1 of 4
Back to the Stoneage
Posted: 03 July 2012 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Do you think there is a possibility that our civilization may be corrupted and changed into some sort of medieval christian or muslim “paradise”?

That Idea is one that really frightens me, if i look at the time -1k years before untill the Renaissance then i see that there is a large gap since the ancient times, and Madelyn Murry O’hare was right when she said that Columbus could have landed on the moon back in 1492 instead, and that we are not much more advanced (science and society) is due to the negative influence of the christian church(es).
In the US those ID Nuts are pressing for changes in the School system, and people are elected in to office because of their beliefe in christ.
In Europe it is even worse: At last it seamed that Europe had become a more rational place even with countrys like Spain denying the right of the church to tell them what to do, but now we have a lot of imported Islamists which are massivly supported by the left, or at least a bunch of idiots who think that they are the left.
I dont know what you think but i find it deeply disgusting to see a completely covered Woman and her husband in the clothes of Arabia 700Ad.
I see it the same way like i would see a SS-Uniform, its the attire of a dark, inhumane, violent irrational age, but in germany they even keep those who openly talk about the jihad, IMHO they should be sent back home, all of them, and we should take those poor people who are tortured and executed for being homosexual or for the crime of being raped by a group of misogynistic apes.
And its getting better, those dirty far right bastards, who have are gaining support by people who are frightened by islam, and so we (again) have another group of close minded idiots on their way to set the world on fire jet again (Some far right party leader in Hungary used a DNA-Test to “prove” that he is not of jewish or gipsy descent).

Am I to pessimistic?

Posted: 03 July 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24

Hmmm, I can’t tell.

Civilisation goes through good and bad eras if history can be trusted.  Here in the US, I think the people born from the end of WW2 until the late sixties had it better than my generation and the one after mine, at least in terms of life prospects - but it’s still quite good for us, however.  I think the US will balkanize - or at least try to sooner or later, it’s unlikely that you will see an America under the thumb of a theocracy.

I can imagine some European countries having huge trouble with the left and islam, to the point of war breaking out, but that would not mean going back to the stone age; it would mean the end of the sensuous lifestyle that Western Europe has had for the past 60 years.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 03 July 2012 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

Hmmm, I can’t tell.

Civilisation goes through good and bad eras if history can be trusted.  Here in the US, I think the people born from the end of WW2 until the late sixties had it better than my generation and the one after mine, at least in terms of life prospects - but it’s still quite good for us, however.  I think the US will balkanize - or at least try to sooner or later, it’s unlikely that you will see an America under the thumb of a theocracy.

I can imagine some European countries having huge trouble with the left and islam, to the point of war breaking out, but that would not mean going back to the stone age; it would mean the end of the sensuous lifestyle that Western Europe has had for the past 60 years.

Financially yes, our generation (baby boomers) did have it better after the war starting in late 46. This was a building time and jobs were abundant. The suburbs were created and money flowed as new industries came into being. It was a time when a single income could cover all the bills, Iike today. We started downhill with the advent of the Vietnam War and have been fluctuating financially ever since. As to Balkanization, we’ve been there and done that starting in 1861 when our country divided itself on cultural and political lines. What we’re seeing now is a shadow of that split ex. Red states in the south and mid west, blue states in the north and northeast. Iknow I’m being simplistic here as there are whole counties in the south that are blue but for the most part the south remains conservative while the north and far west is liberal. I doubt Balkanization will happen as the national government still controls the purse strings and more importantly, the military forces. As to Islamization, the xtian leaders in the states and in Congress won’t allow that to happen. Hell, the Muslims can’t even get a mosque built in Tenn.
What people need to remember in this country is that we still control the vote and they’re still two parties to choose from even we don’t like either of them and one has become increasingly conservative forcing the other to swing the other way. BTW, this will all end when the voting public wants it too. If you don’t like who’s in then campaign to vote them out. The system still works if enough disgruntled voters put and end to it. Everyone who whines about the Congress should exercise their right to dissent, not complain to their friends on facebook or wring their hands and say that this country is going to hell. If you think that then get off your butt and do something about it!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 July 2012 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  447
Joined  2012-02-02

We are, I think, on the cusp.  If we can hold the lunatics at bay for a few decades more, we should reach a point with our technology where those of us who have sense enough to throw off the shackles of ignorance don’t have to worry about being reduced to living in a second “Dark Age.”

It will not be easy, however, a bad natural disaster, or a deep economic downturn, and we could find ourselves ruled by whackjobs.  I am hopeful, but just barely, that we will make it.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 08 July 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
Coldheart Tucker - 03 July 2012 08:44 PM

We are, I think, on the cusp.  If we can hold the lunatics at bay for a few decades more, we should reach a point with our technology where those of us who have sense enough to throw off the shackles of ignorance don’t have to worry about being reduced to living in a second “Dark Age.”

It will not be easy, however, a bad natural disaster, or a deep economic downturn, and we could find ourselves ruled by whackjobs.  I am hopeful, but just barely, that we will make it.

but the lunatics seem to be multiplying like a bunch of drunk rabbits

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 08 July 2012 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
citizenschallenge.pm - 08 July 2012 12:23 PM

...thanks to ‘abstinence only’ sex ‘education’, and the ‘Good News Club’.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 July 2012 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
asanta - 08 July 2012 09:01 PM

...thanks to ‘abstinence only’ sex ‘education’, and the ‘Good News Club’.

121fs725372.gif

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 08 July 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  447
Joined  2012-02-02

Yes, I know.  I maintain that “Idiocracy” is a documentary and not SF, but there is some hope.  Not a lot, but it is there.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 09 July 2012 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

@midatlantic
I dont really think that the “normal” left would be a problem they would see islam as a great danger for civilization, but today you cant say that without being called a racist, so people dont dare to do that.

