8 of 8
Circumcision In Germany
Posted: 06 July 2012 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24
Axegrrl - 05 July 2012 11:24 PM
mid atlantic - 05 July 2012 05:40 AM

Since I’m for it and you’re against it, I don’t have any response that you’ll like.

`
Except that you haven’t offered any real ‘response’ (just your puerile “im a badass” quip) to my basic question, which was “what is your justification for violating the personal autonomy of another person, especially when your decision doesn’t affect you and will permanently affect the person whose choice you’re taking away”

Could you at least try to offer a substantive response to that question?

Could you at least do that?

`

I tried and I failed.

Justification is relative.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 July 2012 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

LOL  Something just occurred to me.

This whole issue is moot, because Circumcision is legal in America.

Also, on a darker note, even if it wasn’t legal, it wouldn’t be hard to find a Doc or rabbi willing to do it for a price.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2012 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Axegrrl - 05 July 2012 11:25 PM
mid atlantic - 05 July 2012 05:40 AM

Who cares about principle.

`
I really hope you’re not already a parent.

`

No, but I do punch babies a lot. smirk

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2012 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Total Posts:  3250
Joined  2011-08-15

Plus, in regard to George’s comment about us ‘still eating animals’.......I think that that might change too, eventually (but sure as hell not in our collective lifetime).  Because all of the progress we’ve made ~ black people finally being given the status of ‘citizen’, women getting the vote, same sex marriage becoming a reality ~ all happened as a result of consciousness raising and education. 

Groups of living beings that were once considered to be and treated as ‘other’ and ‘lesser’ came to be treated as ‘equal’.  And as history has marched on, we seem to have only moved forward in that regard ~ ever widening the thing we know as ‘our group’ to include beings that weren’t ‘allowed in’ at one time.  Let us remember that it wasn’t that long ago that suggesting that human beings are *gasp* animals too was scandalous and inspired outrage.  Now, we know a hell of a lot more than we did just 50yrs ago and we know how very closely related we are to others in the ape family and to all living things ~ we now treat animals like dolphins and chimps with quite a bit more respect and concern than we used to (for the most part).........if that trend continues (and our knowledge continues to increase), I don’t think it’s impossible to imagine a much more vegan/vegetarian-friendly world, if not a completely vegan world in the future.

Yes, and we have a long way yet to go as slavery, child mutilation, state sponsored execution of homosexuals, female inequality, ethical treatment of animals, and number one, the environment,  need to be continually addressed. Sorry to go far afield but it ain’t over yet. and as to eating meat you might want to read Richard Wrangham’s book “Catching Fire”, one George recommended. It speaks to the modern diet which includes meat. If we could find a suitable substitute being a vegan might not be so bad. But you’re right IMO about conscious raising and education. It has freed us from the negative aspects of the past. Personally, I’m an optimist and a progressive and we’ll see circumcision thrown on the trash heap of antiquated practices. And maybe religion as well. Just remember that over 90% of Americans still believe in the floppy book. We have a long way to go skeptics.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

8 of 8