Contemptible skeptical behavior - attacking climatologists
Posted: 02 July 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4270
Joined  2010-08-15

I know some of you are concerned with the harassment that climate scientist are being subjected.  If you want to give a little aid and support, read this article and consider adding your support to the comments section. 

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Nil_Illegitimi.html
Nil Illegitimi Carborundum
SkepticalScience.com
Posted on 1 July 2012 by Glenn Tamblyn

We have probably all heard reports of the abuse climate scientists have been subjected to for just doing their job and reporting what they find; the climate blogosphere has generated a very dark underbelly.

Few people have received more vitriol and unjustified abuse than Dr. Phil Jones at the University of East Anglia, but until recently few of us knew just how vile the threats and malice had been.  Recently the content of some of these emails was released by the UEA as a .pdf file here (warning, the content contains very crude language, and the sentiments are far, far worse).

{...}

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 02 July 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Despicable, and scary. A lot of it is fueled by the right wing nutjobs. I can’t understand why decreasing emissions could ever be considered a bad thing…..even if you believe the earth is not warming.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 02 July 2012 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4520
Joined  2007-08-31

Unbelievable. So much stupidity and anger!

Just three things I noted:
- the overwhelming number seems to be American
- many people seem to be Christians, who want to kill Phil Jones and his family
- a lots of conspiracy theory stuff in it

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 03 July 2012 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2012-02-02
asanta - 02 July 2012 07:04 PM

Despicable, and scary. A lot of it is fueled by the right wing nutjobs. I can’t understand why decreasing emissions could ever be considered a bad thing…..even if you believe the earth is not warming.

Because these people have turned the political philosophies of folks like Ayn Rand into a religion.  They’re more than willing to admit that something like Communism works great in theory, while failing to function in the real world, but cannot admit the same about their own philosophy.

Its akin to the anti-vaccination people who fail to realize that any dangers caused by vaccines are far outweighed by what would happen if disease ran rampant as it once did.  You’ll notice that neither group wants to move to Somalia, where they wouldn’t be bothered by such things.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 04 July 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

Can’t you just feel the Christian love?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 04 July 2012 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4520
Joined  2007-08-31
DarronS - 04 July 2012 05:56 AM

Hallelujah!!!

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 04 July 2012 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
GdB - 04 July 2012 06:11 AM
DarronS - 04 July 2012 05:56 AM

Hallelujah!!!

Hallelujah!!! again. . .

anything to shove that other nonsense down another few rungs  wink

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

http://www.cartoonistgroup.com/store/add.php?iid=41786

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 04 July 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2012-02-02
FreeInKy - 04 July 2012 10:34 AM

http://www.cartoonistgroup.com/store/add.php?iid=41786

On another forum I post to, someone linked to that exact cartoon and the reponse from those opposed to dealing with climate changed boiled down to the following:
1.) Its their inalienable right to live how they chose.
2.) If the benefits from dealing with climate change were so obvious, then people would want to do it, and no legislation would be necessary.
3.) There is no proof that trying to stop climate change would offer those benefits (because its all a secret plot to have us living in grass huts).
4.) If we’re too stupid to do something about it, then its “Darwin’s will” that we die.

All of which ignores some very important facts:
1.) Humans are lazy, selfish creatures who put short-term gain above long term benefits all the time.
2.) In order for humanity to do anything on a large scale, there must be some sort of framework for which them to operate in.
3.) Legislating measures to deal with global warming is not inconsistent with people wanting to do something about global warming.

Of course, these are people who scream that Obama should do “something” about Iran and North Korea, but when you point out to them that the only way in which we can really ensure that those nations don’t nuke someone is for us to initiate a military draft, raise taxes, and go “all in” as we did against the Axis powers in WWII, screech that you’re being an idiot.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 04 July 2012 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Coldheart Tucker - 04 July 2012 11:02 AM

All of which ignores some very important facts:
1.) Humans are lazy, selfish creatures who put short-term gain above long term benefits all the time.
2.) In order for humanity to do anything on a large scale, there must be some sort of framework for which them to operate in.
3.) Legislating measures to deal with global warming is not inconsistent with people wanting to do something about global warming.

hmmmm,  sounds like we might have a commie among us?

cool hmm

Signature