Dear Anthony Watts: “If the past is indicative of the future…” The Global Warming “Skeptic’s” Illusion
Posted: 03 July 2012 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

Anyone up for a good healthy rant?  I fella got me started on this earlier and after spending a few hours on it I figure I may as well share.  Just to let you folks know I haven’t gone soft or anything.   cool smirk

“If the past is indicative of the future…” The “Skeptic’s” Illusion

I do try to be patient and polite with “skeptic” questions and comments, but sometimes the dog-chasing-tail dialogue and obtuseness overwhelms.  The following comment came from someone who firmly believes there’s nothing out of the ordinary with our climate patterns, and that we should do nothing that might impact our dedication to corporate free market principles.  Well it got under my skin, and I had time on my hands, so I let him have it.  The attitude reminded so much of Anthony that I’ve decided to adapt that post to this little note dedicated to Anthony Watts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is written:  “If the past is indicative, we’ll have more and worse in the future, but we’ll also have more and better, and more of the better will overwhelm more of the worse.”

“If the past is indicative . . .”  Are you serious?

How is our planet… our biosphere equal to the one I inhabited in the early 1960s?

“If the past is indicative . . .”
would demand that the current situation is analogue to the past!
How would you justify that supposition?  Have any evidence?

and then i let ‘em have it  cheese

For the rest of it: http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2012/07/if-past-is-indicative-of-future.html
PS. it’s not very cheery about the future, sorry

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 04 July 2012 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  6160
Joined  2009-02-26

Just saw a program on tsunamis and it opened an entirely new aspect to global warming, other than rises in sealevel.  Apparently larger and larger chunks of the permafrost in the arctic are breaking off and a recent rift in the ice the size of Manhattan Island has been observed. If that size slides down into the ocean it will create a tsunami which might be comparable to or even greater than the recent Indian Ocean tsunami. If that happens it could wipe out entire coastal regions in the Northern Pacific and be a true global calamity, where millions of people might die and hundreds of millions might be displaced.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 04 July 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
Write4U - 04 July 2012 01:28 AM

Just saw a program on tsunamis and it opened an entirely new aspect to global warming, other than rises in sealevel.  Apparently larger and larger chunks of the permafrost in the arctic are breaking off and a recent rift in the ice the size of Manhattan Island has been observed. If that size slides down into the ocean it will create a tsunami which might be comparable to or even greater than the recent Indian Ocean tsunami. If that happens it could wipe out entire coastal regions in the Northern Pacific and be a true global calamity, where millions of people might die and hundreds of millions might be displaced.

Interesting, have a link or title?
I was aware that glacier calving could cause tsunamis but I figured it was a fairly localized thing. 
Not that those can’t cause a lot of pain:  “Giant Glacier Fall in Peru Causes Deadly Tsunami.”  But a super-duper tsunamis?
Oh gosh, you got me surfing the web and the layers of folds within folds of harmonic complexity continue to amaze.

How Melting Glaciers And ‘Mountain Tsunamis’ Threaten Himalayan Kingdom Of Bhutan

Melting glaciers in the Himalayas put the small Kingdom of Bhutan at risk. Not only are the “frozen reservoirs” a fundamental water source, but the melting can also cause GLOFS – aka: ‘mountain tsunamis’ - killer flash floods that occur when glacial lakes suddenly burst.

How Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Global Warming are Connected – A Plausible Theory
By Doyle Doss on January 20, 2012

“. . . A cubic foot of ocean water weighs 64.1 pounds. A 2 inch rise over one square mile (27,878,400 sq. ft. in a square mile) works out to 4,646,400 cubic feet of additional water which, when multiplied by 64.1 equals 297,834,240 pounds and then divided by 2,000 (lbs per ton), is 148,917.12 tons. Or very nearly 150,000 tons of increased water weight per square mile of ocean. . .”

Source: The Green Optimistic (http://s.tt/1b28p)

hmmm, interesting

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 04 July 2012 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  6160
Joined  2009-02-26

It was on TV and I thought of you when watching it. It was an hour long show. But damnit, I forgot to write down the title and forgot the channel. I am lookig!

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U