Posted: 09 July 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Do you think there is a possibility that our civilization may be corrupted and changed into some sort of medieval christian or muslim “paradise”?

Yes. That or worse. Whether or not it’s likely is debatable, but humans have tried all sorts of wild, insane, and crazy systems of government in the past and there’s no really good reason why it can’t happen in the future.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24
Alexander80 - 09 July 2012 01:06 PM

@midatlantic
I dont really think that the “normal” left would be a problem they would see islam as a great danger for civilization, but today you cant say that without being called a racist, so people dont dare to do that.

Ideology trumps practicality for some people. long face

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 23 September 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2012-09-14

In Europe it is even worse: At last it seamed that Europe had become a more rational place even with countrys like Spain denying the right of the church to tell them what to do, but now we have a lot of imported Islamists which are massivly supported by the left, or at least a bunch of idiots who think that they are the left.

Dont worry.  Professor Philip Jenkins mentions that:

“If we look at the size of Europe’s Muslim population today—and how it is projected to grow over time—then the Eurabian nightmares look ludicrous”

Source:
http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=10102
http://en.islamtoday.net/artshow-229-4053.htm

I dont know what you think but i find it deeply disgusting to see a completely covered Woman and her husband in the clothes of Arabia 700Ad.

What is your reasoning. I know people who question the burqa but I’ve never seen anyone who has objected to the Arabian robes in the same breath.
As for the woman’s clothes, you cant blame this on religion (given your use of the words ‘Islamists’)
They are free to culturally dress as please as long as they fulfills certain requirements.

They have been mentioned by the Canadain scholar Ahmed Kutty on a populat website.

1. It should cover her whole body except face and hands.

2. It should be loose-fitting.

3. It should not be transparent or revealing.

4. It should not be an attire specifically worn by men only.

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-the-scholar/morals-and-manners/dress-and-adornment/169830.html?Adornment=

If you still think this may be a little odd, you may find this quote from a psychology magazine interesting:

“in one study researchers randomly assigned men to view sexualized or nuetral images of women. They were then told that they would have to rate the female experimenter for a task unrelated to the
      images. When the men had just viewed sexualized images of different women, they rated the experimenter, even though she was modestly dressed, as less competent and intelligent.
      These studies are important because every time someone sees a sexualized image of a woman (which studies show are far more frequent than those of sexualized men), this likely is
      detrimental to how women are perceived.”

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-big-questions/201106/the-sexual-objectification-spillover-effect

see also professor Gad’s brief article on the claim that veiling is oppresive
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/homo-consumericus/201110/the-beauty-myth-versus-the-veil-feminist-perspective

Many women also an interesting feeling when wearing a veil:

“Suddenly the realization hit me in the face: Hijab is not a woman’s gift to a man; it’s actually the other way around! It’s a unique and precious wedding gift for her, a priceless moment, exactly what she
    needs to feel on her wedding. She is the woman, above any competition, the ultimate feminine princess of all the fairytales, and the sexiest cover model of all the glossy magazines, in the eyes of one
    man, the only one that actually matters, the only one who truly knows her and wants her for who she is because she is incomparable to any other woman.
      In his eyes, she will see the adoration she craves that she used to look for in all the wrong places, the pure love and sincere boyish wonder and surprise

http://www.onislam.net/english/culture-and-entertainment/iblog/450307-the-romantic-veil.html

But in germany they even keep those who openly talk about the jihad,

See
http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/terrorism-in-europe/

[ Edited: 23 September 2012 11:19 AM by I.J. Abdul Hakeem ]
 Signature 

Say: He is God, the Unique.
God, the Self-Sufficient.
He does not give birth, nor was He born.
And there is none equal to Him.

Quran (112: 1-4)

Posted: 23 September 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3326
Joined  2011-11-04
Alexander80 - 09 July 2012 01:06 PM

@midatlantic

There is a significant minority of persons, generally viewed as being liberals, who do consider that Islam is uniquely structured so as to be a particularly insidious threat to society.  (Including me.)

However, I don’t think that the U.S. is in danger of becoming an Islamic Theocracy, any time soon.  If you want to worry about the US becoming a theocracy, you should 1st be concerned about Christian fundamentalists.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 29 September 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19

For the past few months, I’ve been starting to wonder if our own government is now more of a threat to the US (and the world) than any imagined Islamic or Christian Theocracy….

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 29 September 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

And I have been wondering the same about Israel.

Posted: 29 September 2012 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

There is a significant minority of persons, generally viewed as being liberals, who do consider that Islam is uniquely structured so as to be a particularly insidious threat to society.  (Including me.)

However, I don’t think that the U.S. is in danger of becoming an Islamic Theocracy, any time soon.  If you want to worry about the US becoming a theocracy, you should 1st be concerned about Christian fundamentalists.

One of the reasons that an Islamic theocracy won’t happen here is the heterogeneity of religious beliefs here. We’re all not on the same team so to speak. Xtianity itself is divided into over a hundred sects from the Catholics to the protestant fundamentalist beliefs that are all over the map in their particular creeds. Not to mention the split offs like the Mormons,moonies and Scientology. We all don’t scream the same slogans in America nor worship the same prophet. Most Americans worship profit anyway. Also, as you have pointed out in other threads, Islam is an anathema to democracy and any believer who practices it is living in sin so the American version is, a mutated strain. This is not to say that we have nothing to fear from the far right religious wackos who would just love to get their hands on the seat of political power here. I strongly suspect that there’s is a hidden agenda anyway. Oops, conspiracy theory! So, we probably don’t have much to fear from a caliphate in America as long as trucks have shotgun racks and rebel flags.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

1 of 4