RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I’m a sucker for this sort of thing.

http://vimeo.com/44658040

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 29 June 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

Thanks, F.I.K.

I’d be lying to say that I was optimistic most of the time, but I suspect we underestimate what we, as a species could achieve.  I often think of the period during the second world war.  In less than a decade the world completely changed technologically and scientifically.  Enormous advances in electronics, aeronautics, mechanics, nuclear physics, etc.  The world in 1946 would have been inconceivable to someone living a decade earlier. 

The great tragedy is that it took a world war with many millions of casualties to create the impetus, and it can be argued that sociologically the rate of change was not great, but that doesn’t negate the technological advances.  It’s hard to imagine what the human race could achieve if we could only find the right motivation.  It would be nice if it wasn’t another war…..

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 03 July 2012 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4848
Joined  2007-10-05

Yeah, unfortunately war does seem to be the great motivator of technological innovation. Maybe in the future hunger and a desire for reliable air conditioning will drive innovation.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 04 July 2012 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3206
Joined  2011-08-15

Yeah, unfortunately war does seem to be the great motivator of technological innovation. Maybe in the future hunger and a desire for reliable air conditioning will drive innovation.

Damn, I hope so. Gotta have my food and air conditioning. It’s humid as hell here after the great storm. Power in our area is still knocked out and ice has all but disappeared!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 September 2012 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-19

Always think positive and believe for what you are doing. Life is too short, so look forward to a better future.

Posted: 20 September 2012 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2012-08-27

cool video…

Posted: 20 September 2012 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

And yet war is a great control on overpopulation.  Plagues too.  And famine.  Not so much hamsters.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 21 September 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-08-27

Even if they dont agree, war has brought so much to eradicate overpopulation.

Posted: 21 September 2012 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Jennifer Stallone - 21 September 2012 09:34 AM

Even if they dont agree, war has brought so much to eradicate overpopulation.

So sad…ha, ha.

Posted: 21 September 2012 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3192
Joined  2011-11-04

Maybe we should just have Cold Wars, as we seem to need wars to afford some things that we could not otherwise justify the money for.  Cold wars do not have as much of the downside of actual violent wars.

But re: the video -  lofty aspirations and vision are a good thing.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 22 September 2012 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  6116
Joined  2009-02-26

I always seem to come back to the exponential function.

Wars and disease are bad but good for the problem of overpopulation. Peace and health are good, but bad for the problem of overpopulation.
As professor Al Bartlett demonstrates, you cannot have it both ways. It is the single greatest moral dilemma of mankind.

[ Edited: 22 September 2012 03:01 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 September 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 22 September 2012 02:53 AM

Wars and disease are bad but good for the problem of overpopulation. Peace and health are good, but bad for the problem of overpopulation.
As professor Al Bartlett demonstrates, you cannot have it both ways. It is the single greatest moral dilemma of mankind.

Overpopulation could be dealt with over time, simply by decreasing the birth rate.  No war needed.  A massive worldwide plague that only killed off human sperm, with no other adverse health effects, could do the trick.  Any mad scientists out there?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 22 September 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 22 September 2012 12:02 PM

Overpopulation could be dealt with over time, simply by decreasing the birth rate.  No war needed.  A massive worldwide plague that only killed off human sperm, with no other adverse health effects, could do the trick.  Any mad scientists out there?

IMO, that would not work. The population needs to be replenished with young and vigorous offspring. That is the problem with the exponential function. Even at 1% steady increase in population we will have a doubling of population in 70 years (a single generation).
http://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy_video1.html

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 September 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 22 September 2012 12:27 PM
TimB - 22 September 2012 12:02 PM

IMO, that would not work. The population needs to be replenished with young and vigorous offspring. That is the problem with the exponential function. Even at 1% steady increase in population we will have a doubling of population in 70 years (a single generation).
http://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy_video1.html

If we had a steady 1% decrease in new births, would the population be halved in 70 years? If so, would that be too much, too quickly? Are we addicted to an ever increasing population?

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

I’m not a mathematician, but IMO, a negative birth rate would result in a disproportionate distribution of aged and infirm people. Especially if we continue to find ways to extend life. Now, if we could find a “fountain of youth” and keep people “young” instead of “old and alive”, that would be something.

We do have an example in China, which mandates birth control. I am not sure if it is effective though. Time will tell.

I believe it was George who proposed that gradual decline is not likely. The drastic and sudden death of large numbers across the age spectrum due to a calamity is more likely and would not interfere with the fundamental natural function of procreation maintaining a natural balance of active youth and passive wisdom.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 23 September 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-08-27

I agree that there are other means to deal with over population however history would tell us that war has been. . .

1 of 2