Special In Studio Episode: Jamie Kilstein, Ed Brayton, and More
Posted: 04 July 2012 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

Note: You can watch this episode on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgXJT8v4HhY

Host: Chris Mooney

For this episode of Point of Inquiry, we tried something a little different. At Center for Inquiry headquarters in Amherst, NY, we filmed a special hour long program with multiple in-studio guests, including the famed atheist comedian Jamie Kilstein. As usual, the program is also available as an audio-only podcast.

In either format, here’s what it contains:

When Doubt is a Crime: Michael De Dora, director of the Center for Inquiry Office of Public Policy in Washington, D.C., discusses the disturbing case of an Indonesian man who was recently sentenced to two and a half years in prison, just for questioning whether God exists.

Fox News Bashing, Redux: Chris Mooney responds to recent listener comments, some of them complimentary, some… not so much.

From the Culture Wars to… Chuck Norris: We talk with Ed Brayton, the blogger behind Dispatches from the Culture Wars and owner of the FreethoughtBlogs network, about recent church state issues—and his steady monitoring of everyone’s favorite right wing karate menace.

Gotta Keep ‘em Separated: We interview Jessica Ahlquist, the high school freethought activist who was recently victorious in her Rhode Island church-state lawsuit over a prayer banner displayed in her high school auditorium.

Jamie Kilstein: The hilarious atheist comedian and host of Citizen Radio discusses how he became an atheist, the future of the 99 percent, mixed martial arts, and his fighting challenge to conservative pundit Jonah Goldberg.

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/special_in_studio_episode_jamie_kilstein_ed_brayton_and_more/

Posted: 06 July 2012 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-12-09

Video on youtube is an excellent idea!

And the content sounds like it will be a lot of fun - good to lighten things up sometimes.

Wish there was a way to download this for viewing away from wifi signal.  Maybe that will come later?

Signature 

Brad

Posted: 08 July 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-03-06

I’m surprised there’s not more positive feedback on this episode; video works well, and this was a great lineup of guests.  Jamie Kilstein was a breath of fresh air; hopefully he’ll inspire progressives to develop a spinal cord when it comes to dealing with right-wing bullies.

Posted: 13 July 2012 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-04-05

Chris I just want to put it out there that there are indeed conservative or more libertarian atheists such as myself, who also know that infowars and the other sites listed by the comment you read are complete psycho babble(I suspect it was more of a troll comment).  I do agree with the comment though that it does get a little old with the number of leftist guests every week. I know I am a minority(I live in Texas even, its worse than you can imagine regarding atheists), but I have been a loyal listener for a long time and I want my opinion to be at least heard. I believe that global warming is real that something must be done about it mainly by the government because as an economist I understand that this is a textbook example of an externality. I do believe in equal rights for the LBGT community and women. I do not agree with Richard Dawkins about sexual harassment at conferences and I think Sam Harris is insane on Morality and the profiling of people(As Kilstein said). I just want you to know that we exist and I want to solve the same problems as most atheists, but it is extremely hard to get people to see my point of view in the conservative/tea party/libertarian circles that we can’t just ignore problems or make up facts to discredit these things. We need to do something about them, but I want to put forward solutions or ideas on how to achieve our goals from a more conservative/libertarian standpoint than the rest of the community. Science and evidence are my guiding light even in economics and I have let go many conservative/libertarian beliefs due to evidence and it is extremely hard, but we are out there!

I listened to about the first 20 minutes and was really engaged and decided to give the video version a shot and I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I only thought towards the middle of the Jamie Kilstein interview you let him veer a bit before you got him back on track, but it was still very enjoyable. I would like to see more of this style with multiple smaller interviews in video form.