 02 July 2012 08:48 AM
mid atlantic - 02 July 2012 03:27 AM
Jeciron - 29 June 2012 09:56 AM

If you don’t care about the state of the U.S. health care system it’s probably only because you don’t know anyone who is not extremely wealthy, and/or neither you nor any of your aquaintances are self-employed, or have a pre-existing medical condition, or is a cancer survivor, or suffers from a chronic condition or a debilitating disease, or have family members with any serious medical problems.  It must be nice.

I have a chronic condition, and I don’t care about the state of the US health care system.

You must have health insurance then? A health insurance that you are mostly satisfied with.

I do have insurance, although I’m not satisfied with it.

I’m not suffering financially though.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 03 July 2012 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

There was a pretty interesting review on Fresh Air last night with Adam Liptak, smart fellow that one.

Assessing The Supreme Court’s Recent Term

The health care case wasn’t the only important decision rendered by the court during its recent term. New York Times reporter Adam Liptak rounds up the session’s most important cases — including ones addressing immigration, campaign finance and Guantanamo detainees.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 04 July 2012 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  3349
Joined  2007-11-21
asanta - 29 June 2012 10:47 AM

When you have to pay cash, you are penalized, and pay a much higher price than others do.

That’s true, and it’s because of the law.

Providers who wish to give a discount to hard cases cannot do so because the law forbids it.  It’s government interference at work.

Posted: 04 July 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2012-07-04

If it is wrong for pigs and warmongers and polluters to get the freebies, why is it right for others to get tax funded freebies? If need is the justification, are there any needs that fail to justify tax funded freebies? If there are some needs that fail to justify freebies, what are the distinguishing factors between those that do and do not justify tax funded freebies?

Alternatively, do we just let the politically and legally strong decide who the “right people” are to get the freebies?

Posted: 04 July 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26
Bryan - 04 July 2012 11:54 AM
asanta - 29 June 2012 10:47 AM

When you have to pay cash, you are penalized, and pay a much higher price than others do.

That’s true, and it’s because of the law.

Providers who wish to give a discount to hard cases cannot do so because the law forbids it.  It’s government interference at work.

This is not entirely true. Doctors who participate in Medicare can not offer a lower fee to anyone else than the one that Medicare pays but they can discount their services to the Medicare level for cash paying patients. They can also provide services at no charge if they are so inclined.

Doctors will not generally give cash paying patients the same discount as insurance covered patients though because there is no incentive to do so. Insurance companies get a discount ( more accurately it is forced upon the physician since the insurance company owns a large share of the patients in the market without which the doctor would go out of business) because they provide access to a large number of patients and guarantee ( that word is used loosely here ) payment. A patient walking in and paying cash may walk out without paying at all after services are rendered or may bounce their check. Since they pose a greater risk they pay a higher price.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 05 July 2012 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Dead Monky - 02 July 2012 09:11 AM

I for one am fortunate to have excellent health insurance which costs me very little through my employer. Yet I am, and always have been, a strong advocate of a British style single payer system in the U.S. The A.C.A. falls woefully short of that ideal, but maybe it’s a baby step in the right direction.

I have a lot of friends in similar situations who also support universal health care. It’s not all about self interest. There are some good guys out there. Even a few in politics.  wink

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 08 July 2012 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
student - 04 July 2012 11:55 AM

If it is wrong for pigs and warmongers and polluters to get the freebies, why is it right for others to get tax funded freebies? If need is the justification, are there any needs that fail to justify tax funded freebies? If there are some needs that fail to justify freebies, what are the distinguishing factors between those that do and do not justify tax funded freebies?

Alternatively, do we just let the politically and legally strong decide who the “right people” are to get the freebies?

Nobody lets the politically and legally strong do anything.  They just do it.  Period!  I’m not being rhetorical here, that’s the facts.
Any perceived “carrots” are just that-scraps thrown from on high to appease the masses.(the whole thing is elementary, the perceived complicated issue is illustrating what, who, how,and where things are thrown down from on high.  And from where. It’s basically a trickle down “representative legslation” dog and pony show acted out by a majority of career buskers who are bought and sold!  Bribed and Owned.)
Now after that little clarification-and feel free to dispute that if you wish-the rest is what you personally feel ideologically.
Please don’t bother with any ideological disputes for either of our benefits thank you.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

83% of doctors surveyed say they’ve considered quitting because of Obamacare.  That’s right.  83 freaking percent.  Suck on that liberal scum!
Here’s a link

Wait, what?  You say there’s a rebuttal?  Yup.  Here it is.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 July 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Thanks for linking to the rebuttal. A friend had the first link of FaceBook. Guess what will be going up under his link in 5,4,3,2,1…  LOL

One thing about the first article really burns me up. It kills me to hear the argument that the ACA will create a vast shortage of doctors because more people will have access to medical care. Hello? Isn’t that the whole point?

There is nothing quite like hearing privileged white people whine about having to bear a small inconvenience so a few poor people can come to the table. Let ‘em eat cake, eh?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

If that poll is correct, it indicates that most of those doctors don’t think at all clearly.  After one spends ten to fifteen years preparing for a specific job then maybe another twenty years of practice in that job, it’s not going to be easy to find another job, even in a related area, that pays close to the level of compensation, even any restrictions from the Health program.  And, if the decreased compensation drives doctors away, Congress will be forced to increase it.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 July 2012 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2012-07-04

VYAZMA:

This response is late. I’m falling behind.

Considering you’re cynical response, should the legislative powers in our society be more limited? Hopefully you also find the cynical adjective flattering.

FreeInKy:

Is it right that one should bear a burden that some other party benefits from?

student

[ Edited: 12 July 2012 09:34 PM by student ]

Posted: 13 July 2012 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
student - 12 July 2012 09:24 PM

FreeInKy:

Is it right that one should bear a burden that some other party benefits from?

Absolutely. That’s part of what it means to belong to a society. It occurs in every nation on earth and I can’t imagine a functional society without it.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

2 of 3